Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Memory Lane

Rjay

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

why the mixing? I found that annoying although we still got 7 inches but LGA got 14 inches somehow and ISP had 12

It was mostly a snow event. After an initial thump we had freezing drizzle in the afternoon followed by heavy snow at night but I do recall ice pellets mixing in even during the heaviest snowfall. Still had 9" and a white Christmas 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

It was mostly a snow event. After an initial thump we had freezing drizzle in the afternoon followed by heavy snow at night but I do recall ice pellets mixing in even during the heaviest snowfall. Still had 9" and a white Christmas 

I had some sleet and freezing drizzle in the middle of that storm...

5 hours ago, uncle W said:

I had some sleet and freezing drizzle in the middle of that storm...

plane skidded off the runway at JFK and into the Bay on the second day of the storm when it switched back to snow and was snowing pretty heavily during the day

three day storm

we never got the predicted 15-20 but didnt care much when we got more than that in the Jan blizzard lol  but this storm was underrated and there was still snow and ice on the ground and on the roads from this storm when we got the big blizzard

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

plane skidded off the runway at JFK and into the Bay on the second day of the storm when it switched back to snow and was snowing pretty heavily during the day

three day storm

we never got the predicted 15-20 but didnt care much when we got more than that in the Jan blizzard lol  but this storm was underrated and there was still snow and ice on the ground and on the roads from this storm when we got the big blizzard

I'm gonna look up how many plane crashes there was during a snowfall...off the top of my head was...

Feb 1st 1957...plane crash in Rikers Island during a snowstorm...

Dec 16th, 1960...mid air collision during snow and fog,,,

Mar 22nd, 1992 LGA...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

I'm gonna look up how many plane crashes there was during a snowfall...off the top of my head was...

Feb 1st 1957...plane crash in Rikers Island during a snowstorm...

Dec 16th, 1960...mid air collision during snow and fog,,,

Mar 22nd, 1992 LGA...

wow any casualties with these? and what were the snowfall amounts with them?  

17 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

wow any casualties with these? and what were the snowfall amounts with them?  

My uncle who was a cop in 1961 told me about a plane crash he had to go to on January 19th, 1961 during the JFK inaugural storm...who would want to take off in a blizzard?...it was aborted but there was four crew deaths...the airport was called Idlewild but changed to JFK after Kennedy's death...

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, uncle W said:

My uncle who was a cop in 1961 told me about a plane crash he had to go to on January 19th, 1961 during the JFK inaugural storm...who would want to take off in a blizzard?...it was aborted but there was four crew deaths...the airport was called Idlewild but changed to JFK after Kennedy's death...

I have an old birdwatching/weather book with a map in it from the 40s and that refers to it as Idlewild too.  How old is that airport?

I take it the first data from there is from the mid 50s?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, uncle W said:

so far December is as bad or worse than NY football if thats possible...Here's why I was spoiled as a kid (schools closed three days) with a blizzard on this date in 1960...

I remember seeing folks using skies on Bay Ridge Parkway. I also remember Mayor Wagner banned cars for snow removal. As always….

• Like 1

I think that was the Feb 4th storm when the city banned traffic...The schools were closed for snow on Dec 12th-14th...Jan 20th...Feb 5th-7th...we had to make up those school days in July 61...

Your absolutely right on the car Feb ban. I remember using the sled to help my mom haul shopping from the A&P on 13th Ave. As always …..

4 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

what happened to it?

did someone break it?

My dad would buy the news and the mirror religiously. It took me awhile to figure out that comics first, than the sport sections were the main attractions. The news had Dick Tracy and the mirror had Lil Abner. As always.

• Like 2

1948...the storm my mom fell in the snow while pregnant with me and had to be helped...maybe this is why I'm such a snow freak...

1948 blizzard...

http://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/53991524/

http://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/53991528

Good morning Unc. You were with and protected by the best person possible. The legacy of such defines you. Thank you for the news paper. I enjoyed the comics and the 1948 tv listings. Howdy Doody on WNBT (no C yet) and sign off with a news reel at 11. Six tv channels, 2, 4, 5, 7, 11 and 13 and I counted 19 radio stations. My earliest memories, 1951/52 revolve around my families 12 “ corner console. As always …

• Like 2

On this date, 12/30/2000, 21 years ago,  I witnessed the heaviest snowfall rates I've ever seen, not topped before or since, even with all the great storms that followed over the 20 years to follow.  At its peak, could see two houses down my suburban block, but not three.  I've got non-digital photos somewhere I'll have to find sometime.

Only ended up with about 9-10 inches, at the time a big deal with really only 96, 83, and a fuzzy memory of 78 for reference, with the jackpot 2000/2010s yet to come.  The rain/snow line per radar was a hair to my southeast for the entire event.  What a great storm.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

On this date, 12/30/2000, 21 years ago,  I witnessed the heaviest snowfall rates I've ever seen, not topped before or since, even with all the great storms that followed over the 20 years to follow.  At its peak, could see two houses down my suburban block, but not three.  I've got non-digital photos somewhere I'll have to find sometime.

Only ended up with about 9-10 inches, at the time a big deal with really only 96, 83, and a fuzzy memory of 78 for reference, with the jackpot 2000/2010s yet to come.  The rain/snow line per radar was a hair to my southeast for the entire event.  What a great storm.

cant be better than Jan 2016 30 inches of snow