• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/3/11 12Z Model Runs

Have to disagree here...the euro and the GFS are now very close aloft. It's just a matter of consolidating the energy in time like the 00z EC showed. This run of the GFS was a big step in the right direction...let's hope the 12z EC holds serve.

Look pretty different aloft to me.

Euro

post-70-0-52438700-1294072752.gif

12Z gfs

post-70-0-49445000-1294072782.gif

For nyc north, it certainly could come south more and hit them but gettign the 500 low south of DC looks like a giant stretch. I'd be excited if I lived from NYC northward, not so much farther to the south. Looks like many of the other storms this year. I'll be happy with a clipper.

Look pretty different aloft to me.

Euro

post-70-0-52438700-1294072752.gif

12Z gfs

post-70-0-49445000-1294072782.gif

For nyc north, it certainly could come south more and hit them but gettign the 500 low south of DC looks like a giant stretch. I'd be excited if I lived from NYC northward, not so much farther to the south. Looks like many of the other storms this year. I'll be happy with a clipper.

post-810-0-48491400-1294071622.jpg

post-810-0-00754400-1294071636.jpg

When you compare these images you can see its just a matter of consolidating the energy quicker.

Have to disagree here...the euro and the GFS are now very close aloft. It's just a matter of consolidating the energy in time like the 00z EC showed. This run of the GFS was a big step in the right direction...let's hope the 12z EC holds serve.

The Euro and GFS are very different, even starting at 24...just looking at the 500 mb level you can as see that the closed low in central canada is much much stronger on the Euro than the GFS which, I would believe, allows it to remain the dominant feature at this level as at the same time the energy is eastern canada is much, much weaker than this low. This allows it to dig significantly further to the south than the GFS with the closed upper level low in addition to being much more defined on the Euro leading to a storm that explodes and stalls much earlier on the Euro than the GFS... Does this sound about right, its just what I'm seeing

The Euro and GFS are very different, even starting at 24...just looking at the 500 mb level you can as see that the closed low in central canada is much much stronger on the Euro than the GFS which, I would believe, allows it to remain the dominant feature at this level as at the same time the energy is eastern canada is much, much weaker than this low. This allows it to dig significantly further to the south than the GFS with the closed upper level low in addition to being much more defined on the Euro leading to a storm that explodes and stalls much earlier on the Euro than the GFS... Does this sound about right, its just what I'm seeing

thanks for the explanation.!!!The euro seems to lead in signaling these storms and every else just tags along. The only problem, to me, is that, there are so many different opinions as to what happens here. The mets say what the euro show isn't possible, or likely. So what do you believe, or take from a model standpoint, without met discussion, Yet DT did say there were two snow fall scenarios. NJNYPA makes his points too.

thanks for the explanation.!!!The euro seems to lead in signaling these storms and every else just tags along. The only problem, to me, is that, there are so many different opinions as to what happens here. The mets say what the euro show isn't possible, or likely. So what do you believe, or take from a model standpoint, without met discussion, Yet DT did say there were two snow fall scenarios. NJNYPA makes his points too.

Well, it does seem like an extreme solution, especially given what other models are saying...the thing is its not going to take that long to see which way this system is trending because to me it looks like it depends on how that energy splits and which one remains dominant... I think the Euro is possible, but not necessarily the likeliest of solutions, I think that its going to end up somewhere inbetween the current GFS and Euro positions although either could happen really...personally Im gonna wait to see a few more cycles before I even try to forecast this thing, I dont have enough background in Climatology to speak to the precedence of a storm as depicted on the Euro but Weather is weather so we'll see

The 12Z gfs ensemble 500 forecasts valid at the same time as the euro.

post-70-0-52338500-1294076588.gif

Has one interesting member for NYC and maybe Phl with the 500 low off the NJ coast. I think member P009. Anyway, all are quite different than the 00Z euro. That doesn't mean it can't be right but suggests it is not the most likely solution and that the upper low will probably end up north of its forecast.

So the Euro has gone from this(0 UTC run)

msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!120!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2011010300!!chart.gif

To this (12 UTC run)

msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!120!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2011010312!!chart.gif

Wouldn't it make sense to compare apples to apples? The 0z picture displays the 0z view on 1/8/11, while the 12z picture displays the 12z view on 1/8/11. Not saying there aren't differences, but it would make sense to compare the same times.

Wouldn't it make sense to compare apples to apples? The 0z picture displays the 0z view on 1/8/11, while the 12z picture displays the 12z view on 1/8/11. Not saying there aren't differences, but it would make sense to compare the same times.

Since the euro free stuff only comes out every 24 hrs this is the only comparison that can easily be made unless you are paying for the euro. In my opinion, the differences are huge.

I'm new here, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

The 18z gfs shows a much weaker high (1048) vs the 1066 at 12z. I'm not really too concerned about it as I would expect there to be fluctuations as we get closer into the event. The 12z Euro is by far the coldest I have ever seen--ever. Could be quite an ice/snow event across the southern plains from Houston to New Orleans if the previous runs came to fruition.

Archived