Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20-21 Snow and other Observations

KamuSnow

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

Interesting that normal where you are is probably close to where you were here. The pattern of the last 2 winters there sounds like here in 2011-12 and 2012-13. So maybe next winter there? 2013-14 did have a pretty snowy February, but since then it's been 4 in a row of meh, like you said. I might have to check 2015 to be certain though. Might have been better north in the CWA.

Pretty much across the region from WV thru NJ, Feb 2015 was above normal snowfall. That was the last decent February.  So, 3 bad ones in a row.

El Nino favors Feb, and also favors areas south of 40N much more than La Nina.  We probably need an El Nino, or next winter will likely be another dud for those of us below 40N.  The only good La Nina winter I recall off-hand for those of us below 40N is 1995-96.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Two day difference.  Just a bit of melt!

PhotoGrid_1521904894575.jpg

Just a bit! Some areas are holding on pretty well - not so much here, although the shady spots are trying to hang in there. A nice late March look. Might see Forsythias in another week or so? Last year they were done in by the February heat and March cold. This year has the potential to be a decent year for spring flowers, albeit a little late.

2 hours ago, famartin said:

Pretty much across the region from WV thru NJ, Feb 2015 was above normal snowfall. That was the last decent February.  So, 3 bad ones in a row.

El Nino favors Feb, and also favors areas south of 40N much more than La Nina.  We probably need an El Nino, or next winter will likely be another dud for those of us below 40N.  The only good La Nina winter I recall off-hand for those of us below 40N is 1995-96.

Thanks for the clarification Ray - I checked and we had 13.4" here in February 2015, with the highest snowfall at 5.1", so it was decent here. I have this idea that February is our best snow month, although certainly not the last few years, and it makes sense that the El Nino years are better. If La Nina persists for next winter a dud would not be surprising - seems we got lucky this year, along the Mason Dixon line at least. A weak El Nino later this year would be nice.

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

Just a bit! Some areas are holding on pretty well - not so much here, although the shady spots are trying to hang in there. A nice late March look. Might see Forsythias in another week or so? Last year they were done in by the February heat and March cold. This year has the potential to be a decent year for spring flowers, albeit a little late.

It's the same here.  Probably have 5 inches still in the shady areas, the rest is just grass.  Looks like it's hanging on mostly in the higher elevations and in Jersey where it was the heaviest.  

As far as flowers, I'll have to take your word for it.  I know nothing.  lol

3 hours ago, BBasile said:

It's the same here.  Probably have 5 inches still in the shady areas, the rest is just grass.  Looks like it's hanging on mostly in the higher elevations and in Jersey where it was the heaviest.  

As far as flowers, I'll have to take your word for it.  I know nothing.  lol

Yeah, not really a forecast, just an assumption based on the idea of warming up slowly over the next 2 to 3 weeks meaning late blooms, etc., and by mid April we should be at a much reduced risk of a late damaging freeze. Cool maybe but not frigid. It's a nice concept at least :-).

We have a white Magnolia which looks and smells great when it's allowed to bloom, and 2 out of the last 4 years it's been messed with by too warm followed by too cold. So I'm cautiously optimistic this year. That's a big hunk of my flower expertise.

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Snow in the sun is doing worst than I expected and snow in the shade is doing much better than I expected. With temps in the 40s today, tomorrow and Monday the "shade snow" should still be around come Tuesday morning if not longer...

Yes indeed - I may need to revise my idea of having some patches of snow (other than piles) around come April 1st. I'm sure there will be a couple somewhere though, lol.

14” has been decimated, darn March sun! Flat grass has a small snow covering, any south facing slope was done by early yesterday, and north facing or shade still has several inches. At our latitude snow only has true staying power in dec and jan with feb being marginal and march being this .

Even my driveway snow pile(Kamu-Lite) was just about knocked out this weekend by the march sun. Now the only spots with snow in my area are shaded areas. Vast majority was gone after Friday. Spring snow is polarizing. I love that it doesn't stick around to get all dirty/icy but hate that it melts as quick as the storm lasted. 

On 3/24/2018 at 12:57 PM, KamuSnow said:

Thanks for the clarification Ray - I checked and we had 13.4" here in February 2015, with the highest snowfall at 5.1", so it was decent here. I have this idea that February is our best snow month, although certainly not the last few years, and it makes sense that the El Nino years are better. If La Nina persists for next winter a dud would not be surprising - seems we got lucky this year, along the Mason Dixon line at least. A weak El Nino later this year would be nice.

Yep, weak el nino's are usually above average more often than not. If I had to pick an enso state going into winter, a weak nino would be it every time.  Only time we get skunked in weak nino's is if the NAO and AO are both positive. But the active STJ is worth the risk of it being warm every time over getting the cold but having no STJ in play. It's still a long way out and so much can change from now until October but the majority of climo models are projecting a weak nino for winter 18-19 right now. Plus we have to be heading into a -NAO majority winter soon after getting practically none the last 3 years. Hopefully things continue to point in the weak nino direction. We can still do really well in a moderate nino too. Just get us out of this freakin La Nina from hell though...

Still have snow on half of the front lawn average depth 3" max 5", and a large patch of snow and ice remains on the driveway outside the side door. Always thought it interesting that if you have a swath of decent growth pine trees and an open area to their north this spot will keep the snow longest. There is such a spot close by and about 5" remains there. 

Finished a snow walk in the pale moon light 30F seemed surreal, almost Decemberish.

EPS West based neg NAO look is definitely not supportive of any sustained spring-like pattern thru at least the next 10 days. Euro has 2 legit snow potentials over the next 240 hours for our region, the second of which the Euro is really honking. Like I mentioned before, climo says N and W + elevation favored but pattern look suggests we need to at least keep an open mind and continue tracking.

The overnight euro had over 6" in the NW burbs centered over the relative high spots in NW Chesco...agreed - something to watch
Euro op, CMC, Icon all have snow falling Sunday night and/or Monday. GFS has been trending closer with the precip. Doesnt look like a big deal but any snow in April is always worth watching as it doesnt happen too often.

Well the snow pile won't have a problem making it to April 1st, but the remaining snow patches (seen in the way back on the left) are all but gone this morning (this was taken yesterday pm). A little sad, but better to have snowed and melted than never to have snowed at all, as they say :-). Since March 2nd we've had some snow on the ground here (other than in piles), even if in patches. Not a bad run! No sign of forsythias yet (down behind the snow patches) but a few daffodils blooming in sunny places.

Snowpile_3-28-18.thumb.jpg.5b92632451280986b87b945a6be0a84f.jpg

17 hours ago, The Iceman said:

This one looks interesting but I'm not quite on board yet. Another day or 2 before firing up the good luck thread.

Hold your fire! :lol:  I went and looked to see when the last time we had a snow thread in April and it was just 2 years ago, for April 8th-9th. I thought it had been longer - maybe because those April snows are here today and gone tomorrow. I'm ready though.

Hold your fire!   I went and looked to see when the last time we had a snow thread in April and it was just 2 years ago, for April 8th-9th. I thought it had been longer - maybe because those April snows are here today and gone tomorrow. I'm ready though.

Monday threat took a step back overnight but maybe that is the seasonal trend at work where it reappears within 72 hours :-D Front comes thru and a weak wave tries to develop along trailing cold front overnight Sunday. Some models have the weak wave, others shear it. Those that have it spread mood flakes and light snows across the Southern part of the region on Monday. Again, doesnt look like much of anything just some white rain at best right now but for April, I'll take it.

Euro, CMC, and GFS op on board with a signal for something potentially bigger April 5-10 with a triple phaser being modeled on some ens.

15 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GGEM among others is really honking at a day 9-11 potential. Unreal:

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_40.png

How is that Monday GGEM-ECM snow looking now lol i think the closer you get to summer the less reliable models get for snow forecasting

65F here feels awesome finally, finally. Feeling some serious anguish about more cold coming in April.

* and there comes the 12z euro dropping the long range snow idea, way way north i think safe to say it was all just fantasy

How is that Monday GGEM-ECM snow looking now lol i think the closer you get to summer the less reliable models get for snow forecasting
65F here feels awesome finally, finally. Feeling some serious anguish about more cold coming in April.
* and there comes the 12z euro dropping the long range snow idea, way way north i think safe to say it was all just fantasy

Funny thing about Monday's snow threat.....it didnt vanish for reasons one would think given the time of year. Rather than trending N and being a warmer rain threat it has trended South and drier due to a colder push of air lol.

Yes, I am surf fishing today and the weather is great! Fishing aint bad either....blues :-) Based on guidance I figured I'd better get out today as it is a decent window.

Honestly, I looking more forward to severe weather (T-storms) than any upcoming potential snow event(s). It's just too late and anything that falls is complete crap. I think we squeezed all we could out of Winter 2018...

*Still snow mounds in shopping lots and I have a couple patches in shaded area.

Honestly, I looking more forward to severe weather (T-storms) than any upcoming potential snow event(s). It's just too late and anything that falls is complete crap. I think we squeezed all we could out of Winter 2018...
*Still snow mounds in shopping lots and I have a couple patches in shaded area.
Agreed, I want a stretch of warm weather too....I have a ton of yardwork to catch up on. But until we see a legit flip to spring we're unfortunately stuck with this pattern....so being a hobbyist Im just tracking whatever nature throws at us whether that is an anomalous cold pattern or a severe threat. After the Day10 threat the NAO finally looks to go positive (tho it continues getting delayed) so hopefully by some point during the 2nd week of April we can start enjoying spring for what it should be in a more sustained manner.

Archived