• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential winter threats

tombo82685

You hit it home here...I had my family talking about the Euro and GFS. Nothing like it.

Here we are a few days later..nobody could give two craps what I am doing up at 3am.

This is exactly the truth; all my family was asking me about the storm over Christmas and wondering what it would bring. Now it's like, "So why are you interested in meteorology?"

Potential for an epic January starting to set up in my opinion..

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree, man....a Miller A with a PV dropping to HAT......that is a Miller B displaced to the south by blocking that is an anomaly more times over than Earthlingt shoveled his driveway last wknd.

Correct. Here's the visual...historic block in Blue, storm producing Miller B shortwave in green.

post-6-0-91931900-1294041879.png

Coming into this 0z run of the Euro I was also a bit more interested in the timeframe of the second threat. Since the 0z Canadian ran a pretty nice miller b solution at around the 180-216hr timeframe I wanted to see if the euro would also jump onto any kind of storm...which of course it does. Euro has it as a straight miller a by the looks.

Not sure what to make of the curb stomping the euro has around the 120-144hr timeframe. Def agree that it's probably too robust with dropping the PV all the way down like it does. But something in between the 12z and 0z solution could be attainable with a northern branch system digging enough, hitting the coast and firing up into a decent snow event for phl/nyc, perhaps more toward nyc with the lighter clipper type snows back further west. Should be fun to watch shake out. I'm thinking one of these potential storms ends up delivering a decent event.

Yeah my thinking too. ECM right now seems very far south with the Vortex and if you look into Canada it has no negative interactions with the incoming west coast system. I think something relegated more to the NE/NYC region would be more realistic than the monster bomb off the Mid-Atlantic then crawling up the coast. Some of the GFS ensembles hint at the former, and previous GFS runs suggested that as well.

I disagree, man....a Miller A with a PV dropping to HAT......that is a Miller B displaced to the south by blocking that is an anomaly more times over than Earthlight shoveled his driveway last wknd.

Ray, I think he's talking about the second storm.... did you think he was talking about the first?

I disagree, man....a Miller A with a PV dropping to HAT......that is a Miller B displaced to the south by blocking that is an anomaly more times over than Earthlight shoveled his driveway last wknd.

Coming into this 0z run of the Euro I was also a bit more interested in the timeframe of the second threat. Since the 0z Canadian ran a pretty nice miller b solution at around the 180-216hr timeframe I wanted to see if the euro would also jump onto any kind of storm...which of course it does. Euro has it as a straight miller a by the looks.

Yea, def talking about the second storm :lol:

I'm going to have to find out more about the Euro ensemble QPF at this range...I haven't seen it show more than 0.25 or so on the means past 120 hours in the brief time I have had access to them. Tonights run show a broad 0.10-0.25" area from Trenton northeast through Southern New England.

Reading this reminded me that as early as 15 years ago, weather model data wasn't available to the general public, radar data wasn't available to the general public. In fact during severe weather events during the overnight weekend, I had to rely on NOAA weather radio to give a description of the radar.

This is exactly the truth; all my family was asking me about the storm over Christmas and wondering what it would bring. Now it's like, "So why are you interested in meteorology?"

Potential for an epic January starting to set up in my opinion..

Do they feel that way about meteorology specifically or science in general? My interest is equal in all the sciences so I dont get this kind of questioning from my family lol, theyre used to me being interested in stuff like that. I love my family and all but when an outsider questions me I adopt a very standoffish attitude of "If you dont know why Im interested in this, you're probably not smart enough to comprehend it anyway" and then I go into a whole spiel about how everyone with an IQ under 140 is dumb to irritate them further lol.

I'm going to have to find out more about the Euro ensemble QPF at this range...I haven't seen it show more than 0.25 or so on the means past 120 hours in the brief time I have had access to them. Tonights run show a broad 0.10-0.25" area from Trenton northeast through Southern New England.

if it has that, i bet there has to be a couple juicy southern solutions in there. Is this further sw than the 12z ens?

In order to get the mean as amplified as the OP at this extended lead, we'd need some members crushing Fidel Castro's box of cigars with the PV.

If this highly anomalous event somehow comes to pass, I'll be even more convinced that its solar related. Im already more than halfway there. The amazing quietude of the sun has already been well documented by both NASA and amateur astronomers who track sunspots-- or the lack thereof lol.

I'm more interesting (as seeing I'm down in Va..) how the ensembles looked for the second southern storm. :X GGEM, GFS, both have a storm in that time range of the Euro as well.. just different in details of course. :X I'm expecting nothing from the Miller B earlier on. Just interested in the ensemble look for the second storm.

I'm more interesting (as seeing I'm down in Va..) how the ensembles looked for the second southern storm. :X GGEM, GFS, both have a storm in that time range of the Euro as well.. just different in details of course. :X I'm expecting nothing from the Miller B earlier on. Just interested in the ensemble look for the second storm.

for the 2nd storm, ric area gets crushed...around 1.5 qpf of snow.

wow - way over 1,000 posts in this thread :thumbsup:

maybe we can start looking at the trends in the 84 hr nam tommorrow :arrowhead:

also, dont think you can discount this run after what the euro did with the last storm when no other model had its back

i keep looping the surface and H5, its freakin amazing lol

Archived