• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Spring 2024

Absolutely gross outside this morning, 36 with cold rain / wind / graupel / snow / mud. :thumbsdown:

Anyone planning to travel for Eclipse totality? Im tentatively thinking Meadville-ish area, get 2+ minutes of totality and a headstart South from all the people in Erie. Cloud cover not looking the best, but not total overcast. Hope it gets better as we close in.

• Like 2

Absolutely gross outside this morning, 36 with cold rain / wind / graupel / snow / mud. default_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
Anyone planning to travel for Eclipse totality? Im tentatively thinking Meadville-ish area, get 2+ minutes of totality and a headstart South from all the people in Erie. Cloud cover not looking the best, but not total overcast. Hope it gets better as we close in.
Yeah, I'm thinking about heading up that way on Monday since I'll be off. I hope the clouds won't be too bad. Once in a lifetime experience. Why not. When the last one happened 7 years ago and I saw that the next one was going to be close, I told my wife that we should go up there for this one. Well, she's going to have to see it from Heaven but she'll also be with me in spirit to watch it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 11:45 PM, blackngoldrules said:

Yeah, I'm thinking about heading up that way on Monday since I'll be off. I hope the clouds won't be too bad. Once in a lifetime experience. Why not. When the last one happened 7 years ago and I saw that the next one was going to be close, I told my wife that we should go up there for this one. Well, she's going to have to see it from Heaven but she'll also be with me in spirit to watch it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Well, she's going to have a great view above the clouds, but Im sure she will be with you to experience it. I've never experienced a full eclipse, but they say its awe inspiring / spiritual thing to see. Its going to be close, but some clearing coming into eastern OH now. Trends seem to be leaning towards that moving faster, so maybe with a bit of luck we can get a favorable window to see it.

Never tracked clouds before, lol but got the GOES IR loop in refresh.

Went up to northwest PA and watched the total eclipse. Interesting that the partial eclipse didn’t drop the temp at all at PIT, I thought that was expected even at 97% totality. Looks like Erie went 69 to 55 with the eclipse.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Did y’ins catch a glimpse of the sun today?

Headed up to Northern OH, SE of Cleveland based on the satellite trends at the time. Clouds were only whispy cirus type so near perfect for eclipse viewing.

It was pretty awesome, saw some stars, felt the temp drop, just jaw dropping watching it. Looked like there was some sort of flare or CME we could see.

Son is 5, hes been drawing pictures of it all night, safe to say this will be a strong memory. 

Kinda like a snow storm, now I want another one. :D

1 hour ago, TimB said:

Went up to northwest PA and watched the total eclipse. Interesting that the partial eclipse didn’t drop the temp at all at PIT, I thought that was expected even at 97% totality. Looks like Erie went 69 to 55 with the eclipse.

If I think about maybe not so odd PIT failed to drop temperature as expected. #Winter. :lol:

13 hours ago, TimB said:

My weather station showed a drop of nearly 8F, with solar radiation plunging to less than 5 W/m^2.

1 hour ago, TimB said:

Hmm. Is PIT cooking the books?

I think my station runs a little high on the rooftop on sunny days, and also radiates much better than PIT, so it was probably somewhat exaggerated. Looking at 5-minute ASOS observations, looks like falls of 4-6F were common along and near totality. It did drop back to 70F at PIT later in the eclipse, from 71/72F before recovering to 74F.

9 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Accuweather suggesting we could approach a record high this afternoon. Yinz stay cool aht thar.

image.png.f3f08dac43ed7ed6777a9f64f9f70851.png

80 feels like such a soft record, considering we’ve been 78 in February and 80 in early March.

On 4/9/2024 at 11:11 AM, TheClimateChanger said:

I think my station runs a little high on the rooftop on sunny days, and also radiates much better than PIT, so it was probably somewhat exaggerated. Looking at 5-minute ASOS observations, looks like falls of 4-6F were common along and near totality. It did drop back to 70F at PIT later in the eclipse, from 71/72F before recovering to 74F.

Feeling the temperature drop in totality is something that goes understated as part of the overall experience, I knew it happened but until you feel it while the eclipse is happening can't really put words to it. 

Hard to imagine the temp didn't drop, unless there was influence from heat island effect or something.

Currently running 4.6F above normal for the month, with a mean temperature of 52.2F. A rather pedestrian [compared to some recent periods] 24th warmest overall in the threaded record, and 13th warmest at KPIT, for the first 10 days of April.

With the warm pattern in place, I projected forward through the 17th using the official NWS forecast for KPIT [with an adjustment for tomorrow for a likely midnight high temperature] and found the month to date mean temperature is projected to increase to around 55.9F by April 17th. Should that come to fruition, it would be the 5th warmest April 1 to April 17th period in the threaded record, and second only to 2010 at KPIT. Looks like a decent shot for a top 10 warmest April unless there is a cooldown at the end of the month.

Here are the numbers to beat for a Top 10 warm April. Need to have a final mean temperature at or above 55.3F. KPIT does reasonably well here compared to some other months, with 4 of the current top 10 [1954, 1955, 2010, and the record warmest in 2017].

image.png.43116e3057c6dad89be6e40bb7e8ea07.png

7 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Here are the numbers to beat for a Top 10 warm April. Need to have a final mean temperature at or above 55.3F. KPIT does reasonably well here compared to some other months, with 4 of the current top 10 [1954, 1955, 2010, and the record warmest in 2017].

image.png.43116e3057c6dad89be6e40bb7e8ea07.png

Also, the wettest first 10 days of April on record. This doesn't include the approximately 1/2-inch that's fallen today. We may have a top 10 wettest April on lock by midnight.

image.png.f0584d626a87a0a91540d3ebee1ff829.png

Looking at the weather records, there has only been one year with an April among both the 20 warmest and 20 wettest. April 1948 is 13th warmest in the threaded record (54.7F) and fourth wettest (6.03").

Flash Flood Warning
OHC029-081-PAC003-007-019-073-125-WVC009-029-120430-
/O.EXT.KPBZ.FF.W.0006.000000T0000Z-240412T0430Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
632 PM EDT Thu Apr 11 2024

The National Weather Service in Pittsburgh has extended the

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  Southeastern Columbiana County in east central Ohio...
  Northeastern Jefferson OH County in east central Ohio...
  Allegheny County in southwestern Pennsylvania...
  Northwestern Washington County in southwestern Pennsylvania...
  Southern Butler County in west central Pennsylvania...
  Beaver County in western Pennsylvania...
  Southern Lawrence County in western Pennsylvania...
  Brooke County in northern West Virginia...
  Hancock County in northern West Virginia...

* Until 1230 AM EDT.

* At 632 PM EDT, local law enforcement reported thunderstorms
  producing heavy rain across the warned area. Between 0.8 and 1.5
  inches of rain have fallen. Additional rainfall amounts of 1 to 2
  inches are possible in the warned area. Flash flooding is already
  occurring.

HAZARD...Life threatening flash flooding. Thunderstorms
           producing flash flooding.

SOURCE...Law enforcement reported significant flooding in
           Oakdale. Roads were closed, and a water rescue occured
           with a vehicle stuck in flood waters in Oakdale.

IMPACT...Life threatening flash flooding of creeks and streams,
           urban areas, highways, streets and underpasses.

* Some locations that will experience flash flooding include...
  Pittsburgh, Penn Hills, Mount Lebanon, Bethel Park, Ross Township,
  McCandless Township, Monroeville, Cranberry, Moon Township,
  McMurray, Weirton, McKeesport, Steubenville, Butler, Franklin
  Park, East Liverpool, Aliquippa, Canonsburg, Beaver Falls and
  Monaca.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.

&&

LAT...LON 4090 8052 4096 8051 4083 7969 4033 7984
      4026 8030 4034 8079 4090 8054

FLASH FLOOD...OBSERVED
FLASH FLOOD DAMAGE THREAT...CONSIDERABLE

$$

WM

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Also, the wettest first 10 days of April on record. This doesn't include the approximately 1/2-inch that's fallen today. We may have a top 10 wettest April on lock by midnight.

image.png.f0584d626a87a0a91540d3ebee1ff829.png

Looking at the weather records, there has only been one year with an April among both the 20 warmest and 20 wettest. April 1948 is 13th warmest in the threaded record (54.7F) and fourth wettest (6.03").

We’re now up to 1.52” at the airport today, so we’re already up to 4th with more rain tonight and 19 more days in the month.

Flash Flood Emergency.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
707 PM EDT Thu Apr 11 2024

...FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR OAKDALE AND CORAOPOLIS...

The National Weather Service in Pittsburgh has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  West Central Allegheny County in southwestern Pennsylvania...
  North Central Washington County in southwestern Pennsylvania...

* Until midnight EDT tonight.

* At 707 PM EDT, local law enforcement reported thunderstorms 
  producing heavy rain across the warned area. Between 2 and 3.5 
  inches of rain have fallen. Additional rainfall amounts of 1 to 2 
  inches are possible in the warned area. Flash flooding is ongoing.

FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY for Oakdale and Coraopolis. This is a 
  PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. SEEK HIGHER GROUND NOW!

HAZARD...Life threatening flash flooding. Thunderstorms
           producing flash flooding.

SOURCE...Law enforcement reported significant flooding in
           Oakdale.

IMPACT...This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. SEEK
           HIGHER GROUND NOW! Life threatening flash flooding of
           low water crossings, small creeks and streams, urban
           areas, highways, streets and underpasses.

* Some locations that will experience flash flooding include...
  Robinson Township, Cecil-Bishop, Kennedy Township, Coraopolis, 
  Imperial, McDonald, Sturgeon-Noblestown, Oakdale, Glen Osborne, 
  Glenfield, Haysville, North Fayette Township, Enlow, South Fayette 
  Township, Collier Township and Midway.

This includes the Parkway between mile markers 57 and 60. 

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Move to higher ground now! This is an extremely dangerous and 
life-threatening situation. Do not attempt to travel unless you are 
fleeing an area subject to flooding or under an evacuation order.

Turn around, don't drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood 
deaths occur in vehicles.