• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

ValpoVike

Lets' go for weenie mode here: The EPS ensemble members max QPF is 0.66" or for Denver, and 1.02" for Fort Collins. These are much higher QPF values than the 12z or 18z GFS. The overall synoptic forecast of the storm has still some questions to be answered for northern Colorado.

2022_12_30_12z_ECMWF_ensembles_plot_fort_collins.jpg

Who knows about tomorrow, but the snow finally finished melting into my rain gauge, with a whopping 1.6" water from the Wed/Thurs event. No wonder my back hurts. Finished with almost 16" water this year, with more than 10% falling in that 8 hour period this week! Hard to tell exactly, since sublimation and blowing frequently underestimates SWE.

1 hour ago, ValpoVike said:

And a very broad avalanche warning that includes the entirety of the northern foothills. Definitely some questionable watches and warnings today. 

I wonder how the NWS and organizations with more local expertise like CAIC coordinate- broad warnings are perhaps most useful to raise awareness and drive people to state or local avalanche info sites.

The Denver NWS web site shows every type of thing you might be expected to see, and an avalanche warning. What's not shown: a winter weather advisory above 6000 ft for Larimer County and Boulder County. I guess they will decide if the north areas are worthy of a winter storm warning or a winter weather advisory later.

lbX0DSR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta ask this here. I moved to Phoenix, AZ this past August from Pennsylvania. I was and still am a frequent poster in the Central PA subforum. Now that I'm out west, is this the best place to discuss Arizona weather, or should I start a thread more oriented to the southwest? 

2 hours ago, Voyager said:

Gotta ask this here. I moved to Phoenix, AZ this past August from Pennsylvania. I was and still am a frequent poster in the Central PA subforum. Now that I'm out west, is this the best place to discuss Arizona weather, or should I start a thread more oriented to the southwest? 

Arizona has weather? :D

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chinook said:

Today's models have some agreement for Colorado on Wednesday (96 hours). They have a 500mb closed low and surface upslope winds and snow. 

Bring it on. I've only got an inch or two left in high sun areas from the Dec 28 storm. And I kind of like having extended snow coverage.

On Tuesday to Wednesday, it seems like this could be a longer-lasting storm with several inches of snow. The GFS, Canadian and UKMET have pretty decent QPF of over 0.6" for metro areas, and the 00z ECMWF has lower values. Edit: 12z ECMWF is pretty snowy.

.LONG TERM...(Monday through Saturday) Issued at 315 AM MST Sun Jan 15 2023 A series of pacific storm systems will make for an active weather pattern for Colorado this upcoming work week.

Will see weak ridging move across the Central Rockies Monday as one system exits the region and another approaches. Even with the ridging, enough pacific moisture will be present for areas of light snow in the mountains. Temperatures are expected to be near normal with highs in the 40s across northeast Colorado.

On Tuesday, an upper level trough or possibly closed low moves across the Four Corners region and into western Colorado late in the day. Surface low pressure over southwest and south central Colorado will produce easterly winds across northeast Colorado. This upslope flow will usher in cooler air and moisture.

Will see a chance for snow, or possibly freezing drizzle Tuesday afternoon. The mountains will start to see diffluent flow aloft by afternoon. In addition, mid level lapse rates will be steep, 7.5-9 C/km, so heavier snow showers will be possible.

Still some uncertainty where the surface low and new upper level low form east of the mountains. Models generally show a band of heavy snow (5-10 inches) forming some where across eastern Colorado.

Snow should prevail over much area Wednesday morning if models are on the right track. The snow then shifts eastward and exits during the afternoon and early evening.

wpc_qpf_120h_p.us_c.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Bring it on. I've only got an inch or two left in high sun areas from the Dec 28 storm. And I kind of like having extended snow coverage.

Front yard is bare (bring it on), back yard is a big mess of melting glacier that would be nice to get some air to before the next storm. Still, beggars can't be choosers.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:36 PM, Voyager said:

Well Flagstaff is supposed to get 2 ft of snow over the next 3 days, so we sometimes do have weather...

Still, I had to laugh when I saw your post. Good one! :)

thanks. Yes, Flagstaff is Arizona, isn't it. I don't think Arizona weather is discussed much in the forum (nor is Utah, much) - good opportunity to start a thread, and maybe attract some other posters from AZ!

Also, saw that you might be from Tamaqua. Super interesting weather around there with the rain/snow/ice line always nearby... we lived in Allentown and Bethlehem back in the early to mid 90s.