Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

ValpoVike

30 minutes ago, mayjawintastawm said:

So, the "low end forecast" for snow from this "storm" was 2.2 inches. We got 0.8", if I lean the ruler over just right. And there were supposed to be some wind gusts. Max wind at our house was maybe 12 MPH. Well. It is cold like was forecast.

Yeah pretty meh. I did get about 5” but that is far short of the 7-12 forecasted. This has been typical all season in my neck of the woods.  Fortunately we have nickled our way to a not too bad winter though.  I do hope we get the March dumps this year. 

15 hours ago, Chinook said:

Not to drive you guys nuts, but I want to commemorate one of the first times I've seen a blizzard warning for southern California, even the San Gabriel Mountains north of Burbank.

blizzard warn for southern cal.jpg

Wondering what blizzard criteria for Southern CA would be... 1 or more snowflakes visible within 1/4 mile and temps+winds making it somewhat uncomfortable to wear shorts. :)

• Haha 3

Lost lobe of the PV drifting down the west coast, temps near 35F central OR coast to Eureka, cold rain at sea level and probably snowing above 200' asl, meanwhile ahead of the coldest phase, 45-50 F around SF Bay and low 50s s CA coast, 20s in San Gabriels. The peak mountain blizzard conditions there will come tomorrow into Saturday.

I live north of the border, a snappy -2 F here at sunrise, now about 10 F, sun through high clouds, nasty NE wind at times. Coldest day of the winter so far. SOG here is about normal, 15" with 18-24 in local mountains (ski resort says anyway). 

I will report from time to time on what happens around soCal as I don't think we have members there. 

Think the record snowfall near sea level around LA was in Jan 1932, 2-3" .. think this may be more of a sleety mix but could get some measurable at LAX. 

• Like 1

Looks like the snow just isn't going to be there. Keep up the hope for more snow in March. Northern Colorado isn't doing badly on total snow for the cities (I think). The snow water equivalent is 104%/121% in the mountains. The areas well east of I-25 seem to have gotten quite a bit of snow over this winter.

DIA: 41.6"

Boulder: 67.3", just a bit above normal

Fort Collins: 28.5", below normal

Greeley: 31.1", above normal

Longmont Co-op: 41.9" that seems much better than Fort Collins

Walden: 60.2 (above normal for this higher elevation location)

1 hour ago, Chinook said:

Looks like the snow just isn't going to be there. Keep up the hope for more snow in March. Northern Colorado isn't doing badly on total snow for the cities (I think). The snow water equivalent is 104%/121% in the mountains. The areas well east of I-25 seem to have gotten quite a bit of snow over this winter.

DIA: 41.6"

Boulder: 67.3", just a bit above normal

Fort Collins: 28.5", below normal

Greeley: 31.1", above normal

Longmont Co-op: 41.9" that seems much better than Fort Collins

Walden: 60.2 (above normal for this higher elevation location)

And 7.3" here in Feb for a total of 40.4".

A nice upside snow overnight and this morning up here.  Currently standing right around 5", but a bit hard to get an exact amount due to some periodic gusts.  Regardless, we have outperformed the forecast "of less than 1 inch".  So far this season has had a bounty of 3" snows, but a lot of busts on calls of higher amounts.  Good to finally see an outperformer.  Still waiting for the big one or two for spring...