Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

15 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

18z euro north again fwiw. Need to see some type of bleeding to the north stopped tonight or tomorrow or else this thing is going to Youngstown/Cleveland. NAM is next up. 

Once the bleeding starts, it never stops. We know this by now. Another wasted storm and likely another wasted winter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TimB said:

Once the bleeding starts, it never stops. We know this by now. Another wasted storm and likely another wasted winter.

Big game hunting at this point. Give me a 12+ storm and I won't even remember how bad this winter has been. 

• Like 1

NAM isn’t great for central and southern AGC - but not a complete disaster. Still looking decent northern AGC and Butler. Southern Border counties look in trouble. 

The one improvement was more moisture to the west, so anyone on the good side of the changeover has a little more time to work. 

(I know - could just mean staying sucked in longer)

2 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Hopefully we still get a period of heavier snow. Don’t want a rain to dryslot to flurries scenario. 

Tbh I want to see some semblance of south shift between now and 12z tomorrow or else your fear may come true.

22 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

12Z NAM 10:1 strip of 12+ just for fun. I think we would gladly take the old “cut in half rule” here:

IMG_0219.png

3k is a lot warmer though. I guess it may actually come down to nowcasting.

9 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

The thermals really create the boom or bust scenario. Probably more of a tapered look to totals if we were just worried about precip. 

I do feel a little better about middle of the night/early morning in February versus if it were middle of the day in March. 

26 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

The other interesting thing is that it also has a different orientation of the precip shield. Has precip into NW PA, where 12k is dry.  In upstate NY, you have some areas that have 12+, but zero in the 12k. Not sure that is too common.

I would expect the differences to be more in micro details. Not sure I understand why that would be the case, but the models can’t even agree with themselves. 

The NWS has a HWO for Butler, Armstrong, Lawrence counties, noting that an advisory or warning might be needed in the next 36 hours. They noted too much uncertainty for right now.

Thats fair and is a better strategy than CTPs “WSW kind of” strategy.I bet they are waiting for the rest of 12Z to make a call for  watches for the northern metro area.

I think they wait on AGC regardless, and add it if things trend well by tonight. Just too many red flags still.