• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
nrgjeff

Comet NEOWISE has over-achieved its morning show the last 10-14 days. Yes all caps is the acronym of the NASA program which found it. Comet switches to the evening sky this week. Like the morning show, the evening encore this week is low in the sky and in some twilight.

However, the weekend and/or next week could be a grand finale higher in the sky. Comet will come closest to Earth July 23; it's already swung around the sun without breaking up. Wow, good news is actually possible in 2020! It's unlikely to fall apart now; but, it gassing and dust will gradually slow down as it gets farther away from the sun. However it will be getting closer to Earth; so, apparent brightness should be maintained. Plus it'll get above twilight by the weekend into early next week, making it even easier to view. Those could be great viewing days!

I remember the Halley meh in the mid-1980s, but they knew it was not going to be great. Then the late 1990s brought Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp, two comet gems! Comet NEOWISE should be somewhere in between. A surprise outgassing could get closer to Hyakutake, but I can't see a Hale-Bopp miracle.

At any rate I think NEOWISE deserves a thread! Started the thread here since I don't find one in main Weather Disco. We can talk night sky forecasts.

I may take a shot in the exburbs with binoculars tonight Wednesday, because the sky is so clear. Thu/Fri might be scattered t-shower debris. Weekend looks solid. Likely will go all out to a rural location with binoculars and maybe scope. Then maybe a few more times next week. Make it cout!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Comet NEOWISE has over-achieved its morning show the last 10-14 days. Yes all caps is the acronym of the NASA program which found it. Comet switches to the evening sky this week. Like the morning show, the evening encore this week is low in the sky and in some twilight.

However, the weekend and/or next week could be a grand finale higher in the sky. Comet will come closest to Earth July 23; it's already swung around the sun without breaking up. Wow, good news is actually possible in 2020! It's unlikely to fall apart now; but, it gassing and dust will gradually slow down as it gets farther away from the sun. However it will be getting closer to Earth; so, apparent brightness should be maintained. Plus it'll get above twilight by the weekend into early next week, making it even easier to view. Those could be great viewing days!

I remember the Halley meh in the mid-1980s, but they knew it was not going to be great. Then the late 1990s brought Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp, two comet gems! Comet NEOWISE should be somewhere in between. A surprise outgassing could get closer to Hyakutake, but I can't see a Hale-Bopp miracle.

At any rate I think NEOWISE deserves a thread! Started the thread here since I don't find one in main Weather Disco. We can talk night sky forecasts.

I may take a shot in the exburbs with binoculars tonight Wednesday, because the sky is so clear. Thu/Fri might be scattered t-shower debris. Weekend looks solid. Likely will go all out to a rural location with binoculars and maybe scope. Then maybe a few more times next week. Make it cout!

I watched Halley through a weak telescope in a special night time meeting of my 4th grade class.  Will never forget it.  The Phish song is a great memorial to that comet.  :guitar:

• Thanks 1

I have already spotted it in the evening on Monday and Tuesday this week.  It was a pretty easy find with modest binoculars.  Once I knew its location, spotting with the naked eye was easier.  I'm going to a darker sky location this weekend for a better view.

• Thanks 1

Good to know @EastKnox you've already spotted it this week. I made no true effort Tuesday eve (front yard) and Wednesday evening became cloudy in Chatty right after I wrote this post. I's thinking, please don't let this be another Met starts thread jinx, lol! Atmo better get this haze / cloud crap out if its system before the comet main show in a few days.

Halley was my first, and we always remember our first (comet, tornado, eclipse of each type, Aurora, etc). @Stovepipe that's great class met at night. I remember 4th grade watching a partial eclipse during school hours. We made our own shadow boxes, which I used as much in 2017 as the glasses. It's so flat through the glasses, what's the difference? Until totality of course!

Coworker / friend / astronomy buff has also seen Comet Neowise. Good to learn of more people seeing it naked eye and binoculars, vs just long exposure photography. 

My plan is a sneak peak with binoculars tonight (if fair skies) from exburb fairly close - just see the fuzzball. We will go farther rural this weekend with family for hopefully unaided eye viewing and/or tail through binoculars. Next week you'd think with a 591+ ridge skies will be fair. Maybe heat haze, but fewer t-showers and associated cloud debris. More nights the better!

Those expectations are managed. I'm prepared for Halley 2.0, but hoping for something closer to Hyakutake (still no Hale-Bopp). Cautiously optimistic it'll be a real treat this weekend and next week, higher in the darker sky.

Saw Comet NEOWISE Thursday night through binoculars. Though not naked eye from in town, through binoculars it is a (still pretty) dimmer version of the Sirlin photo. For my just checking (from town) outing I picked US Express. Chattanoogans know their parking lot is elevated with an excellent 180 degree view of the western sky. Gee, why else might I go there? in spring :D

Oh yeah @John1122 and All, look northwest below the Big Dipper an hour after sunset, just as twilight is becoming true dark. That's 9 Central 10 Eastern, and it sets about 10 Central 11 Eastern. Memphis maybe a few minutes later than my rough convert for Nashville and Huntsville. Space and other online mags have details.

Weekend plans include getting up on a mountain away from the city. Hoping for maybe unaided eye visible. Either way it'll be even better with binoculars. Still think it will be a naked eye object next week, higher out of the haze and lights. (higher each evening) Anyway this weekend Cherokee NF / Southern Apps could have cloud debris issues from afternoon t-showers.

This weekend from Chatty I prefer mountains west of town or even the Cumberland Plateau, but the latter may not be necessary if already west of city lights. Later dates next week the forecast can be re-evaluated. Keep going west of town, or seek elevation in the southern Apps. Depends on t-showers.

Middle Tennessee and East Tennessee I recommend getting up on a least a ridge to have a better view of the northwest sky after sunset. West Tennessee, just clear view no lights. MS/AL/KY I'd try to find a ridge. Definitely in northwest Georgia. Everyone have a nice weekend and happy comet hunting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome.  We were able to see it tonight.  Could barely see it with the naked eye and easily see it with binoculars.  And it is right below the Big Dipper as noted in this thread.  The sky might look dark there due to some washing out on the horizon and from lights...but just scan around with the binoculars.  It will pop right out.  You can see it right now in the NW sky.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Awesome.  We were able to see it tonght.  Could barely see it with the naked eye and easily see it with binoculars.  And it is right below the Big Dipper as noted in this thread.  The sky might look dark there due to some washing out on the horizon and from lights...but just scan around with the binoculars.  It will pop right out.  You can see it right now in the NW sky.

Lots of high clouds around here,i'm going to Maryville Wednesday,might take a trip into the mountains.It might be clearer tomorrow night tho around here if the models are right

• Like 1

Family joined me for Comet Neowise viewing Sunday evening from a rural dark sky spot Lookout Mountain, GA. Believe it's a little bit better than Halley 1986, but not as good as Hyakutake 1996. While far from Hale-Bopp 1997, Neowise is a good comet. I am hoping Neowise improves to closer to Hyakutake quality.

Halley < Neowise < Hyakutake < Hale-Bopp IIRC. Right now Neowise is closer to Halley, but I am cautiously optimistic it gets closer to Hyakutake. Probably remains in between; I figure Hale Bopp is pretty unreachable. If Neowise improves past the half-way point between Halley and Hyakutake, we got a big winner!

Sky forecast is for southeast Tenn. May be valid for southern Middle Tenn, North Bama, and West Tenn. BNA to TYS MRX TRI may differ. Sunday featured just-in-time JIT clearing following afternoon thundershowers. Monday should JIT clear in the evening. Might go right back up Lookout Mountain. Two work nights in a row means next morning drink more coffee!

Tuesday JIT clearing is more suspect. Wed/Thu look pretty cloudy, but things can change with summer pop-up t-shower and debris forecasting. Comet is closest to Earth Thursday; but, I think any improvement will last through the weekend. Should still be good next week through the end of July. Comet gets higher in the sky each evening; therefore, above horizon haze and light. Hoping for more JIT clearing this weekend, with sleep in the mornings!

Meteoblue https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/map/precipitation/united-states has a basic cloud cover forecast if you don't already have a preferred model site. It is GFS based though. If you already have a favorite cloud site, probably use what's familiar. 

Binoculars work in town, including tail, but it's low contrast. Rural dark sky one can see it unaided eye an hour after sunset, northwest sky below Big Dipper. Rural binoculars it is a gorgeous sight. Nucleus jumps out. Tail is delicate and beautiful. One can imagine the comet racing through the solar system.

Gonna rank this must-see this year. My no 2020 storm chase is of no concern anymore. Comet in fact rescues 2020 from its overall debacle. I'm comet catching multiple nights the rest of the month!

6 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Family joined me for Comet Neowise viewing Sunday evening from a rural dark sky spot Lookout Mountain, GA. Believe it's a little bit better than Halley 1986, but not as good as Hyakutake 1996. While far from Hale-Bopp 1997, Neowise is a good comet. I am hoping Neowise improves to closer to Hyakutake quality.

Halley < Neowise < Hyakutake < Hale-Bopp IIRC. Right now Neowise is closer to Halley, but I am cautiously optimistic it gets closer to Hyakutake. Probably remains in between; I figure Hale Bopp is pretty unreachable. If Neowise improves past the half-way point between Halley and Hyakutake, we got a big winner!

Sky forecast is for southeast Tenn. May be valid for southern Middle Tenn, North Bama, and West Tenn. BNA to TYS MRX TRI may differ. Sunday featured just-in-time JIT clearing following afternoon thundershowers. Monday should JIT clear in the evening. Might go right back up Lookout Mountain. Two work nights in a row means next morning drink more coffee!

Tuesday JIT clearing is more suspect. Wed/Thu look pretty cloudy, but things can change with summer pop-up t-shower and debris forecasting. Comet is closest to Earth Thursday; but, I think any improvement will last through the weekend. Should still be good next week through the end of July. Comet gets higher in the sky each evening; therefore, above horizon haze and light. Hoping for more JIT clearing this weekend, with sleep in the mornings!

Meteoblue https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/map/precipitation/united-states has a basic cloud cover forecast if you don't already have a preferred model site. It is GFS based though. If you already have a favorite cloud site, probably use what's familiar. 

Binoculars work in town, including tail, but it's low contrast. Rural dark sky one can see it unaided eye an hour after sunset, northwest sky below Big Dipper. Rural binoculars it is a gorgeous sight. Nucleus jumps out. Tail is delicate and beautiful. One can imagine the comet racing through the solar system.

Gonna rank this must-see this year. My no 2020 storm chase is of no concern anymore. Comet in fact rescues 2020 from its overall debacle. I'm comet catching multiple nights the rest of the month!

Thanks for that ranking, looks like I missed the two best ones, just saw and was disappointed by Halley. Very much agree Neowise is much better. Sadly the astronomy sites show it dimming gradually ( https://cobs.si/analysis2?col=comet_id&id=1875&plot_type=0 ), even though it's closest to earth on July 22.  

• Thanks 1

I also read some astronomy Twitter panic over dimming. Is that real, or are they as neurotic as us weather folks? Hobbies are similar so probably, lol!

It's definitely dimming in space, releasing less dust and gas farther from the sun. At the same time it's approaching Earth (though not very much so) which would help all else equal (it's not if less dust/gas). Maybe it appears slightly dimming after netting out the effects; maybe it really dropped off. I don't know because I have been clouded out the last two nights (Tue/Wed). 

Oh but today Thursday in far southeast Tennessee and North Alabama the sky is a deep blue! Could that help? Thank you TD 8 subsidence and pulling in that clear tropical air. I will be dropping south along rural Lookout Mountain tonight. Barring a cloud debacle I'll find out about that dimming.

Thunderstorms continue to hold just north of Chattanooga and it appears it'll remain so into evening before they dissipate. Cloud debris is also pushing away from me. Just need to avoid any tall debris southern Middle Tennessee to my northwest. Boundaries remain that way.

HSV to MSL should be safe though a boundary is on the Tenn/Bama border. MEM might even clear out. The rest of I-40/81 looks tough BNA, TYS, MRX, TRI. But cloud cover miracles can happen. How about the sky between the clouds. Deep blue up that way too?

Here are my pictures from Sunday and Monday evenings. They are not epic comet shots, but meant to preserve approximately what we saw naked eye and binoculars. Fun with trees and cloud, then the closer one. Happy my child found it fine on the family outing, and loves it!

Sunday was just-in-time clearing, why one has to gamble sometimes. Monday was fair but not as good visibility. That's why I like to try any good visibility day clouds are less than 30%. You never know!

Trees.thumb.jpg.aad8566e959f9b81d9942f629edb5184.jpg

Low.thumb.jpg.2c47b7abb609b7419afb3edf2ca013e3.jpg

• Like 3

Nothing wrong with that comet! Answer to fading panic on Twitter. Moon light will become an issue in a few days, but the comet will be visible through the weekend and likely early next week. Could even go later next week. Moon will then back away again later days, but the moon will also be brighter. Comet will slowly fade, but it has not faded discernibly attm. 

Picture below has more light pollution because Thursday evening I had to compromise on target. Clouds encroached on Chattanooga and my preferred Lookout / Signal Mountains. Instead dropped into North Georgia between ridges. Still the sky was darker than in town but not as dark as at elevation. Good visibility helped make up for not being on a mountain.

Comet Neowise and Milky Way are below. Just think if the comet was overhead like Hyakutake was in 1996. No, I appreciate Neowise. When adjusting for the lighter sky, I think the comet still looks like it did early in the week. No concerns through the weekend, except weather LOL.

Earth_fly-by.thumb.jpg.f073a2cf9456522539d95855ad7c9154.jpg   

Milky-Way_2.thumb.jpg.82f31df195f06bdeed2133f8aded795a.jpg

• Like 1

Oh I know. The one week we have a great comet, a stationary front parks over Tenn. It's not really the polar front, but it is one stubborn boundary. This is the one week of the year I don't want a boundary. I just keep reminding myself the weather was perfect for the Big One, the total solar eclipse back in August 2017. 

Possible from Chattanooga to Knoxville west clears out this Saturday evening after some good thunderstorms already overturned the Atmo. No new development. Don't read my lips there., haha. Western sky from Plateau might even salvage this evening but that is a tougher proposition than CHA/TYS. Plateau elevation plus it's less overturned yet. Then I-65 west looks less buoyant on satellite, but need that to hold. 

I'm cautiously optimistic that spots where several thunderstorms went early (enough to overturn the atmo) the evening may be stable with decreasing clouds. Areas with later thunderstorms of course run more risk of lingering clouds. Would be nice to get a weekend night with the comet, to enjoy it w/o thinking about work the next day.

• Like 2

Sunday night weather cooperated so went up Lookout Mountain again. Comet has faded a bit, despite great visibility clear air, perhaps competing with moonlight. Tail appears shorter through binoculars, and it's a struggle unaided eye. Still fun to see our inner solar system visitor. Delicate beauty remains inspiring. 

Monday we'd intended to see the comet again as afternoon thunderstorm debris cleared by evening. Ooops! New mid-level clouds developed ahead of the trough in the western sky. However the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn were ripe for viewing in the excellent visibility air south and east. Didn't even see the usual wobbles in the 'scope (summer instability) so it was grand. Atmo probably was stabilized and overturned by previous t-showers. Just my daughter and I out back (usually front) so no sharing with the neighbors kids, haha. My plan: comet. God's Plan: planets. Often the spontaneous is the most blessed time. We take!

Likely my last comet pictures are below. They are Sunday from Lookout Mountain. I've yet to venture into telescope photography. I will probably still check on Comet Neowise clear nights through the week; but, we said our goodbye Monday right before the cloud. This has been a fun 10-14 days (3 weeks if morning). Next, meteor shower tonight if clear.

Comet gets high enough for the Big Dipper combo pic.

Big_Dipper.thumb.JPG.4beb071e718cacbf8b822d643a27f868.JPG

Tree branch points the way. Try a 'scope?

Tree2.JPG

• Like 3

I have talked to numerous people who all stated the same thing. They could see the comet tail when looking off the the side, but trying to look directly at it produced almost no naked eye visuals.

Most people are only able to find it with long exposure camera shots. 

• Like 2

I managed to grab it in the 'scope the last couple of nights.  My plan going forward is to see just how long I can keep track of it in the 'scope over the next month.  I'll check every night the weather cooperates.  It's climbing higher in the sky away from light pollution and full moon is early enough in August that I should still be able to find it for some time. 

• Like 2

Went up to the Foothills Parkway Saturday and got some cool photos of Neowise. Definitely not as intense but with the somewhat limited light pollution could definitely make it out without the aid of a camera or binoculars

DSC02472.jpg

DSC02450-2.jpg

Also got this awesome shot of TYS, you can make out the Alcoa (ok Arconic lol) tower in Alcoa as well. 

DSC02505.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1