Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2020 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Just now, BBasile said:

My first ever capture of 5 simultaneous strikes.   Last night's storms were like a strobe show.  

DSC_7278 small.jpg

Nice!  I bought a new station (just delivered yesterday) and am thinking of getting a lightning sensor for it (if anything, as a geek option since they are obviously not as accurate as the pro detectors :lol:).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Nice!  I bought a new station (just delivered yesterday) and am thinking of getting a lightning sensor for it (if anything, as a geek option since they are obviously not as accurate as the pro detectors :lol:).

lol.  That's definitely the geek option.  

Did reach 82 here today, but that's gone now with the current downpour.  Now at 78.  

49 minutes ago, BBasile said:

My first ever capture of 5 simultaneous strikes.   Last night's storms were like a strobe show.  

DSC_7278 small.jpg

Maybe 7! It looks like there's a C-2-C strike top right. And just below that on the horizon there's a bit of light, but can't really say if it's lightning in the distance or not.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Maybe 7! It looks like there's a C-2-C strike top right. And just below that on the horizon there's a bit of light, but can't really say if it's lightning in the distance or not.

Sorry, meant cg strikes.  There's definitely that IC strike, but I think the one near the horizon is just a light.  

OMFG the thing that was hitting the NE and southern Bucksco pivoted around to here.   I saw it moving this way but I HAD to go out and do some errands (and had a damn truck parked such that I couldn't get out).  When it finally moved and I zoomed out, as soon as I pulled in the lot to the post office, gully washer. :axe:  I did bring my umbrella because I knew it was coming and had hoped to beat it, but nope.  Lots of ponding in parking lots and streams running down streets. 

Anyway, between 2:30 pm and post time, I got another 0.63" of rain for a daily total of 2.28" (so far).  The max rate here hit 1.77"/hr.

Currently light rain and 73.

ETA - added the radar shot when I was in the parking lot of the little shopping complex right near me.  :wacko2:

radar67-07242020.png

• Like 1

Was outside last night around 10 pm fruitlessly comet-hunting and pretty much failing due to the continual cirrus cloud presence and not only heard my first crickets but my first katydid. So we are now officially in the depths of summer.

It has been humid as slop, both last night and this morning.  Current temp is 83 with a horrible 76 dewpoint and partly sunny.

Here in Western Chester County PA through yesterday the average temperature for July 2020 is at 76.0. If the month ended today that would be the 22nd warmest July since 1894. We have a great shot to finish with a top 20 warmest July...however a top 10 is unlikely. Below are the 5 hottest July's on record

1999 - 80.0 / 1901 - 79.2 / 1955 - 78.9 / 1921 - 78.8 / 1944 - 78.7

2 hours ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

Here in Western Chester County PA through yesterday the average temperature for July 2020 is at 76.0. If the month ended today that would be the 22nd warmest July since 1894. We have a great shot to finish with a top 20 warmest July...however a top 10 is unlikely. Below are the 5 hottest July's on record

1999 - 80.0 / 1901 - 79.2 / 1955 - 78.9 / 1921 - 78.8 / 1944 - 78.7

I'm surprised 2002 didn't end up on that list.  That was a brutal hot and dry summer, with a bad drought that finally broke in the fall.

https://www.drought.gov/drought/states/pennsylvania

Currently 92 and mostly sunny.  Am guessing I am "officially" starting a new heatwave period!

state-PA-droughts-2000s-07262020.png