• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rolling E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV/Big Jim: Not During Storm OBS Discussion/Banter Thread

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold and cloudy here in Toms River.

T=16F

H=77%

DP=10F

P=29.21 - falling

W=none

Radar currently shows moisture coming up from DE - hits Burlington/S Ocean County and falls apart. Currently under WS Warning - Mt Holly calling for 3 to 6" here in N/C Ocean County and 4 to 8" just 20 miles south of me.

Here is some stats on my area for the past three storms:

Actual Accums

Dec 26: 2.2" ------ Forecast: WSW for 6-10"

Jan 07: 2.0" ------ Forecast: WWA for 2-4"

Jan 08: 0.5" ------ Forecast: WWA for 2-4"

Totals: Actual: 4.7" ---- Forecast: 10-18"

If I take the lowest total of the forecast of 10" it verifies to equal 47% of that amount actually fell. Take the medium of 14" equals 33.6%, high 18" equals 26%.

Under performing season so far here. :thumbsdown:

Here is some stats on my area for the past three storms:

Actual Accums

Dec 26: 2.2" ------ Forecast: WSW for 6-10"

Jan 07: 2.0" ------ Forecast: WWA for 2-4"

Jan 08: 0.5" ------ Forecast: WWA for 2-4"

Totals: Actual: 4.7" ---- Forecast: 10-18"

If I take the lowest total of the forecast of 10" it verifies to equal 47% of that amount actually fell. Take the medium of 14" equals 33.6%, high 18" equals 26%.

Under performing season so far here. :thumbsdown:

Are you in Lacaster County? Perhaps Tues\Wed will pan out for a significant storm for us western folk.

No I'm in the extreme southern part of Lehigh County in Emmaus, PA. One of these storms will pan out well eventually for us north and west folks, hopefully this upcoming one. Just found it interesting how much below forecast things have verified IMBY, although some other Lehigh County areas may have fared better.

Here's my banter for today. An absolute joke of a forecast by NWS bing for the Wyoming Valley--schools shut down across the valley--by 11am today the sun was out and the ground was back to brown.

We ended up with less than a half inch in Pittston and the surrounding towns. 1/2 inch. Went to bed last night with a forecast of 3-6 inches and a WWA...

That's my banter. Good day.

*JIM*

I had almost 3 inches. I went to work at 7:30 and the roads were ok but after I got there we had a really heavy squall.

Schools closed when rt 309 closed due to an accident. iirc when Crestwood closed, it started a cycle of the other schools closing.

I think it was a no brainer for wvw district to close with the girls funeral too on friday morning. but the other districts? kinda lame to have a snow day for anything less than four or five inches

Totally agree. And these days need to be made up, so what happens further down the line when there really is a legitimate snow, the same school districts may hesitate to close when they really SHOULD be closed.

Totally agree. And these days need to be made up, so what happens further down the line when there really is a legitimate snow, the same school districts may hesitate to close when they really SHOULD be closed.

At the same time you have to realize that most of the schools in the wyoming valley have hundreds of miles of bus routes Some of those go up into the mountains. I work at a local college and we play by different rules. My wife works at a local district and she says the phone starts ringing when they have school when it starts snowing.

At the same time you have to realize that most of the schools in the wyoming valley have hundreds of miles of bus routes Some of those go up into the mountains. I work at a local college and we play by different rules. My wife works at a local district and she says the phone starts ringing when they have school when it starts snowing.

If it's under 6" here, expect school.

I think it was a no brainer for wvw district to close with the girls funeral too on friday morning. but the other districts? kinda lame to have a snow day for anything less than four or five inches

When the school districts had to make a decision it was snowing at a pretty good rate and the snow was supposed to continue to fall until at least mid afternoon. While I was at my computer at 10:30A.M. the sun was breaking out. This certainly isn't the school district's fault as I'm sure they were expecting more snow and in this day and age districts are probably wise to err on the side of caution with much more busing and an increasingly sue happy public. Even though it would be nice to go back to the good old days too many things have changed . Those days of not even thinking about cancelling school unless it's a more substantial storm are over.Hindsight says they should have had school on Fri . but those people who thought there should have been school on Fri. would be the first ones to complain if there was an accident!

Here's my banter for today. An absolute joke of a forecast by NWS bing for the Wyoming Valley--schools shut down across the valley--by 11am today the sun was out and the ground was back to brown.

We ended up with less than a half inch in Pittston and the surrounding towns. 1/2 inch. Went to bed last night with a forecast of 3-6 inches and a WWA...

That's my banter. Good day.

*JIM*

You need to come to NJ -- snow capital of the world.

Looks like I will be bringing my laptop home for Wednesday - just hope the forecast holds at starting after 5pm - can't deal with those 3 hour drives (should take 35min) from work again

Winter Storm Warning here at Jersey Shore - 6 to 10" tonight, additional 1 to 2 tomorrow.

T= 18F

W= N 7mph

P= 30.01 R

DP =14F

H= 86%

Archived