Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 7th snow threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

That's what I'll get if I'm lucky, not what you'll get. You'll probably switch to a ton of sleet and some ZR, maybe you get to 33-34 at the end. Surface temps modeled are almost always too warm in these events inland. Here I think it's a solid chance I hit 50F. 

Once wind shift to the south it’s off to the races. You actually may stay colder then you think though with near shore water temps in the upper 30s

1 hour ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Lol nope

I wouldn't rule it out. The changeover usually comes a bit earlier than expected with these systems, so we really need to rip for a few hours and I'm not sure I see the kind of banding signature that would lend itself to rapid accumulations. 6-8" is usually the soft ceiling for SWFEs even if you're all snow. Waste 1/3 to 1/2 of your precip on unsavory p-types and it's a nuisance event.

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Once wind shift to the south it’s off to the races. You actually may stay colder then you think though with near shore water temps in the upper 30s

Depends on where the low tracks. It's a deep easterly flow though so there's plenty of warmth that comes my way. If it really goes over NYC, I think I make it to 50.

23 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I wouldn't rule it out. The changeover usually comes a bit earlier than expected with these systems, so we really need to rip for a few hours and I'm not sure I see the kind of banding signature that would lend itself to rapid accumulations. 6-8" is usually the soft ceiling for SWFEs even if you're all snow. Waste 1/3 to 1/2 of your precip on unsavory p-types and it's a nuisance event.

This thing has a connection deep into the Gulf. That’s why areas that stay all snow should see a foot plus. I’ll be in the southern greens Friday and I’m expecting a ton of snow up there. I think you’ll rip pretty hard before the changeover. I think there will be less ice and more of a snow to rain scenario 

9 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

This thing has a connection deep into the Gulf. That’s why areas that stay all snow should see a foot plus. I’ll be in the southern greens Friday and I’m expecting a ton of snow up there. I think you’ll rip pretty hard before the changeover. I think there will be less ice and more of a snow to rain scenario 

Agreed on ice being a minimal concern. We do get a plume of respectable PWATs but it swings through so quickly. It's about a 9-hour deal in most places on the GFS. It would be awesome for upstate NY and NNE to cash in with a foot... I just wouldn't be brave enough to put that in my forecast.

21 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Agreed on ice being a minimal concern. We do get a plume of respectable PWATs but it swings through so quickly. It's about a 9-hour deal in most places on the GFS. It would be awesome for upstate NY and NNE to cash in with a foot... I just wouldn't be brave enough to put that in my forecast.

Pardon my stupidity, but what does the acronym PWAT stand for? 

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Per the latest Euro, would need to revise my forecast to this

Southeast of pink line < 1"

Blue line is 2-4"

Dark Blue Line is 4-6"

Yellow area is 6-8"+

sketched_5a79ee7a51c39.png

This puts Poughkeepsie and surrounding in 6-8.  Given latest guidance blend, I think that is too high, although I wish that would verify. 

1 hour ago, snywx said:

Looking icy up here. Those warm mid levels are gonna kill the snow potential here

1 hour ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Yea I’d be shocked if 2” is our ceiling tho

I'm thinking 1-2 by me going to PL. For you guys 3-5 to sleet. The mid levels will do me in and the southerly flow up the river valley. You guys will hold on a bit longer.  

4 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

The overnight forecasted lows around 15-20 will make some ice conditions where rain will freeze on contact mid-morning on whoever flips over to rain up this way.

Yes I do think that cold air will be stubborn to scour out at the surface given the fresh injection.  I think ZR issues will be problematic for many. 

6 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

I wish but not buying it given other guidance.  Will need to look at the mesos later today.. I don't live too far from the river, so my valley location will further decrease snow amounts. 

Same for me here my elevation is 125'. We might get some ice accumulate on frozen surfaces if the cold surface air doesn't get pushed out. 

Archived