Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Pittsburgh, PA Thread

meatwad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of you guys used a map of a storm just missing us as your avatar last season. North pgh maybe? Can't remember who. Anyway, I remember when you put that map up as your avatar, it was shortly after that, that the blizzard of 2010 hit us! I think the map showed a storm with a detour sign on the map putting away from Pittsburgh. You need to put that map back up as your avatar! Maybe it'll work again for us! :D

One of you guys used a map of a storm just missing us as your avatar last season. North pgh maybe? Can't remember who. Anyway, I remember when you put that map up as your avatar, it was shortly after that, that the blizzard of 2010 hit us! I think the map showed a storm with a detour sign on the map putting away from Pittsburgh. You need to put that map back up as your avatar! Maybe it'll work again for us! :D

that was a pic that i made last year...have at it if you want.

This is a usual Western pa. photo.

The warm tongue from hell.

This is not the current storm. I copied this from a map 3 or 4 years ago but we all know it happens quite a bit.

The signature is up. Let's try it again.

All the snowpack could conceivably absorb some amount of rainfall before excessive runoff becomes a concern, no?

I'm not sure. 12z NAM gives us almost 1" qpf, and most of it rain with temperatures getting into the low 40s towards the end of the event. Not sure the snowpack could absorb all that water, and it would likely contribute to the problem as it starts melting. Most of the ground will still be frozen, so the water will have nowhere to go but into the ice covered streams and rivers. Could definitely see some sort of flooding being a concern with this.

The colder solution (GFS) would not be without problems for the area either, as it shows significantly more icing possibilities. So its like choose your poison at this point.

I rather have 40s and rain instead of severe ice.

If it's going to be an ice event, let it be sleet instead of freezing rain.

I agree, I think it would actually be interesting to see what 1qpf of sleet looked like! Right now, it still looks like plain rain will be the main precip type though so even if we do get some ice Im not sure how severe it would be. 6z GFS gives us ~.15 of zr.

12z NAM seems to be going even further NW, so we are actually out of the heavier precip. Honestly, I hope that trend continues and we just get a front end thump of a couple inches of snow, maybe a bit of ZR / sleet, then the main storm precip misses us to the North.

Right on the edge of a serious ice storm per the GFS. At one point we get about .35qpf while temperatures are between 32.4 and 32.7. To me, I don't know that it would take much difference to get get a half degree colder for a portion of the heavier qpf. Of crouse I don't know how well the GFS surface temp forecasts do with this type of setup.

110202/0300Z 75 05010KT 29.5F FZRA 0:1| 0.0|| 3.2 0.071|| 0.42 0.00|| 0.06 0.07|| 0.10 0| 0|100

110202/0600Z 78 07007KT 32.4F RAIN 0:1| 0.0|| 3.2 0.185|| 0.60 0.00|| 0.06 0.00|| 0.10 0| 0|100

110202/0900Z 81 13007KT 32.7F RAIN 0:1| 0.0|| 3.2 0.130|| 0.73 0.00|| 0.06 0.00|| 0.10 0| 0|100

110202/1200Z 84 15008KT 34.2F RAIN 0:1| 0.0|| 3.2 0.201|| 0.93 0.00|| 0.06 0.00|| 0.10 0| 0|100

Right on the edge of a serious ice storm per the GFS. At one point we get about .35qpf while temperatures are between 32.4 and 32.7. To me, I don't know that it would take much difference to get get a half degree colder for a portion of the heavier qpf. Of crouse I don't know how well the GFS surface temp forecasts do with this type of setup.

110202/0300Z 75 05010KT 29.5F FZRA 0:1| 0.0|| 3.2 0.071|| 0.42 0.00|| 0.06 0.07|| 0.10 0| 0|100

110202/0600Z 78 07007KT 32.4F RAIN 0:1| 0.0|| 3.2 0.185|| 0.60 0.00|| 0.06 0.00|| 0.10 0| 0|100

110202/0900Z 81 13007KT 32.7F RAIN 0:1| 0.0|| 3.2 0.130|| 0.73 0.00|| 0.06 0.00|| 0.10 0| 0|100

110202/1200Z 84 15008KT 34.2F RAIN 0:1| 0.0|| 3.2 0.201|| 0.93 0.00|| 0.06 0.00|| 0.10 0| 0|100

GFS does tend to underestimate the inverted trough warm push in our area. For once that may be a good thing. I would think those temps would probably be slightly higher.

Of course this comment is purely anecdotal - and it's been a couple years since we've had this setup. So that idea doesn't account for differences in this particular storm, or changes the model may have undergone.

GFS does tend to underestimate the inverted trough warm push in our area. For once that may be a good thing. I would think those temps would probably be slightly higher.

Of course this comment is purely anecdotal - and it's been a couple years since we've had this setup. So that idea doesn't account for differences in this particular storm, or changes the model may have undergone.

This was my thinking as well. I think we get 1-2 inches over night Monday, changing to ZR, with maybe .1 before we get warm enough for all rain. Probably enough for some delays / cancellations on Tuesday but probably not terribly disruptive at this point.

The only thing I am not sure about is I keep hearing in the central threads that the system is still trending further West, and is occluding very quickly. I would think the combination of these two thing would weaken (at least initially) the strength of the warm air, but who knows.

I can say I am jealous of those guys, I saw blizzard watches have gone up. When is the last time KPITT had a blizzard watch? I guess on the bright side, GFS still looks cold and stormy through the run so who knows, we might get a decent snow before Winter comes to an end yet. Looks like without the blocking, the NW trend is back for now.

With the PNA going strongly negative, the NAO remaining positive and the AO going really positive, it seems as though our cold and snowy regime is over for the foreseeable future. Typical La Nina conditions will be able to assert themselves now, meaning a SE ridge and warm temps. Unless the blocking returns I guess our chances for a big one this winter are toast. It's especially obnoxious considering this could have been a really strong system for us had the cold air been locked in with a High to our north. I strongly dislike those dreaded warm & wet, cold & dry winters like we had for three of the last four years.

With the PNA going strongly negative, the NAO remaining positive and the AO going really positive, it seems as though our cold and snowy regime is over for the foreseeable future. Typical La Nina conditions will be able to assert themselves now, meaning a SE ridge and warm temps. Unless the blocking returns I guess our chances for a big one this winter are toast. It's especially obnoxious considering this could have been a really strong system for us had the cold air been locked in with a High to our north. I strongly dislike those dreaded warm & wet, cold & dry winters like we had for three of the last four years.

:unsure:

We've had almost 90" in the last 12 months.....and this will be the fourth season in a row with above average (40.6")

Morgantown climo is a little different, but it hasn't been that bad.

:unsure:

We've had almost 90" in the last 12 months.....and this will be the fourth season in a row with above average (40.6")

Morgantown climo is a little different, but it hasn't been that bad.

I should have specified I'm not from Morgantown, only living there for school. Prior to and including last winter my home was back in Philly, where La Nina ran rampant and we had very little snow over a three period. Last winter was amazing setting our record seasonal record by far--a mod/strong El Nino. So this year with a La Nina pattern returning, even temporarily, I just don't like to see it. It brings up too many bad memories. As such, I'm not really a La Nina fan and would prefer to see it just go away. To sum it up, outside of last winter, I hadn't seen a major storm since 2003, so I was actually enjoying what may be a shift toward snowier winters. Apologies for the verbose reply. The climate out here is different (mostly minor nuisance snows) and I would always like to see another major event. I can't get enough of them haha--there is spring, summer, and fall to be warm (or at least have no snow).

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

330 PM EST SUN JAN 30 2011

OHZ039>041-048>050-PAZ013-014-020>023-029-073-074-WVZ001-002-

310630-

/O.NEW.KPBZ.WS.A.0003.110201T0000Z-110202T0600Z/

TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-

LAWRENCE-BUTLER-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-WASHINGTON-

WESTMORELAND-WESTMORELAND RIDGES-HANCOCK-BROOKE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW PHILADELPHIA...DOVER...

UHRICHSVILLE...CARROLLTON...EAST LIVERPOOL...SALEM...COLUMBIANA...

EAST PALESTINE...WELLSVILLE...CALCUTTA...COSHOCTON...CADIZ...

HOPEDALE...STEUBENVILLE...NEW CASTLE...ELLWOOD CITY...BUTLER...

ZELIENOPLE...ALIQUIPPA...BEAVER FALLS...AMBRIDGE...MONACA...

BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...FORD CITY...

LEECHBURG...FREEPORT...APOLLO...INDIANA...WASHINGTON...

CANONSBURG...DONORA...CALIFORNIA...CHARLEROI...MONONGAHELA...

MCMURRAY...GREENSBURG...NEW KENSINGTON...JEANNETTE...LATROBE...

MONESSEN...LIGONIER...DONEGAL...NEW FLORENCE...ACME...CHAMPION...

TORONTO...WEIRTON

330 PM EST SUN JAN 30 2011

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE

TUESDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE

TUESDAY NIGHT.

* ACCUMULATION: 0.25 TO 0.5 INCHES OF ICE. 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING: LIGHT SNOW WILL BEGIN MONDAY NIGHT...CHANGING OVER TO

SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN BY TUESDAY MORNING. PRECIPITATION WILL

TURN OVER TO ALL RAIN BY LATE TUESDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS: ICE AND SNOW ACCUMULATION ON UNTREATED ROADS WILL LEAD

TO HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS. REPORT YOUR SNOWFALL

ACCUMULATIONS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING TOLL

FREE...1-877-633-6772.

&&

$$

Archived