• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Greatest cold fronts of all time

Given the cold air that should (hopefully!) be moving into the east early next week, I was wondering what people here thought was the greatest frontal pasage they have ever experienced. As I posted in an another thread, the February 10-11th, 1967 front looks to have been absolutely astounding for Ottawa/Montreal, but that was well before my time. With regard to the last decade, I would have to say it wa the December 19th,2004 front:

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/hourlydata_e.html?timeframe=1&Prov=XX&StationID=4337&Year=2004&Month=12&Day=19

A runner up would be the January 14th, 1992 front:

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/hourlydata_e.html?timeframe=1&Prov=XX&StationID=4337&Year=1992&Month=1&Day=14

An arctic front that passed through Grand Forks when I was still in college. Amazing temperature drop with blizzard conditions along the front for 3 hours. Pretty widespread 20-30 degree F drops in temperature in one hour. I know Chicago dropped like 60 degrees or so in one day. One location in Montana dropped 41 degrees in one hour.

http://www.meteo.psu...08/us0130j3.php

If you are counting contours, the 850 temps range from around 5 degrees C in southeastern ND to -30C in northwestern ND.

post-999-0-09679400-1294693015.gif

No contest.. the great "Blue Norther" of Nov 10-11 1911. (although I wasn't around for it :) )

From Chris Burt's blog.. http://www.wundergro...html?entrynum=5

"Aside from the phenomena of thetornadoes (the most violent so late in the season on record for thenorth-central states), the frontal passage was even more notorious forthe incredible rapidity of the temperature change during its passage.Kansas City's temperature dropped from a record high 76° at noon onNov. 11th to a record low of 11° by midnight. Springfield, Missouridropped from a record 80° at 3pm to 13° by midnight. Oklahoma City fellfrom a record 83° at 1pm to 17° by midnight. Chicago dropped from 74°at 1pm to 13° by midnight, and the Monthly Weather Review stated "one man was overcome by heat and two others frozen to death in the short space of 24 hours".

An arctic front that passed through Grand Forks when I was still in college. Amazing temperature drop with blizzard conditions along the front for 3 hours. Pretty widespread 20-30 degree F drops in temperature in one hour. I know Chicago dropped like 60 degrees or so in one day. One location in Montana dropped 41 degrees in one hour.

http://www.meteo.psu...08/us0130j3.php

If you are counting contours, the 850 temps range from around 5 degrees C in southeastern ND to -30C in northwestern ND.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ilx/?n=012908-temps

20080129_12-6tDrop-mrcc.jpg

Mid to late Jan. 1977. Someone had posted Joe Sobel from Accu Weather giving the forecast on WIN NY. Temp. crashed 20-30 degrees in an hour. Winds 40-50mph. White out conditions as the front went through. Astounding.

Was at PSU for that one... went into the HUB with the sun shining - can out 15 minutes later to 20 degrees colder and an inch of snow on the ground. I'll never forget it.

Mid to late Jan. 1977. Someone had posted Joe Sobel from Accu Weather giving the forecast on WIN NY. Temp. crashed 20-30 degrees in an hour. Winds 40-50mph. White out conditions as the front went through. Astounding.

without knowing the others, this is the winner. Within an hour, went from 38F to -2F, whiteout conditions for several hours, and all without warning. Nothing will equal it. 1996, 1983, 2003, 1993 cannot compare to the thrill of this event on a small time scale.

Feb 7th 1963...The temperature was 25 at midnight after being in the 40's and -2 at day break 2/8/63...That was the third cold wave that winter...The one on 1/23/63 dropped temperatures from 46 to 20 at midnight with a snow squall and brief white out...The temperature hit 4 above day break on 1/24...

Feb 7th 1963...The temperature was 25 at midnight after being in the 40's and -2 at day break 2/8/63...That was the third cold wave that winter...The one on 1/23/63 dropped temperatures from 46 to 20 at midnight with a snow squall and brief white out...The temperature hit 4 above day break on 1/24...

That was one cold morning in my NNJ area; we had -14 and it was quite breezy. The forecast the previous evening had been for a low of about 20 in the city. Next day the mets were saying something about some midlevel frigidity sliding down to ground level. The afternoon forecast revision on 2/8 called for a low that night of -5 to -10, in the city, but the cold was as fleeting as it had been unexpected - temps on 2/9 at NYC were 34/11. For me, the most memorable cold front of that winter hit on 12/30, with NYC dropping from 35 to 5 accompanied by winds gusting 60+ (as the Packers and Giants tried to play for the NFL champoinship at Yankee Stadium.) On the 31st, Central Park had 13/4 with their strongest recorded Dec winds in 130+ yr of records. I think it was gusting near 70 in NNJ, enough to tip large oaks, amazing considering they were leaf-off and the ground was frozen. Only the 1950 App gale challenges those winds in my experience, with Hazel and Bob fighting for 3rd. Those New Year's Eve winds were the backside of central Maine's greatest snowstorm.

Steepest temp drop I've seen came from the 1976 groundhog day gale in Maine, the storm that drowned BGR (at least the downtown parking.) At 1 PM in Ft. Kent it was 44 with rain coming to an end and strong SE gales. 5 hr later the gales were NW, it was flurrying, and the temp was -6. I had no chance to check temps until 4 PM, at which time it had plummeted to 6 above. Another FK cold front in Jan 1978 was less in magnitude but even more sudden. At 10:30 PM on 1/9 it was 40 and clear after a 1" rain/thaw. 15 minutes later it was 24 with frequent thunder and hail and gusts to 45 in the only Jan TS I saw up there, and by 11:30 it was 17. The afternoon high of 3 on 1/10 was 39F lower than the recorded high for the day, as my 24-hr period runs 9P to 9P.

Archived