• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Summer 2023

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Storms that are occurring are pretty small and not moving very much. Heads up...where's it raining currently? LOL 

They are showing the same pattern as all summer, but of course past results are not a guarantee of future results,  in blowing up as they approach the central LSV.   That one just west of Carlise is a potential to be warned. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:
#July2023 turned out to be seasonably wet, hot & humid at @millersvilleu
. Temps, in aggregate, averaged 3.27F above normal, making it the 9th-warmest July on record (since 1914). Precip ended up “near normal,” but many parts of the Lower Susquehanna Valley had a rainfall surplus.

Not sure what his aggregate number is but the mean temp at MDT was 78.5 making it number 15 and 3.7 degrees behind number one 2020.    Maybe someone can explain what the aggregate means....several stations taken together?

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Not sure what his aggregate number is but the mean temp at MDT was 78.5 making it number 15 and 3.7 degrees behind number one 2020.    Maybe someone can explain what the aggregate means....several stations taken together?

Yeah, I haven't a clue - I was just a messenger of information. :) 

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

No doubt, that over 3 number caught my attention and thought I would ask since MDT finished 1.2 AN.   I assumed he meant MU's number but cannot believe they are 2 degrees higher than MDT. 

Here's the monthly temp records data: I forgot just how incredibly warm this past January was!

https://www.atmos.millersville.edu/~wic/climo/t-anomaly.htm

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

No doubt, that over 3 number caught my attention and thought I would ask since MDT finished 1.2 AN.   I assumed he meant MU's number but cannot believe they are 2 degrees higher than MDT. 

MU compares against the entire period of record, whereas MDT’s departure is derived from comparing against only the most recent 30 year climate normal period; hence, MU’s departures almost always come in significantly higher than MDT’s. In other news, we were out on the boat today and while we didn’t really notice the smoke, the winds sure made for some choppy water. Still a great day, because any day on the water is a great day. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

MU compares against the entire period of record, whereas MDT’s departure is derived from comparing against only the most recent 30 year climate normal period; hence, MU’s departures almost always come in significantly higher than MDT’s. In other news, we were out on the boat today and while we didn’t really notice the smoke, the winds sure made for some choppy water. Still a great day, because any day on the water is a great day. 

You had said that before but to have a 2 point difference is not something I can accept as being proper mathematical  statistical analysis for compare purposes.  So, going away from the 30 vs. 100 plus year averages, the true numbers show July 2023 was warm and top 15 but not top 10 at mdt.

I feel like it was a breeze compared to recent summer's.  Glad you had a good day on the water.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Thanks for the reminder, you did mention this before. Sorry that I did not recall it. 

It was quite windy today...it might even be windier now than it was earlier. 

Since I've called Lancaster home since 1965, a couple of things stick out from the data that I posted:

The winters of 1977-78 and 1993-94 are the 2 winters that I remember most as being bitterly cold. January 1977 featured a ridiculous negative departure of nearly 12 degrees, but the following winter was wall to wall cold. January and March were both more than 4 degrees below normal while February was over 9 degrees below normal. I remember watching the Baltimore news stations back then and people were driving on the Chesapeake. Hard to imagine that today. And then the January through March stretch of 1994 - I know many in this thread remember that...my neighborhood roads were 2 very deep ruts of tire tracks surrounded by a huge glacier of ice on either side, and it just did not melt. I have marked down that I had snow cover for 73 days that winter...think about that. The winter of 77-78 featured a huge February blizzard with little snow otherwise...just day after day of bitter, dry air. The 1994 winter was filled with tons of snow and ice events. 

On the flip side, 2010 was unrelenting heat. In fact, temps were WAY above normal every month from March all the way through September followed by a more modestly above normal October. That summer seemed like it would never end and in fact it did not end soon enough. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1