• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    dhubbard
    Newest Member
    dhubbard
The Iceman

Not sure where to put this, but I'm considering going back to school to become a meteorologist. I'm almost 30.

Mods feel free to move if this isn't in the right place but I'm just looking for some advice. Right now I'm in a pretty comfy job that is unfortunately very unfulfilling even though I have amazing benefits. I was a met major originally back in college but switched to environmental geography after about 40 credits because I admittedly was smoking too much pot/ doing other things and found that geography was easier and I didn't want to put in the work for meteorology. The only job I could find out of college was in a field completely unrelated to the environment or mapping. I'm actually in accounting now and it's just because it was the easiest/first job available. This has been the theme of my 20's and honestly I'm ready for a change. I was plagued by addiction until I was 25 and have been living sober for almost 5 years now. I just feel like I'm mature enough now to follow my passion this time and complete the major. My worries are how realistic would it be for a school to even take me now? And what would job prospects look like for someone just graduating with a met degree in their mid 30's? Can anyone here offer any guidance or other advice? I'm open to all suggestion even if it's against my goal.

On 10/20/2020 at 1:14 PM, The Iceman said:

Mods feel free to move if this isn't in the right place but I'm just looking for some advice. Right now I'm in a pretty comfy job that is unfortunately very unfulfilling even though I have amazing benefits. I was a met major originally back in college but switched to environmental geography after about 40 credits because I admittedly was smoking too much pot/ doing other things and found that geography was easier and I didn't want to put in the work for meteorology. The only job I could find out of college was in a field completely unrelated to the environment or mapping. I'm actually in accounting now and it's just because it was the easiest/first job available. This has been the theme of my 20's and honestly I'm ready for a change. I was plagued by addiction until I was 25 and have been living sober for almost 5 years now. I just feel like I'm mature enough now to follow my passion this time and complete the major. My worries are how realistic would it be for a school to even take me now? And what would job prospects look like for someone just graduating with a met degree in their mid 30's? Can anyone here offer any guidance or other advice? I'm open to all suggestion even if it's against my goal.

I'm currently a sophomore met student at Millersville and it's a lot of math and physics I gotta say (especially if you are interested in Space Weather/Heliophysics like me haha). However, I'm almost 20 years old. I'm taking the "normal" route per say as a typical high school student going to college. I do know though that Millersville does have some older students walking around. I wouldn't fear stepping out and following your dreams man. Ask yourself some questions though: 1.) Am I financially in a feasible and stable state to go to college (It's alot of money without scholarships or funding) 2.) Do I want to dedicate the next few years to this 3.) Will I enjoy all of the school work involved including rigorous math and physics courses (right now I'm in ODE, it's not fun haha). Meteorology has been my dream since I was a kid. I've always wanted to do it. If that's the same for you, go for it. Start out at a local community college, grab some general education credits at a cheaper price. Then transfer in with those credits and you've already got a head start and can fully focus on the courses that matter. Perhaps you might be seen a bit "differently" in the classroom for being older. But what does it matter?

• Like 1