• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

We are potentially only 3 months away from our first flakes. We saw that T-2" snowfall on October 16, 2009...then another on October 18, 2009. This thread gets me pumped up for tracking winter events again.

Yeah I thought about digging this thread out again,and getting the weenies fired up. You know it's bad when you post a water vapor animation at 2am, after being asleep for 3 hours.

Yeah I thought about digging this thread out again,and getting the weenies fired up. You know it's bad when you post a water vapor animation at 2am, after being asleep for 3 hours.

I found pics of the Oct 18, 2009 storm...while I was driving around early in the storm

oct18100ft.jpg

oct181100ft.jpg

We are potentially only 3 months away from our first flakes. We saw that T-2" snowfall on October 16, 2009...then another on October 18, 2009. This thread gets me pumped up for tracking winter events again.

Yeaah...let's just squeeze a strong TS or better into the area first...need to have a better chase night. This time with goggles so we can read the handheld anemometer....then bring on the cold and snow

I found pics of the Oct 18, 2009 storm...while I was driving around early in the storm

oct18100ft.jpg

oct181100ft.jpg

That looks like 1.5-2"? That's impressive. I got .5" in that only on grassy surfaces. IIRC though it was just supposed to end as a few snow showers and wasn't supposed to accumulate at all. I recall most news stations saying ending as flurries and this board being the only one to mention a coating or an inch, and even then, it over performed.

I remember that afternoon well. I was working on a Biology project and a 2 hour project took me the whole day because of the storm and this forum lol (despite the fact I only got a half inch). thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Another view of the intense lift down there.

post-33-0-76325300-1310695885.gif

I was really quite lucky the first half of the season with those deform bands. Every model hit the mid level lift and RH hard over my area and it resulted in impressive totals for Boxing Day and 1/12. F QPF.

I was really quite lucky the first half of the season with those deform bands. Every model hit the mid level lift and RH hard over my area and it resulted in impressive totals for Boxing Day and 1/12. F QPF.

Yeah you always seemed to be in that sweet spot, despite QPF. Mid levels rule.

Scooter I absolutely love the caked on look on that garage, triple decker, Jan 05 on the Cape was some of my favorite shots of all time, classic.

Believe it or not, I think that only occurred briefly for about 45 minutes when the CF just moved to my west. It got to 32.5 here with S+, so everything got caked. I do think that because I was so close to the CF for a while...and it did become almost marginal aloft..like around 950mb..the snow may have been a little wetter then it normally would have been with a temp of around 27-28F. Luckily I stayed just on the good side of the CF.

Believe it or not, I think that only occurred briefly for about 45 minutes when the CF just moved to my west. It got to 32.5 here with S+, so everything got caked. I do think that because I was so close to the CF for a while...and it did become almost marginal aloft..like around 950mb..the snow may have been a little wetter then it normally would have been with a temp of around 27-28F. Luckily I stayed just on the good side of the CF.

Love the pictures you just posted. Seems like the city of Boston does a great job of snow removal, also the towns outside of the city. That last pictures is great, all the snow shoveled to the left or right of the driveways, and not just thrown back into the street. Plus you went the extra mile and clean out the fire hydrant......:thumbsup:

Love the pictures you just posted. Seems like the city of Boston does a great job of snow removal, also the towns outside of the city. That last pictures is great, all the snow shoveled to the left or right of the driveways, and not just thrown back into the street. Plus you went the extra mile and clean out the fire hydrant......:thumbsup:

They do an awesome job cleaning out, almost too good. Boston uses salt after every time they come down the street, so the piles aren't as big as they could be. It annoys me a little, but at least you can navigate the narrow streets.

They do an awesome job cleaning out, almost too good. Boston uses salt after every time they come down the street, so the piles aren't as big as they could be. It annoys me a little, but at least you can navigate the narrow streets.

lol....Yeah thats a text book picture on how it should be done......also great job by you and the residents of that street.

March 1 here.... noticeable difference.

Those marginal icing events helped preserve the snow pack longer in the higher hills...that and later in the season in general you have more melt days and 33F vs 37F can become a noticeable difference over the course of several days or more.

Will, at least the snowpack had some staying power through March up by your way, but it was just a disaster how it melted through March.

Yeah we still had like 22" on March 1st or something. But that torching rainstorm put a huge dent in it over that following week as seen in the pics. The snow did take forever to melt in the woods though. I remember posting the last patches of weenie snow pack in mid April.

Those marginal icing events helped preserve the snow pack longer in the higher hills...that and later in the season in general you have more melt days and 33F vs 37F can become a noticeable difference over the course of several days or more.

Yeah not really surprising. On any other year that would be an amazing snow pack for 3/1...>12" except for areas directly exposed. This year it was a bit of a let down after the 5/6 week period from 12/26 to 2/2. Just two days before that there was an icing event...then a rain event I think? Then March 1 was clear and cool.