Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Of course one can go with any of the big dogs but I will go with someone in the tier below in Cantlay. He’s been on a great run especially from T2G. I like him alot in this spot and I’ll be heavy on him in my dfs lineups. 

A bit of a darkhorse but has been on another good stretch so he is gaining traction is Conners. He typically plays well at Augusta so he has the experience to back his recent play. 

Can Spieth continue his run of good form?  I'd love to see Rory come out of nowhere to snag the career grand slam.  Not sure I have a real pick yet though.

40 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Nope. As long as the heavier rain stays away down there Fri/Sat. Who’s your pick?

Johnson or Day. DeChambeau will be in the running for a few rounds, but all that power will backfire at some point. Dark horse candidate: Tiger shows up as a fully rebuilt cybernetic organism with titanium spine and legs and whoops them all.

• Haha 2

It's still early but I usually get a decent feel for a big event early in the week before too much information infiltrates the mind. So here goes:

Betting market (100 units total):

Rahm +1250 (10 units)

Rory +1900 (10 units)

Cantlay +2050 (20 units)

Simpson +3500 (20 units)

Day +5500 (20 units)

Conners +8000 (20 units)

If you have an extra 5-10 units that you found under your pillow and want to throw a dart at a longshot...I like Fritelli at +17500 and Si Woo Kim at +15000. 

DFS lineup: JT, Cantlay, Berger, Day, Kokrak, Munoz

Does anyone else bet and/or play dfs?

33 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It's still early but I usually get a decent feel for a big event early in the week before too much information infiltrates the mind. So here goes:

Betting market (100 units total):

Rahm +1250 (10 units)

Rory +1900 (10 units)

Cantlay +2050 (20 units)

Simpson +3500 (20 units)

Day +5500 (20 units)

Conners +8000 (20 units)

If you have an extra 5-10 units that you found under your pillow and want to throw a dart at a longshot...I like Fritelli at +17500 and Si Woo Kim at +15000. 

DFS lineup: JT, Cantlay, Berger, Day, Kokrak, Munoz

Does anyone else bet and/or play dfs?

No, but sounds interesting. We have a pool for all the majors, you pick 5 guys and lowest score wins, you have to pick a winning score in case of tiebreaker, cost $20 and a lot of guys play so the pots are decent size. I can tell you if you don't have the winner in one of your five you're not going to win.

6 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

No, but sounds interesting. We have a pool for all the majors, you pick 5 guys and lowest score wins, you have to pick a winning score in case of tiebreaker, cost $20 and a lot of guys play so the pots are decent size. I can tell you if you don't have the winner in one of your five you're not going to win.

We do something similar, split pot for winner and low team, best 4 out 6

On 4/5/2021 at 4:03 PM, Hoth said:

Gentlemen, I wish to know your preferred Masters viewing beverage. John Daly? Julep? Pimms cup? Moscow mule? Dark/Stormy? Tom Collins? Rum punch? Inquiring minds want to know.

I don’t have a favorite masters drink, but enjoy a chilied (store the bottle and glass in the freezer)grey goose on the rocks while watching any sport

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, S&P said:

I like this chart , scoring average (25 min rds) 

Have to like spieth, rory, DJ? Would like to know who some of those circles are between Rory and hideki

Rory’s form of late makes it hard to think of him as a favorite. Spieth has played well for several weeks and this could be the one to get the 2016 monkey off his back. DJ is always a threat, in any major. I’ve always like Hideki in the Masters but he seems to fade in the majors. 

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m fading Speith because of the hype, he is way overpriced, but from a pure playing standpoint...he has as good of a shot as any of the big dogs given his recent form and past success here. I’m just not a fan of his for some reason. 

And it is pretty tough to win two tournaments in a row, let alone one being a major.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/four-golfers-won-pga-tour-event-before-the-masters/

• Like 1

Still waffling on who I like to win this week.  The sentimental pick for me would be Rory.  I've always liked him and I think his meltdown on the back 9 in 2011 continues to impact him.  I also like Matsuyama, who seems to play well here but just not quite well enough to win.  As for obvious favorites, DJ and Dechambeau are the first to come to mind but I don't think Dechambeau has really come to grips with how to win at Augusta yet.  Having said that, the amount of research and practice he puts in means he could get over that really quickly.  Under the radar would be Brooks Koepka and Paul Casey.  Koepka has knee issues and nobody really thinks he'll contend but this is a guy who does stuff just to piss off the establishment.  Casey has played well for the last year or so and has just missed out a couple of times in big tournaments.  Maybe he could sneak up and grab it.

24 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Still waffling on who I like to win this week.  The sentimental pick for me would be Rory.  I've always liked him and I think his meltdown on the back 9 in 2011 continues to impact him.  I also like Matsuyama, who seems to play well here but just not quite well enough to win.  As for obvious favorites, DJ and Dechambeau are the first to come to mind but I don't think Dechambeau has really come to grips with how to win at Augusta yet.  Having said that, the amount of research and practice he puts in means he could get over that really quickly.  Under the radar would be Brooks Koepka and Paul Casey.  Koepka has knee issues and nobody really thinks he'll contend but this is a guy who does stuff just to piss off the establishment.  Casey has played well for the last year or so and has just missed out a couple of times in big tournaments.  Maybe he could sneak up and grab it.

I like Koepka too. He's sneaky good.

13 hours ago, mreaves said:

Rory’s form of late makes it hard to think of him as a favorite. Spieth has played well for several weeks and this could be the one to get the 2016 monkey off his back. DJ is always a threat, in any major. I’ve always like Hideki in the Masters but he seems to fade in the majors. 

I have to respect Rory because he's not afraid to be honest about golf. He's been pretty outspoken about players and rule changes in the last few years. Like when he said he lost his swing a bit trying to compete with Bryson's distance.

That's like if I started admitting that I was changing my forecast methodology to keep up with Kevin's wild swings.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I have to respect Rory because he's not afraid to be honest about golf. He's been pretty outspoken about players and rule changes in the last few years. Like when he said he lost his swing a bit trying to compete with Bryson's distance.

That's like if I started admitting that I was changing my forecast methodology to keep up with Kevin's wild swings.

Wait a minute, I thought you catered your forecasts to Kevin? :lol:

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

Agree.

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Yes he is. I liked when he gave Koepka the truth last year before the final round at the PGA Championship. You don’t need to put other players down and call them out...this isn’t football. 

12 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

What 5 guys would you pick to win? I have to fill out my card tonight and looking for some help. I have Rory and Koepka so far, need 3 more. I like Finau too. There was one year where you took Ricky Fowler every time as it seemed he was in the running every week. Even if he didn't win he gave you some points.

Hmm, to win is a little different than fitting 6 guys into a salaried system where they all add up points. 

I typically like guys who perform well at Augusta in their careers to finish high up the leaderboard. So guys like DJ, JT, Rahm, Speith (but given that he won last week I'm actually more suspect about his chances this week). Cantlay always seems to be lurking around the top 10 too.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Hmm, to win is a little different than fitting 6 guys into a salaried system where they all add up points. 

I typically like guys who perform well at Augusta in their careers to finish high up the leaderboard. So guys like DJ, JT, Rahm, Speith (but given that he won last week I'm actually more suspect about his chances this week). Cantlay always seems to be lurking around the top 10 too.

If you don't have the winner though you're not going to win, so many guys play that no matter what dark horse surprises everyone and wins, someone picked him. I think I'll throw DJ in too.

4 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

If you don't have the winner though you're not going to win, so many guys play that no matter what dark horse surprises everyone and wins, someone picked him. I think I'll throw DJ in too.

The year Willett won I had picked him, but because two of my guys missed the cut I didn't even finish in the money. That was a tough one.