Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Significant snow - ice or rain Feb 10-12

wdrag

24 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

The big storm I had 2 sleet periods. I had to dig a path across part of my front yard today and there are two layers in there. 

Sleet is often mixed in over here in snow events; I'm talking about pure sleet events, no snow at all. Or icing. We don't usually get ice storms during snowy winters, except at the end like in 2011; after that it was done here. Did have a wicked rainstorm in March though, something which happened in 2007 as well; schools closed due to torrential rains....

On 2/11/2021 at 12:02 AM, EpicHECS said:

I was very much around for the winter of 1993-1994. But when I said a "97" like event, I meant the one in Upstate NY and Canada. I don't know what you're recalling but the NY metro area and it's suburbs have not seen a multi inch ice storm. There was no 2-4" icing event here in January of '94. In fact, January of '94 was basically the coldest month like...ever here in the Northeast. Lots of snow. 

I think that might have been 1998 with the big freezing rain event up there.

I'll quote it here also- I said 1.5-2 inches, there was no 2-4 inch ice storm here, as far as I can recall, ever.

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/1994/07-Jan-94.html

It was well over 1" here on the south shore, I measured it myself (wasn't hard to measure, I had over 1.5" inches of a clear ice sticking to everything.  There was very little wind, therefore no power outages and it looked rather beautiful outside.

here we go

Ice accretion from freezing rain exceeded 1 inch across much of central New Jersey, making this the worst ice storm in modern times across this part of the state

There were only two pure snow storms out of all these events, the first and the last one.

Snow storm, December 29-30, 1993
Ice storm, January 3-4, 1994
Ice storm, January 7-8, 1994
Snow and ice storm, January 17-18, 1994
Snow storm, January 25-26, 1994
Snow and ice storm, February 8-9, 1994
Snow and ice storm, February 11, 1994
Snow and ice storm, February 23-24, 1994
Snow and ice storm, March 2-3, 1994
Snow storm, March 18, 1994

22 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

There were two ice events that year, but it snowed first; so the ice accrued on top of a couple inches of snow; so it wasn't pure ice, but it didn't matter, as the effect was the same; youcould not do anything except chop your way out or pour tons of salt on it to get some temporary grip ( I was teaching in Elizabeth at the time, and they were notorious for never calling snow days, but that changed that year ) which is what my employer tried to do. I believe the really bad one was near MLK day. 

Ray's blog describes it well, it was a historic storm from your area to ours, since we're close to the same latitude we both got a lot of ice lol

5 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Sleet is often mixed in over here in snow events; I'm talking about pure sleet events, no snow at all. Or icing. We don't usually get ice storms during snowy winters, except at the end like in 2011; after that it was done here. Did have a wicked rainstorm in March though, something which happened in 2007 as well; schools closed due to torrential rains....

funny thing about 93-94 was that the only two pure snow storms bookended that winter, the first storm was all snow and the last storm was all snow and everything in between was a mixture lol.  I actually think that late season storms (after March 20th) tend to be more snow than ice.  

On 2/10/2021 at 6:40 PM, Cfa said:

The fact that JFK hasn’t gone below zero since 1985 when it reached its all-time record low of just -2°F, the same record low as Tallahassee, FL, is a stat that has always stood out to me. That -15°F event was highly anomalous, it’d be like reaching 120°F in today’s climate.

Personally, I’ve never lived in an area where subzero temps occurred while I was living there.

that doesnt make sense though....recheck Jan 1994 when we had historic arctic shots, I distinctly remember my thermometer recorded -3 and I was only 4 miles SE of JFK, so either their equipment malfunctioned or they did record below zero temps in Jan 1994.

I lived near JFK in both Jan 1985 and Jan 1994 and I can tell you for a fact that it was below zero in both outbreaks.

This thread is basically closed. I took a look at the week in advance post (5th) with the Sunday followup (7th).  We got our 1-2"  but not 10's; with the heaviest axis SOUTH of our forum instead of northern edge of the forum and while it was foreseen that this could come in pieces, the 12th as named, was wrong. I'm glad we got the 1-2" with 3-6" BWI to s NJ.  SOUTH not north of I80. 

Screen_Shot_2021-02-12_at_8_37.52_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-02-12_at_8_38.24_AM.png

• Thanks 1