• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New York Metro Area

earthlight

Even with the massive -NAO, theres still a SE ridge on the euro, guess it goes to show that the NAO is the only thing that controls the pattern over the East

post-519-0-81182300-1289741592.gif

As we move into December the overall gradient should drop in latitude making the map you posted inapplicable for when winter is really here. Like Alex said the NAO doesn't exert the same type of force in November as it does later on.

This is the opposite of 93-94 only it's producing similar results. This pattern a month from now would be bleeding Arctic air underneath the high heights. Evidence of this is the big high pressures that have been setting up over SE Canada over the last couple weeks.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even with the massive -NAO, theres still a SE ridge on the euro, guess it goes to show that the NAO is the only thing that controls the pattern over the East

post-519-0-81182300-1289741592.gif

It because the -NAO is east based and the PV is still way up over Northern Canada. That lets the SE ridge build up again, after a cold shot at end of next week. For us to keep cold air longer we need the Greenland ridge to shift farther west and the PV farther SE. The models and ensembles shows signs of that happening by 10 days.

Guest PDIIREDUX

looks like the NAO does get west based by turkey day with some really cold 850s and chance of snow.

Looks like the NAO builds down over greenland instead of across it which is a better way to get a west based block.

Could be a wave of LP coming up the front that moves through the day before.

As we move into December the overall gradient should drop in latitude making the map you posted inapplicable for when winter is really here. Like Alex said the NAO doesn't exert the same type of force in November as it does later on.

This is the opposite of 93-94 only it's producing similar results. This pattern a month from now would be bleeding Arctic air underneath the high heights. Evidence of this is the big high pressures that have been setting up over SE Canada over the last couple weeks.

Do you remember Nov 93?  I remember it started out really cold (sort of like how this one started) and then it got warm mid month-- the day of the marathon on the 14th it was in the 70s! and the 15th it hit 80 for the latest its ever done that.  Things started cooling rapidly around Thanksgiving-- as you would expect.  I sort of felt like the torch summer followed by the kind of fall we had telegraphed a cold snowy winter to follow.

Check out this gradient pattern developing on the 18z GFS long range. Pretty sweet. That is some pretty serious cold air north of the border.

f180.gif

Thank goodness I found you and this board. I don't know what I would have done without being able to read your threads during winter. Big sigh of relief. Indeed that is an incredible gradient.

Guidance has definitely trended towards less precipitation in relation to the isentropic lifting this morning/afternoon and more precipitation directly along the frontal boundary overnight tonight. The SPC WRF agrees with this (from last night 00z)..with the main precipitation mode being convective overnight into Wednesday morning.

Guidance has definitely trended towards less precipitation in relation to the isentropic lifting this morning/afternoon and more precipitation directly along the frontal boundary overnight tonight. The SPC WRF agrees with this (from last night 00z)..with the main precipitation mode being convective overnight into Wednesday morning.

Isn't that what usually happens anyway? Keep in mind, models are "smoothed out". They'll do well with precipitation fields, timing of heavy bands, etc, in stratiform events. Not so much in convective events.

day1probotlk_1300_wind.gif

TONIGHT...A BAND OF LOW-TOPPED STORMS IS EXPECTED TO BECOME BETTER

ORGANIZED ALONG THE COLD FRONT SWEEPING THROUGH THE PIEDMONT AND

COASTAL PLAIN. WHILE INSTABILITY IS FORECAST TO REMAIN WEAK /I.E.

MLCAPE VALUES LESS THAN 500-700 J PER KG/...THE INTENSE WIND FIELD

AND DYNAMIC FORCING FOR ASCENT SUGGEST THE POTENTIAL FOR A CORRIDOR

OF WIND DAMAGE AND POSSIBLY A FEW TORNADOES.

..MEAD/GARNER.. 11/16/2010

day1probotlk_1300_wind.gif

TONIGHT...A BAND OF LOW-TOPPED STORMS IS EXPECTED TO BECOME BETTER

ORGANIZED ALONG THE COLD FRONT SWEEPING THROUGH THE PIEDMONT AND

COASTAL PLAIN. WHILE INSTABILITY IS FORECAST TO REMAIN WEAK /I.E.

MLCAPE VALUES LESS THAN 500-700 J PER KG/...THE INTENSE WIND FIELD

AND DYNAMIC FORCING FOR ASCENT SUGGEST THE POTENTIAL FOR A CORRIDOR

OF WIND DAMAGE AND POSSIBLY A FEW TORNADOES.

..MEAD/GARNER.. 11/16/2010

Well, that was only shifted about 150 miles North from earlier!

Guest Patrick

Any ideas about the timing of this? I know it is tough to forecast convection at this time of year ( i remember a thread last year that detailed the autumn forecasting difficulties, from a met).

It was fairly easy to see coming, the models had been giving hints of this happening.

Guest PDIIREDUX

if memory serves me correctly, getting good convection in November has preceeded a few November snow falls

Nov 95 comes to mind, and I believe Nov 89?

if memory serves me correctly, getting good convection in November has preceeded a few November snow falls

Nov 95 comes to mind, and I believe Nov 89?

Yes and no. Convection in November can mean stronger cold fronts, which would be good, or it can also mean Lakes Cutters, which would be bad. There isn't much of a correlation.

Guest PDIIREDUX

Yes and no. Convection in November can mean stronger cold fronts, which would be good, or it can also mean Lakes Cutters, which would be bad. There isn't much of a correlation.

it was more of a good omen thing, not really a correlation thing :)

12z NAM likes this timing as well...interesting that last nights 00z SPC WRF was a bit slower and had less precipitation. Always something to keep an eye out for in these convective setups.

It's always interesting to see if we can get some of the stronger winds aloft to be brought down during the heavier downpours.

Archived