• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Personal Favorite/Most "Extreme" Wx Event of 2020 (Your POV)

George BM

Another year is over and, like always, I'm a curious and noisy young man. :cory:

What weather event(s) stood out for you personally in the past year?

For me despite a very boring year in general I lucked into two decent (by MBYs standards) thunderstorms on June 4th and June 22nd. Both storms featured sheets of rain w/ 40-45mph wind gusts. 

The June 4th storm dropped the visibility to below 400 feet at one point.

I know I know a lot of you will happy about that but MBY usually gets missed way more often than not. 

Welp, how about you guys? What event(s) stood out to you this past year (2020)?

For me it was the cloud that developed right overhead that day back in the summer. I can’t remember the day that was. Someone I think said it was due to a jet streak whatever that means. But I was in the golf course and it was chilly. With the sun it was quite pleasant. A cloud moved in front of the sun and it was much less pleasant. I remember thinking once that cloud moves in it will be nice. But it just kept growing, never moving. Looking at it later on satellite was fascinating. It looked like it was about 20 miles wide and extended sw to ne across part of our region. I was right under it. Very cool weather event and further testament to just how boring the year was weather wise.

• Like 1

Definitely Isaias. Worst conditions since sandy at my location. Multiple tornado warnings and confirmed touchdowns in my local area. Wind that shook buildings, and the sting jet on the back side. And then that same afternoon you wouldn't even know a storm had passed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

For me it was the cloud that developed right overhead that day back in the summer. I can’t remember the day that was. Someone I think said it was due to a jet streak whatever that means. But I was in the golf course and it was chilly. With the sun it was quite pleasant. A cloud moved in front of the sun and it was much less pleasant. I remember thinking once that cloud moves in it will be nice. But it just kept growing, never moving. Looking at it later on satellite was fascinating. It looked like it was about 20 miles wide and extended sw to ne across part of our region. I was right under it. Very cool weather event and further testament to just how boring the year was weather wise.

Reminds me of the weather in this region on November 3rd this past year w/ a deck of clouds extending from wsw/sw to ene/ne... But you said it was during the summer so I don't know for sure whether you are talking about the event I mentioned or a different one as those "standing cloud-deck features" actually occur at least occasionally every year, though usually not as frequently in the summer.

Isaias on the beach in Delaware.  Recorded a 65 mph wind with a hand held anemometer at Indian River Inlet.

12-15’ waves, blowing stinging sand and drifting sea foam. Winds sustained at 55-65 for over an hour.  Beach erosion.  Was great luck to get a healthy tropical storm while on vacation.

A2DA371B-ADCC-45ED-9C54-62FFC9CDED17.thumb.jpeg.2adca532c57d251a22bd8e735fa758c5.jpeg

• Like 5

On 9/4/2020 at 9:08 AM, JakkelWx said:

Gotta be the most lightning we've ever had in a very long time. Constant round after round after round of lightning. The third storm was actually the most intense in terms of lightning here, surprisingly. Perfect conditions came together for multiple rounds

• Like 1

No specific events came to mind for me.  This year will be remembered for the lack of snow, the July 90 degree days, and the constant rain.

Looking through my records, the most interesting/anomalous thing was a rain event on January 12th.  Not just any rain event, but one with a (very brief) 7.78”/hr rate at 1am with a temperature of 66.5 degrees.  That is messed up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George BM said:

Reminds me of the weather in this region on November 3rd this past year w/ a deck of clouds extending from wsw/sw to ene/ne... But you said it was during the summer so I don't know for sure whether you are talking about the event I mentioned or a different one as those "standing cloud-deck features" actually occur at least occasionally every year, though usually not as frequently in the summer.

That could have been it because I know it was chilly which is why I was watching the clouds. Was that Election Day? Coulda been

1 hour ago, WVclimo said:

Isaias on the beach in Delaware.  Recorded a 65 mph wind with a hand held anemometer at Indian River Inlet.

12-15’ waves, blowing stinging sand and drifting sea foam. Winds sustained at 55-65 for over an hour.  Beach erosion.  Was great luck to get a healthy tropical storm while on vacation.

A2DA371B-ADCC-45ED-9C54-62FFC9CDED17.thumb.jpeg.2adca532c57d251a22bd8e735fa758c5.jpeg

That photo is amazing. It doesn’t even look real

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That photo is amazing. It doesn’t even look real

A few seconds after I took the photo, a head-high wave came over the 3’ high ledge the ocean had carved and the sand gave way under my feet.  I was able to jog out of the drink without going down.  But a town official who was yelling at folks to get off of the beach got pretty upset with me lol.  

We decided to get out of Bethany and went to the state park beaches instead, where we found a much more adventurous crowd.

• Like 1