Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MO/KS/AR/OK 2023-2024 Winter Discussion

JoMo

11 minutes ago, RocketWX said:

Winter Storm Warning has been extended down to Sedgwick County including wichita. 2-4" with wind gusts over 50mph at times in the morning. Schools cancelling quickly now. 

Guess it's not coming down heavy enough for a Blizzard warning?

Well, while it wasn't a blockbuster snow, it certainly provided more excitement than I thought after giving up hope of getting more than a trace to 1" 24 hours prior to. The storm tracked south of guidance and provided another 3-4" snow with lots of wind. It also flash froze all the prior standing water and slush once that that front moved through. I'm happy I got something out of this because I'm not thrilled on trends for late week storm at the moment. I can't complain with two 3" snows within 5 days. Side note: The Chiefs playoff game looks to be brutally cold. Yikes. 

• Like 2

Over the last few runs most of the models continue to speed up the cold front on Friday.  Typing this on my phone so the formatting could be wonky when I post this.  

HR 72 temp for Bentonville 

ICON - 48

GFS - 25

CMC - 44

NAM - 42

RGEM - 45

Euro - 47 (06 run)

HR 78 temp 

ICON - 24

GFS - 20

CMC - 21

NAM - 29

RGEM - 18 

Euro - 44 (06 run) 

By hr 84 all models (except NAM) are in the mid teens to lower 20’s.  

RECAP:  GFS is much faster with the front.  Euro much slower.  NAM is pretty much non-existent with the front at all.  
Temps on the ICON after hour 84 are stupid cold.  5 straight days below zero. 

There should be a quick changeover to snow. We need to continue to see the trend of a faster solution.  

One additional note regarding faster push from GFS: 

Tulsa’s temp at 06z Friday: 

18z run yesterday - 50

00z run - 49

06z run - 31

12z run - 27

• Like 2

Euro keeps Sunday/Monday event alive and well.(With a nasty ice storm in DFW)

The system doesn't dig as much as the 0Z run, but it doesn't make much of a difference in the output.

Slow moving on this run, so it's nearly 24 hours of snow, in 10 degrees the entire time.

Almost everyone here gets a around a foot(NW AR and SW MO need to take off 3-5 inches from this since it is including Friday's storm.

1705428000-FjkqeyuJqf8.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, StormChazer said:

Euro keeps Sunday/Monday event alive and well.(With a nasty ice storm in DFW)

The system doesn't dig as much as the 0Z run, but it doesn't make much of a difference in the output.

Slow moving on this run, so it's nearly 24 hours of snow, in 10 degrees the entire time.

Almost everyone here gets a around a foot(NW AR and SW MO need to take off 3-5 inches from this since it is including Friday's storm.

1705428000-FjkqeyuJqf8.png

Sir this is a family forum. Images like this are not permitted.

• Haha 2

Yeah the Fri system gets screwed up because there's a small piece of energy to the north that doesn't fall apart until it's too late so the trough stays positive for far too long. Early on that wasn't supposed to be there so we had a strongly negative trough coming through pushing all kinds of precip back in the cold air. One small thing can screw everything up, though. The 00z GFS looks very cold for a very long time. There is a very persistent -EPO showing up this run.

A little concerned the ensembles remain drier than the operational runs and we see a drying trend in the operational models over the next couple of days. Especially with the volume of cold air coming. 

Either way, dangerous weather is coming with the combo of dangerous cold and atleast some snow.

24 minutes ago, rockchalk83 said:

A little concerned the ensembles remain drier than the operational runs and we see a drying trend in the operational models over the next couple of days. Especially with the volume of cold air coming. 

Either way, dangerous weather is coming with the combo of dangerous cold and atleast some snow.

For what it’s worth, the 06Z Euro ensemble trended much wetter than the 0Z. So it increased amounts. I’ll post a map when I’m in front of my computer.

• Like 3

Euro looks different from previous run, but still outputs a similar solution. Main differences being that the storm is slower by about 6 hours and totals aren't as high in SW MO and central and NW AR. Also Western OK really gets in on the action. Either way, doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the consensus that is developing. A broad area of precip will move over the area and produce good snow thanks to high ratios.

I know we will still wiggle around north and south between now and Sunday, but I feel like this is more or less our solution with some massaging to do. I don't see the snow being pulled out from under our feet with this type of setup.

1705330800-kMx32HIrczM.png

1705330800-TWTf1r1Jy9M.png

1705330800-0joGi0ac6qI.png

5 minutes ago, StormChazer said:

Euro Ensembles are in(remember, these are with 10:1 ratios). BIG trend toward a snowier solution for all of us.

First I'll post last night's.

1705384800-2nNzyRPYQ1U.png

And now this afternoon's.

1705406400-LM2EskMTTtU.png

Thanks for the info!  What do the Ensembles show for the Friday storm?