Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
D.C. winter climate stats

Ian

some have seen this, im just moving it here

im starting to look over winter stats.. here are some early ones.. i will add more as they come and are worthwhile. plz feel free to include your own.

====================

TEMPERATURES

Final and First Freeze Dates, by Year at Washington D.C.

Added: November 9, 2010

first_last_dc_freeze_by_yr.gif

Highs and Lows Below Freezing by Month

Added: Sept 27, 2010

dca_winter_sub32-h-l.gif

note: not NCDC method

PRECIPITATION

First and Last Accumulating Snowfall by Winter Season since 1887-1888

Added: November 7, 2010 (updated: November 9, 2010)

first_last_dc_snow_by_season.gif

Days with Accumulating Snow (.1"+) and Days with Snow Cover, by Winter Season at Washington

Added/updated: November 9, 2010

days_w_accum_snow_and_cover_by_season.gif

Continuous Days with 1" Snow Cover at Washington, D.C. and Percentage of Total -- 1892-93 thru Present

Added/updated: November 13, 2010

streak_snow_days_dc.gif

Top Snowstorms by Month

Added: November 3, 2010

monthly_snowstorm_top10_dc.gif

monthly_snowstorm_top_dc.gif

6"+ Snowstorms

Added: November 3, 2010

6in_snow_dc_by_season.gif

6in_snow_dc_by_decade.gif

*Thru 2010

6in_snow_dc_by_mo.gif

6in_snow_dc_by_range.gif

AVG Snowfall Across D.C. area

Added: November 3, 2010 (NWS [url="

It's amazing to think that, after the winter we had last year, our last freeze and last snowfall occurred on the same day, Februay 27, which happened to be the earliest last freeze *ever* according to those stats.

I like the idea of a last freeze on February 27. As well as 70+" of snow in the winter. Wish we could get that same setup more often. ;)

A nice collection that brings into clear perspective just what a pathetically snowless town this is. I can't wait to get started on my tropical garden once I buy a house.

6 6"+ events in the decade that was the aughts, lol. What a nightmare.

And that's DC's climo. We need to realize that a 6" event is considered very significant, and there will be many years in which it doesn't happen.

And that's DC's climo. We need to realize that a 6" event is considered very significant, and there will be many years in which it doesn't happen.

Significant in regards to climo, but insignificant for many who love snow. That's the dichotomy of being a snow lover in this area. Doesn't mean we can't still complain about it!

C'est la vie.

It is surprising that DC has only a 53% chance of having a 6 inch storm in any given winter. The data above is great. Thanks for taking the time to compile it.

It is surprising that DC has only a 53% chance of having a 6 inch storm in any given winter. The data above is great. Thanks for taking the time to compile it.

Well of course, DCA will often record a storm of slightly less than 6" while surrounding areas get that amount, so I think it is underdone.

And of course, I am not the one who compiled it.

I felt like adding a bit of stats myself, for Baltimore.

Average snowfall by decade

For example, the 1990s is defined by 1990-91 to 1999-00

1883-84 to 1889-90: 24.1"

1890s: 26.6"

1900s: 24.3"

1910s: 20.3"

1920s: 20.4"

1930s: 22.7"

1940s: 21.1"

1950s: 18.0"

1960s: 31.1"

1970s: 17.2"

1980s: 18.7"

1990s: 18.6"

2000s: 23.1"

Long term average: 22.0"

1981-2010 average: 20.2"

post-1069-0-81883900-1294898658.jpg

Back in the day, Baltimore averaged about 25", but it has since declined over the years, and now the 30 year average is around 20", which is better than before since the ****ty 1970s is not included anymore. For all of our snow drought misery, the 2000s was a good decade for snow because of our blockbuster years, and the average snowfall that decade was along the lines of Baltimore's long term average. And I'm glad that BWI's 30 year average is once again above 20".

The only "problem" with this data is that BWI wasn't the station for Baltimore's weather until the 1930s or 1940s; before, everything was recorded in the city. I think the same is true for DC and DCA.

All this info is based on these totals

http://www.erh.noaa....bwi/bwisnow.txt

The only "problem" with this data is that BWI wasn't the station for Baltimore's weather until the 1930s or 1940s; before, everything was recorded in the city. I think the same is true for DC and DCA.

yes. dca began in the 1940s. the mileage move from the old location is presumably considerably less than the balt to bwi move though i dont know the specifics on that one. i think over the course of a few years it could be noticeable etc, but over the course of a century + you still see the same trend you would if the location did not move. i would guess many long standing climo locations have similar moves involved.

Hmm.. another interesting tidbit from the stats-- none of the top 10 continuous 1" snow cover stretches feautured a top-10 snowstorm. So, it confirms what we surmise on here regularly-- that sustained super-cold patterns don't have historic snowstorms during the peak of the cold. Going through the top-10 snowstorms in that table, many of them were towards the end of the cold stretch, so the snow melted at a decent rate after the storm.

The most recent 1" continuous snow cover stretches that lasted more than 20 days were in 12/89 and 1/77--- periods known much more for the extreme cold than the prolific snowfall.

Archived