Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,275
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Chicago85
    Newest Member
    Chicago85
    Joined

Jan 6/7 "Event" and obs


stormtracker
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah, but was that your first preliminary early call, your first call, the last first call, or your absolute final call after you phoned a friend and triple-dog-dared??  Scoring depends on which version of the map it was!! :lol:

That was my super secret triple dog dare version. I would have posted it sooner but I had to wait for the fire department to get it unstuck. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I love this link. Use it all the time to corroborate. I was sound asleep during the heaviest and woke up a bit late after wind kicked up. Got a bunch of measurements between 3.8 - 4.3. I'll go with 4". Right in the pocket of all surrounding obs. 9.5" in a week in mid Jan with decent temps is rare AF and I very much appreciate the anomaly. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11/6 Swanton.  Windy AF, in the negative single digits consistently.  Upslope cranking with the sun trying to shine through.

We did not hit the high end totals here but too windy to be confident in any measurement.  I am estimating around 6".  No doubt much heavier totals close by in WV, this was their event if you ask me.

Bonus, for the first time all season it feels like legit deep winter here.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fingers crossed it stays below freezing all day.

Gorgeous bluebird conditions. Sunny, 2 inches of fresh powder, barely a breath of wind.

A nice change from our Florida vacation. And quite glad no new trees down or power/road problems after seeing absolute carnage on I-64 on the way into town yesterday.

Kids are loving it out there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jnis said:

4.5”. Nice event

Hey it's jnis, long time no see. Hope you've been able to keep going with music. It's really sucked. But thank goodness for outdoor gigs. Usually don't look fwd to winter passing, but.

end banter

3.25" here. Great event. Technically snow on snow but there wasn't much remaining of the previous 3" snowfall.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

2.8” new on 0.20” precip in Falls Church, so good ratios.  
 

I’ll push back on some of the model commentary.  At least around here, the GFS had way too much precipitation.  The HRRR was more realistic except for a few runs last night that went too dry.  The NAM and Euro were the best on QPF in the DC area.

I rode the GFS train to frowntown, but if I'm being honest, I'm OK with 2.75" after going over 9" on Monday.

12" on the season at the end of the first week of January isn't shabby at all!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I rode the GFS train to frowntown, but if I'm being honest, I'm OK with 2.75" after going over 9" on Monday.

12" on the season at the end of the first week of January isn't shabby at all!

Snow on snow, dude.  Covered up some bare spots and it will stay a little longer with temps today.  One week in Jan and a foot of snow?  Hell yes.  Given the last couple years?  F*ck yeah.  This week beats my last two years COMBINED!!!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

36 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

If you really want to know how much snow you got, yes you need a ruler and take several measurements!
What looks like a solid 5" here turned out to be less as seen here:
 

I went around and took several measurements.  This area doesn't get sun and is in a decent wind shadow.

I always assume a little compaction if we get snow overnight and it's at least a couple hours until I can measure. I usually wait until I see other measurements from close by and see if they're in line with mine on the margins.

I'm obviously not a spotter or anything. :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, H2O said:

Snow on snow, dude.  Covered up some bare spots and it will stay a little longer with temps today.  One week in Jan and a foot of snow?  Hell yes.  Given the last couple years?  F*ck yeah.  This week beats my last two years COMBINED!!!

No doubt! I'm not complaining - just that I rode the GFS hard and really wanted it to verify. As it is, I'll absolutely take a foot of snow in one week in the beginning of January. as you said...this is better than anything we've had in the last couple years, and honestly it's about as wintry as we can expect for an extended period around here!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6” IMBY in Union bridge 

5” - my brothers house in Ellicott city 

6.5” - my parents house in Rockland NY

8” - my brothers house in Rye NY

12”- my buddy in Dorchester MA

Rather large area of 5-12” from VA to MA. Successful storm, no doubt. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, jayyy said:

6” IMBY in Union bridge 

5” - my brothers house in Ellicott city 

6.5” - my parents house in Rockland NY

8” - my brothers house in Rye NY

12”- my buddy in Dorchester MA

Rather large area of 5-12” from VA to MA. Successful storm, no doubt. 

Hey...I have family in Rye NH!  Small place but beautiful New England beach town.  Been visiting my cousins there around July 4th every year since I was a kid. 

ETA: Never mind! I see its NY you have family. lol  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kay said:

Hey it's jnis, long time no see. Hope you've been able to keep going with music. It's really sucked. But thank goodness for outdoor gigs. Usually don't look fwd to winter passing, but.

end banter

3.25" here. Great event. Technically snow on snow but there wasn't much remaining of the previous 3" snowfall.

Hey, 

Good to hear from you. We were fortunate to be able to perform all of our regular venues outdoors with the tent set-ups. We squeezed a gig in last night :)

I just finished clearing 4” of powder from my driveway- so much easier from the slop we dealt with last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, leesburg 04 said:

Just went out for a walk, pretty interesting snow depth difference from grass to pavement. Almost 1/3 when compared...wonder why the cold smoke fluffy dendrites falling at 3am didn't accumulate all that great on the pavement?

At least here in Takoma Park it was in the low 40s yesterday and I don’t think it dropped to freezing until around when the snow started.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gopper said:

4.5 in Towson.

Woke up a few times to see the progression from NO to WOAH to oh watch it go away.

North Balti Zen might have done better at his old place with this one?

 

 

 

Can confirm. Just barely south of Towson and I had 4 inches exactly just before I went to bed at 3:25am as the death band was starting to wind down. It looks like we got another 30 min-1h of fairly good rates after that so 4.5 is what I think we have outside here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Just went out for a walk, pretty interesting snow depth difference from grass to pavement. Almost 1/3 when compared...wonder why the cold smoke fluffy dendrites falling at 3am didn't accumulate all that great on the pavement?

Same here. Hard surfaces took forever to cave last night. About half as much on them this morning as was on elevated surfaces. My guess is the marginal temps at the start and the filtered sun they absorbed during the day. It surprised me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...