• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Area Discussion

RIC Airport

Man I must be the youngest person here. (I'm 29). I hope I see the day I can retire. I do actually really enjoy this rain. If it's not snowing I LOVE rainy days. The sun is very sensitive on my eyes so this is welcomed with arms wide open. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JB Fins said:

Good luck on the retirement landing search @vastateofmind keep us posted as I am just a few years out from doing the same.  Emerald Isle would be first choice but looking along the coast, depending on where kids permanently land.

Will do! Interesting that you mention Emerald Isle -- we've had several recommendations from Myrtle Beach locals while visiting there in recent years, to definitely check that out for retirement. In fact, one of our favorite Airbnb "landlords" of several properties we rent in MB, lives in Emerald Isle and has encouraged us several times to look there, too.

And ahhh, yes, where the kids land...we gave up that up as consideration factor a couple years ago, as our two, mid-late 20s sons have ranged from GA to TX to AZ to the PacNW over the past decade. We'll settle for US living within an hour of an efficient airport.  :D 

• Like 2

Emerald Isle is nice. Beautiful spot. Closest airport is Wilmington and that's almost 2 hours. Not terrible. Kind of tucked away in that location. Very rural. Can't do much worse for retirement. I'm not of retirement age and needed to be closer to a metropolitan area so I chose Currituck which still keeps me in the greater Hampton Roads area for work. Need about five more years before full retirement for me. Not sure I want to go any further south but if I did it would be in that area down through Wilmington and as far south as Ocean Isle. The yard maintenance is what is the driving factor. I have a half an acre which is plenty for a middle aged, beat up guy. I have robot mowers that work great but still it's a lot of maintenance otherwise. Might want to move to a place where I don't have to do anything outside. But then you're dealing with people on top of you and I'm not sure I can do that either. Lots of think about. Never crosses your mind when you're in your 20s or 30s. At least not for me. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...