• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
May 2024 obs

Most of the western Piedmont had now received 200-400% of the average rainfall month to date. GSO is now at 8.27", only needing 2.61" to surpass the all time May record set in 1905. The 6z GEFS has 2.3" through the end of the month, so very possible!

23 hours ago, GaWx said:

Strong thunderstorms approaching my area.

Edit: Now severe warned.

Though severe warned for potential 60 mph wind gusts and 1” hail, I fortunately never saw anything close to that unlike the 4 hour power outage causing prior severe warned storm of 10 days prior (5/9). Also the CTG lightning wasn’t bad. But the rain was very heavy for ~30 minutes producing the typical localized street flooding. Rain fell for ~2 hours total due to followup convection. I received a total of ~1.25” of beneficial rain.

• Like 3

On 5/20/2024 at 8:45 AM, olafminesaw said:

Most of the western Piedmont had now received 200-400% of the average rainfall month to date. GSO is now at 8.27", only needing 2.61" to surpass the all time May record set in 1905. The 6z GEFS has 2.3" through the end of the month, so very possible!

It is wild how much wetter western areas have been. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

It is wild how much wetter western areas have been. 

I don't have data to back it up, but I feel like May is one of our more feast or famine months, not quite in daily storm potential season, but any synoptic systems that we get could drop a bunch over a fairly wide area.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, olafminesaw said:

I don't have data to back it up, but I feel like May is one of our more feast or famine months, not quite in daily storm potential season, but any synoptic systems that we get could drop a bunch over a fairly wide area.

Definitely feel that way. Last week areas in Durham county (one county over) picked up 4-5” and we didn’t even get one quarter on an inch from the entire two day event 

• Like 1

Thunderstorms with very heavy rain and lots of CTG lightning here the last 45 minutes. Rainfall really adding up with the typical street flooding. Severe warned nearby. I estimate a little over an inch.

• Like 1

A severe warned storm came in but fell apart right before it hit us but reformed to the south and east of me. We caught the trailing edge of it and it managed .16", wind gust into the upper 20's and a cool down from 89 to 72 where it currently sits.

• Like 1

Low of 60. Beautiful morning. Currently at 12:30 it is 75/49.

Monthly stats:

Highest temp 93

Lowest temp 55

Highest dew point 78

Lowest dew point 44 - may be broken later today as dew point continues to drop.

Rainfall 4.32"

• Like 2