Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

Just now, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Did MD start the new policy of testing all the nursing home residents and staff yet? I'm wondering if that's why there's such a big jump in cases (and still a high positive rate).

any tests given this week wouldnt have come back that fast, i don't think. 

• Thanks 1

The overall picture is that lockdowns do not really reduce transmissibility in a meaningful way (if your goal is "ending the outbreak" like many governors), and reducing lockdowns does not create the mythical enormous spike in deaths people expect, probably because many, many more people are already infected than we realize. 

The only way out of this disease is herd immunity, naturally and maybe vaccine-aided at some point. All we are doing is destroying our economy to achieve the same end goal.

3 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

You're all over the place today  Phin. Within the span of one hour, you said:

- Not being on lockdowns does not increase the transmissibility, look at Denmark.

- Being on lockdowns is not enough to lower the transmissibility and we will reach herd immunity on lockdown, look at us.

They're mutually exclusive. Also there's no way on earth you get to herd immunity while on lockdown, that would take forever.

dont feed the fire. it will burn out on its own if everyone leaves it alone

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, mappy said:

but thats you assuming it isn't widespread. its been widespread and until you test everyone you will never know how widespread it actually is. 

I’m not really assuming anything.  If the % positive dropped as the # of tests went up it would appear to be less widespread.  If it remains constant it’s more widespread. 

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

I’m not really assuming anything.  If the % positive dropped as the # of tests went up it would appear to less widespread.  If it remains constant it’s more widespread. 

its going to remain constant because its widespread. get used to seeing the positive percentages rise

Hmmm, not sure about that.  NYC and NJ saw their % positives drop considerably over time.  I would think that the more our mitigation efforts work the lower it would go. 

They have been testing more than MD has.

lol that’s been my point all along 

mmmmm  not sure, but ill take your word for it. 

in the end, our positive cases are going to continue to rise as we test more residents. and it should be expected every time there is an update. it shouldn't be a metric for reopening and it shouldn't be something to fret over. 

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

Oh lord. So many of those restaurants are walk up-wait in lines. I can imagine if it gets crowded on the beaches, there will be a LOT of people lining up and crowding the concession stand style restaurants there. At least if I'm remembering correctly from my one time there.

At least that won't happen until phase 1, which we are still probably 14 days from assuming hospitalizations start dropping like they did today.

Just now, mappy said:

mmmmm  not sure, but ill take your word for it. 

in the end, our positive cases are going to continue to rise as we test more residents. and it should be expected every time there is an update. it shouldn't be a metric for reopening and it shouldn't be something to fret over. 

I haven’t been talking about that all, I’m talking about the % positive. 

I haven’t been talking about that all, I’m talking about the % positive. 

and its going to continue to rise as we test more people. why are we going around in circles? 

% positive shouldn’t rise!!!! # of positives should rise!!!

i may not be the best math person out there, but if we see a rise in positive cases, % positive is going to rise too until we test enough people to level it out. More you test, more negatives will be found, thus lowering the % positive. We aren't there yet. 

Just now, snowfan said:

Tbh...at this point, what's the difference between opening a beach and a park or trail? Shits been packed in recent weeks. Beach will be no different. 

I agree. Was just sharing the post, not that I agree with it.

Just now, mappy said:

i may not be the best math person out there, but if we see a rise in positive cases, % positive is going to rise too until we test enough people to level it out. More you test, more negatives will be found, thus lowering the % positive. We aren't there yet. 

Now think y'all are saying the same thing. :lol:

Just now, snowfan said:

Tbh...at this point, what's the difference between opening a beach and a park or trail? Shits been packed in recent weeks. Beach will be no different. 

True enough. Annapolis rock was slammed this last weekend. I noped the heck out of that place and found a nice more relaxing and empty trail.

Just now, mappy said:

If the testing is constant yes you would see the % increase.  My only point was that the testing wasn’t constant, we got 6,600 results back which presumably means we tested a lot more people somewhat recently.  The % of positives was still over 25%. 

Just now, ErinInTheSky said:

Now think y'all are saying the same thing. :lol:

maybe. i'm not even sure whats the argument anymore. the state isn't testing enough. until we do we arent going to be seeing a decline % positive, or positive cases.

If the testing is constant yes you would see the % increase.  My only point was that the testing wasn’t constant, we got 6,600 results back which presumably means we tested a lot more people somewhat recently.  The % of positives was still over 25%. 

because its widespread and to be expected. its going to be some time before we see that go down. 

Just now, mappy said:

because its widespread and to be expected. its going to be some time before we see that go down. 

I know this isn't a metric for reopening MD, however isn't there an expectation that some of these cases are going to require hospitalization?  I don't believe MD is randomly testing people, just sick people.

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Have we seen huge spikes in infections from FL and TX beaches? Why would we expect MD beaches to somehow be more dangerous? Doesn't seem logical.

FL governor has ordered their state medical examiner to stop reporting numbers.  We're never going to get a real picture from that state.  The Lt. Governor of Texas said there are more important things than living.  Both states are example of political officials who really don't care.  Data from those two states will be murky at best.

• Like 1

Just now, Leaking Gut said:

I know this isn't a metric for reopening MD, however isn't there an expectation that some of these cases are going to require hospitalization?  I don't believe MD is randomly testing people, just sick people.

Yes, there will be those who are recently positive that will require hospitalizations. not everyone will of course, which is why hogan isn't using it as a metic.

and correct, as far as i know, you can't just go get a test. i have no idea who they are testing, i assume only those with symptoms. but they may be contact testing too, who knows. 

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic