Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

ValpoVike

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Even as the NWS issues WSWarnings, the current NAM run still says "meh"

BOU AFD says "NAM is generally discounted in these types of situations." Maybe it doesn't handle upslope well. We could use a FRM (Front Range Model) that assumes Boulder down to Genesee will always win, and go from there. Maybe the folks at NCAR could whip something up. :)

The GFS has 15-20 knot easterly winds at 700mb during the height of the storm with -8C up there and maybe 30F at the surface, which is strangely warm. That's always a sign of a heavy snow band at the foothills. (see attached image) as QPF is quite high for just 6 hours there. The 18z GFS and 00z GFS have some different areas that have 11" of snow in 12 hours! Not exactly the highest confidence on that, but hey, it's a lot of snow.

As mentioned, the 18z NAM had kind of a weird forecast. It has kind of been that way for years. When this model switched its name from the Eta to the NAM in 2007 or 2008. Then around 2008, they replaced the core of the model with the WRF software. It was, and is, considered the premier mesoscale model for the USA, but the snow forecasts for the Front Range have been kind of wonky for a long time.

Check NWS Boulder for official snow forecast and Winter Storm Warning details. 

qpf_006h-imp.us_c.png

• Like 1

Those winds were pretty good, made me wonder if they kept up whether we'd meet blizzard criteria for a little bit though falling snow was not heavy. Total 5.8", would have been a bit more if I did the clear-the-board-every-6-hours thing. Most spots near here were just about 6".  Smokeybandit, not sure how far E you live, but the eastern part of Parker definitely got into one of the heavier N-S bands. One report from central Arapahoe county was 12.5".

On 1/15/2023 at 1:49 PM, mayjawintastawm said:

thanks. Yes, Flagstaff is Arizona, isn't it. I don't think Arizona weather is discussed much in the forum (nor is Utah, much) - good opportunity to start a thread, and maybe attract some other posters from AZ!

Also, saw that you might be from Tamaqua. Super interesting weather around there with the rain/snow/ice line always nearby... we lived in Allentown and Bethlehem back in the early to mid 90s.

I was born and raised in Bethlehem, ended up in Tamaqua, and now I'm in Phoenix. I like it much better here, but as you said, the weather in Tamaqua was interesting to say the least.

Hazleton was better for anyone who loved snow as we did dance on the rain snow line. Many times, it would rain in Tamaqua, but just a few hundred feet higher and five miles away, they'd be plowing snow.

Sometimes it looked like it does out here. Snow on the mountains around town, but a wet, brown backyard for me.

7 hours ago, Chinook said:

This was a snow storm for Colorado, just not where any of us live (or lived, in my case.)

nohrsc_72hsnow.us_c (2).png

Friends just north of Burlington CO got 11+ inches with drifts on their barn up to 7 feet. Biggest January snow for them in a loooong time. A bit hard to handle now but they'll appreciate it come spring!

3 hours ago, jacindc said:

Finally got my big snow here in Big Horn WY. emoji1783.png I didn't set up a board, but I think we're close to a foot and it's still coming down. (An observer a couple miles from here reported 13.4", though they might have a smidge more elevation and are closer to the mountain.) Upslope ftw.

reasons why Greybull may have the driest soil in the northern US

Clipboard02j.jpg

• Like 2