Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

45 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I'm pretty convince our soil temps are warm enough for the cicadas but damn it's dry. A solid rain event and they would be popping out of the ground...

86F / DP 49F /Hum 28%

I've been watering here for the last week and still no sightings yet. Maybe we'll get dry slotted cicada wise. Now that I said that, probably not.

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

25 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Wow, that's really early. (5/21) I don't expect to see any till mid/late June when things start to roast on a consistent basis...

69F

We usually start seeing them here the last week of May. However, and this may sound suspect, but for the last 4 or 5 years we've had a couple show up around the end of the first week of May. Consistently, like every year, and they hang around for a couple of weeks, then there's a few days gap before the main crew starts showing up.

So the early guys are late this year it would appear, not surprising really.

Yes, we spend a lot of time outside!

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

A friend’s parents are reporting cicadas in northern Bucks. Given the lack of activity here and in 2004, I don’t think this brood resides in my part of Montco.

Oh, and it’s hot & sticky.

Sounds reasonable. It doesn't seem like they migrate a whole lot.

2 hours ago, JTA66 said:

A friend’s parents are reporting cicadas in northern Bucks. Given the lack of activity here and in 2004, I don’t think this brood resides in my part of Montco.

It's somewhat hot (89F) but it's really not sticky. (DP 57F / RH 34%) I think we're so accustomed to super dry conditions lately a 57F DP seems uncomfortable. I would lock that DP in for the entire summer w/a big smile on my face. Tomorrow DPs will be in low-mid 60s, still not super horrible but getting there. When DPs are in the 70s...instant puddle if you step outside.

not.jpg

• Weenie 1

I actually hit 91 just before 2pm today.  Didn't expect that.  It was brief since there has been a hazy deck of high clouds most of the day, with occasional breaks of sun.  Haven't seen or heard any cicadas here, nor seen any lightning bugs... and so far I haven't spotted any of those damn lanternflies either, but I expect those might be hatching and at one of the nymph stages.  With the chill the first half of the month, a bunch of critters went on hold, but the temps the next week or so will wake them up for sure though. :lol:

First tropical development underway early with STS Ana (fish storm), but will see how this year's hurricane season goes. Don't think it will be as insane as last year but you never know.

21 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I actually hit 91 just before 2pm today.  Didn't expect that.  It was brief since there has been a hazy deck of high clouds most of the day, with occasional breaks of sun.  Haven't seen or heard any cicadas here, nor seen any lightning bugs... and so far I haven't spotted any of those damn lanternflies either, but I expect those might be hatching and at one of the nymph stages.  With the chill the first half of the month, a bunch of critters went on hold, but the temps the next week or so will wake them up for sure though. :lol:

First tropical development underway early with STS Ana (fish storm), but will see how this year's hurricane season goes. Don't think it will be as insane as last year but you never know.

No stink bugs and limited flies, bees and Gnats (they''ll come though) as well. Butterflies seem to be on the decline every year...

83F

7 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

No stink bugs and limited flies, bees and Gnats (they''ll come though) as well. Butterflies seem to be on the decline every year...

83F

Most of those will go into sortof a stasis when the temps are below 60 and I know I've been averaging in the low-mid 40s at night most of this month until the past week or so, when the lows finally hit the low 50s.  Definitely not bug weather but I did see some bees today.  Am down to 85.  Might take a bit to cool down although since it's dry, it might go faster.

With the 1st 90+ day today at PHL and of course no 90's at KPTW/ KMQS or East Nantmeal....will for the 7th straight year the combined 90+ days at 3 spots in the western burbs of KMQS & KPTW Airports + East Nantmeal Twp. be less than the runaway heat island problem that continues at PHL airport?? If I was a betting man (I'm not) I would say yes!! Below is the number of KPHL 90+ days vs. those 3 combined since 2014

2014 - PHL 19 days - combined burbs 10 days

2015 - PHL 37 days - combined burbs 13 days

2016 - PHL 46 days - combined burbs 35 days

2017 - PHL 26 days - combined burbs 11 days

2018 - PHL 30 days - combined burbs 26 days

2019 - PHL 31 days - combined burbs 16 days

2020 - PHL 36 days - combined burbs 33 days

5 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Still silence around here, maybe like family member they heard a swamp critter?

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Hey, long time no post - good to see you! If this dryness persists, it could take something tropical to break it. Hopefully it won't take that long. One thing for sure, it can still be plenty humid around these parts even without rain.

We have a Yellowwood tree here that is just starting to bloom, the flowers smell amazing, but so far not noticing any scent. Thinking about spraying it with a hose, let's see how high up we can get the water, the tree would probably appreciate it. Simulated rain, you know?

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Hey, long time no post - good to see you! If this dryness persists, it could take something tropical to break it. Hopefully it won't take that long. One thing for sure, it can still be plenty humid around these parts even without rain.

We have a Yellowwood tree here that is just starting to bloom, the flowers smell amazing, but so far not noticing any scent. Thinking about spraying it with a hose, let's see how high up we can get the water, the tree would probably appreciate it. Simulated rain, you know?

Yeah I've been finally getting to some projects I've been putting off plus spring cleaning and getting my tropicals overwintering in the basement, ready to go out.  A bunch can't take night temps below the low-mid 50s at night and we are finally getting there.  As it is, I'm gonna have to pull the hose out now (there were some chances of rain maybe tomorrow and then a  brief cool down for Monday, but we'll see).

Simulated rain would definitely be appreciated by your tree though! :lol:  Seems the rain is all down in the GOM states at the moment.

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Yeah I've been finally getting to some projects I've been putting off plus spring cleaning and getting my tropicals overwintering in the basement, ready to go out.  A bunch can't take night temps below the low-mid 50s at night and we are finally getting there.  As it is, I'm gonna have to pull the hose out now (there were some chances of rain maybe tomorrow and then a  brief cool down for Monday, but we'll see).

Simulated rain would definitely be appreciated by your tree though! :lol:  Seems the rain is all down in the GOM states at the moment.

Monday sounds plenty cool, I have higher confidence in that than in rainfall, but I won't turn any down! I did water the tree canopy, I was able to get it up about 35 ft. which misses the highest part, but got a good bit of it along with some wisteria and honeysuckle, which are both starting to bloom as well.

I know plant life gets its water from the roots, but I'm sure you've noticed in the spring, how after an extended warm dry spell, an overnite rain makes things pop.

4 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Just skimming the MA subforum for the first time in months. They are way ahead of us in the cicada sightings, especially MD. Hell, I'll be happy just seeing or hearing one in the distance. All we have is KamuSnow seeing a lonely lightning bug last night...

86F

We just saw 2! It's happening!