• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summary of 11pm local newscasts

HarveyLeonardFan

Can someone summarize the late night weather updates on the local newscasts. The tv critics are gonna be all over this hammering the tv stations in both media markets that dropped the ball on this one. This is the type of the storm that can end a career for an on-air forecaster, especially in this economy. Did anyone catch Janice Huff at the end of the newscast? Did she change her tune? Way back in March of 1997 a well advertised storm bit the dust at the eleventh hour yet she was still going with the storm when she came on at 11.

Can someone summarize the late night weather updates on the local newscasts. The tv critics are gonna be all over this hammering the tv stations in both media markets that dropped the ball on this one. This is the type of the storm that can end a career for an on-air forecaster, especially in this economy. Did anyone catch Janice Huff at the end of the newscast? Did she change her tune? Way back in March of 1997 a well advertised storm bit the dust at the eleventh hour yet she was still going with the storm when she came on at 11.

Keep in mind that channel four gets their forecasts from the Weather Channel, but you would think she would look at the latest models.

Janice Huff is awful. You know you're not gonna get updated info when you watch her.

Lee Goldberg on channel 7 put out a 6 to 12 inch forecast. He posted on tristateweatherboard tonight saying he was a little nervous about doing that without seeing the Euro, but he wanted to get the bigger storm idea out to the public.

Janice Huff is awful. You know you're not gonna get updated info when you watch her.

Lee Goldberg on channel 7 put out a 6 to 12 inch forecast. He posted on tristateweatherboard tonight saying he was a little nervous about doing that without seeing the Euro, but he wanted to get the bigger storm idea out to the public.

and afterward he said he might have to go higher because all the models had 1+ inch qpf lol.

Janice Huff was saying all we would have is patchy light snow from what I heard-- dont take her seriously. She is only half a tick above that weather chick that got arrested lol.

11PM in Philly NBC predicted 4-6 for the city and 6+ for NJ, and stressed the fact that those predictions were on the low end. Glenn did another forecast online after midnight explaining the latest model run and upping his 11:00 predictions. ABC predicted <1 for the city and 1-3 for the shore and stressed that they were certain about that. ABC must not have looked at the latest models. Their website still has the out-to-sea solution amounts.

The TV news can only update the public during the scheduled newscasts but there should be no reason the websites shouldn't update as the meteorologists analyze each model run.

11PM in Philly NBC predicted 4-6 for the city and 6+ for NJ, and stressed the fact that those predictions were on the low end. Glenn did another forecast online after midnight explaining the latest model run and upping his 11:00 predictions. ABC predicted <1 for the city and 1-3 for the shore and stressed that they were certain about that. ABC must not have looked at the latest models. Their website still has the out-to-sea solution amounts.

The TV news can only update the public during the scheduled newscasts but there should be no reason the websites shouldn't update as the meteorologists analyze each model run.

The tough part about this is that it's Christmas Eve...outside of Glenn (who is Jewish) everyone's top met around here is pretty much off...even the backups are going to leave the station at 11:30 and not stick around for the rest of the 0z stuff so they can get home. The timing part of this is bad considering it's Christmas and it's a weekend so you're working with backups and/or freelancers (Fox 29 down here uses freelancers on occasion). I wouldn't be surprised if some of the chief folks are called in tonight, however...or at minimum are pulling the strings from home and having to do some work while sipping on the eggnog and/or wine.

I do think if this weren't Christmas Eve and you had Kathy and Adam/Cecily on 3 and 6 you'd have everyone forecasting close to Glenn's totals. FWIW, 3 did go 1-3 city, 3-6 at the Shore and said they could easily be higher but needed to start with something.

The tough part about this is that it's Christmas Eve...outside of Glenn (who is Jewish) everyone's top met around here is pretty much off...even the backups are going to leave the station at 11:30 and not stick around for the rest of the 0z stuff so they can get home. The timing part of this is bad considering it's Christmas and it's a weekend so you're working with backups and/or freelancers (Fox 29 down here uses freelancers on occasion). I wouldn't be surprised if some of the chief folks are called in tonight, however...or at minimum are pulling the strings from home and having to do some work while sipping on the eggnog and/or wine.

I do think if this weren't Christmas Eve and you had Kathy and Adam/Cecily on 3 and 6 you'd have everyone forecasting close to Glenn's totals. FWIW, 3 did go 1-3 city, 3-6 at the Shore and said they could easily be higher but needed to start with something.

This might not be a problem for the kids who are off, but Monday might be a really tough commute for those who have to work. Its funny your local ABC has the OTS scenario and ours is calling for a foot lol.

This might not be a problem for the kids who are off, but Monday might be a really tough commute for those who have to work. Its funny your local ABC has the OTS scenario and ours is calling for a foot lol.

Is Lee the chief up there? 6 here was working the 4th stringer last night. I couldn't believe the differences between ABC affiliates, both of whom use Accu...at least Lee was able to pump out a forecast based on the 0z GFS.

Is Lee the chief up there? 6 here was working the 4th stringer last night. I couldn't believe the differences between ABC affiliates, both of whom use Accu...at least Lee was able to pump out a forecast based on the 0z GFS.

Lee is the weekend guy and he's pretty reliable. A little tweaking of the forecast this AM. He now has 6-12" for the entire area except the far NW and says more than a foot in banding basically anywhere on long island and the jersey shore. Also has it starting this evening with some slippery spots overnight.

Lee is the weekend guy and he's pretty reliable. A little tweaking of the forecast this AM. He now has 6-12" for the entire area except the far NW and says more than a foot in banding basically anywhere on long island and the jersey shore. Also has it starting this evening with some slippery spots overnight.

Lee isn't the weekend guy. He's Monday through Friday and does the 5pm, 6pm and 11p. He's the chief met on channel 7.

Lee isn't the weekend guy. He's Monday through Friday and does the 5pm, 6pm and 11p. He's the chief met on channel 7.

He is? He was on all weekend, even when he thought it would be a miss lol. I thought Bill Evans was the chief met-- he's been there the longest. He's actually on this board lol.

Anyways, the totals have been upped to 8-16 for NYC and 12-18 for LI

He is? He was on all weekend, even when he thought it would be a miss lol. I thought Bill Evans was the chief met-- he's been there the longest. He's actually on this board lol.

What do you mean all weekend? Today is Saturday, the start of the weekend. Yesterday was Friday, a weekday. lol. I can guarantee you Lee is on all week Monday to Friday evening -- I watch him all the time. Heidi Jones was the weekend person, until she got arrested. lol.

What do you mean all weekend? Today is Saturday, the start of the weekend. Yesterday was Friday, a weekday. lol. I can guarantee you Lee is on all week Monday to Friday evening -- I watch him all the time. Heidi Jones was the weekend person, until she got arrested. lol.

Ah ok-- I consider Friday part of the weekend (this week) because I had it off-- that is, Xmas eve lol. So he's lead met over Bill Evans?

As the chief he is probably staying abreast on the storm.....also I am guessing that Jeff Smith asked for off before the whole Heidi ordeal.

Ah ok-- I consider Friday part of the weekend (this week) because I had it off-- that is, Xmas eve lol. So he's lead met over Bill Evans?

Well I guess you could call them both lead mets, since they are the 2 weekday guys. Bill is on early and Lee is on late. I've always considered the evening and late night met (5pm, 6pm and 11pm) the top guy, but you're right that Bill has been there longer. I just don't see him much because he's on early.

Lee isn't the weekend guy, as said before he is the weekday night guy, I interned there all summer long and i'm fairly certain the only reason Lee is doing today and last night was becasue he is the only Jewish one of the bunch. However him and Bill are considered the "Lead meteorologists" for the station because until Heidi Jones got in trouble and suspended they were the only station to have 4 meteorologist in the area. Bill and Lee actually both share an office and it says "Chief Meteorologist" on the office door.

Lee isn't the weekend guy, as said before he is the weekday night guy, I interned there all summer long and i'm fairly certain the only reason Lee is doing today and last night was becasue he is the only Jewish one of the bunch. However him and Bill are considered the "Lead meteorologists" for the station because until Heidi Jones got in trouble and suspended they were the only station to have 4 meteorologist in the area. Bill and Lee actually both share an office and it says "Chief Meteorologist" on the office door.

lee is the 5pm 6pm 11pm weekday weather man..though if there is a big storm on the weekend lee will also do the weekends as well..

Well you wouldn't know it by watching her.

Tony, come on. You don't realize that the mets don't usually have control of how much time they have to talk(it's based on how much news there is, and it's all broken into "blocks" with segments within those blocks broken into :30-1:00 segments usually). Janice is sometimes lucky to get 1:30 sometimes for weather. You can't talk about much in that short time span.

Archived