• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Anyone hate the new noaa radar interface?

freemenot

So looks like new radar interface was pushed out as default for weather.gov (at least for KDIX). Its great that its not using flash, however, it is very very slow for me, forget about zooming in our out, takes like 15 seconds to load radar image on a very fast connection(5ms to google, 900/900mbps connection). Then if you want to see a loop, prepare to wait like 60+ seconds. Is there any tips/tricks to make this faster, or any tools that will use the radar data but make it more usable?

3 hours ago, freemenot said:

So looks like new radar interface was pushed out as default for weather.gov (at least for KDIX). Its great that its not using flash, however, it is very very slow for me, forget about zooming in our out, takes like 15 seconds to load radar image on a very fast connection(5ms to google, 900/900mbps connection). Then if you want to see a loop, prepare to wait like 60+ seconds. Is there any tips/tricks to make this faster, or any tools that will use the radar data but make it more usable?

You are not alone. There are many complaints from users regarding the newly rolled out NWS radar page. Some patches are coming to improve some things, but those should have been addressed before the rollout. 

4 hours ago, freemenot said:

HTML5?

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

HTML5?

Yeah, I think they are using some html5 features. Its kind of like a google maps with radar data overlaying it. Myradar app on android (probably iphone also) does same thing but 100x more usable and faster, so I don't think its a technical limitation, more of an implementation problem.

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

HTML5?

Firefox had announced that any versions after the version that they have been rolling out this week (v84.x), will no longer support Flash, so most browsers have been wrapping up their dropping of support for it it - https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/84.0/releasenotes/

And apparently Adobe itself is dropping support of it (it has been considered a big security risk and source of all kinds of malware, etc) - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/end-support-adobe-flash

End of support for Adobe Flash

Firefox will end support for Adobe Flash in Firefox at the end of 2020, as announced back in 2017. Adobe and other browsers will also end support for Flash in January and we are working together to ensure a smooth transition for all.

Firefox version 84 will be the final version to support Flash. Firefox version 85 (release date: January 26, 2021) will ship without Flash support, improving our performance and security. There will be no setting to re-enable Flash support.

Will switching to a different browser allow me to use Flash?

No. Adobe and other browsers will also end support Flash at the end of 2020.

Even if you install an older version of Firefox, the Flash plugin itself will stop loading Flash content after January 12, 2021. See Adobe’s Flash Player End of Life information page for more details.

What if I still depend on Flash content?

For enterprise customers who need help transitioning Flash content to other supported technologies or require Flash Player licensing support after 2020, please contact Adobe’s official distribution licensing partner, HARMAN, for more information about their commercial support offerings.

I remember when "Shockwave Flash" first came out not long after the graphical "web" was getting underway to replace the text-based early web that deployed in the early - mid '90s.  There is still a lot of content out there (particularly training stuff) that is still using Flash and I expect it has been difficult for some of the hosts of that material to get it converted to HTML 5 video format (and/or considering whether it is even worth converting if the info has been deprecated and/or updated).

One of the coolest Weather-related flash presentations was the depiction of the type of damage that one might expect with the various hurricane intensities. NHC had embedded it on one of their pages - https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/prepare/hazards.php

Thankfully the creator had put it on YouTube about 5 years ago -

4 hours ago, freemenot said:

Yeah, I think they are using some html5 features. Its kind of like a google maps with radar data overlaying it. Myradar app on android (probably iphone also) does same thing but 100x more usable and faster, so I don't think its a technical limitation, more of an implementation problem.

Same here on Android. Best free radar if that's all you need. Loads fast and all...

3 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Firefox had announced that any versions after the version that they have been rolling out this week (v84.x), will no longer support Flash, so most browsers have been wrapping up their dropping of support for it it - https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/84.0/releasenotes/

And apparently Adobe itself is dropping support of it (it has been considered a big security risk and source of all kinds of malware, etc) - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/end-support-adobe-flash

I remember when "Shockwave Flash" first came out not long after the graphical "web" was getting underway to replace the text-based early web that deployed in the early - mid '90s.  There is still a lot of content out there (particularly training stuff) that is still using Flash and I expect it has been difficult for some of the hosts of that material to get it converted to HTML 5 video format (and/or considering whether it is even worth converting if the info has been deprecated and/or updated).

One of the coolest Weather-related flash presentations was the depiction of the type of damage that one might expect with the various hurricane intensities. NHC had embedded it on one of their pages - https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/prepare/hazards.php

Thankfully the creator had put it on YouTube about 5 years ago -

Yeah, I read somewhere over the Summer Flash wouldn't be supported after this year. I think this may catch people by surprise.

I haven't used FF in a couple years. They were my first "go to" browser when they hit the scene but the last time I used it....it was so damn bloated w/crap I wouldn't use. I can't believe they're on version 84. I think I quit in v50's. The early stages of FF was lightning quick.

Ah yeah, Shockwave Flash early years...brings back my youth.    

12 minutes ago, Animal said:

I was just checking it out.

was all wonky for me..not sure if I am doing something wrong on my end.

No, not just you, its  just can't seem to load the radar data or map data properly most of the time, and when it does, it takes a very long time. I am good with just a normal GIF radar loop of what they had before(they may have it in their open source data store still), way more useful.

Anyone remember the java applet version of the radar maps :)?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...