• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

4 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Ha! It seems to work well. Many highways are built along topographic features...so weather often seems to change along them. Regardless, I need to GET the job first. It would be so amazing to have several job offers to choose from so I could CHOOSE which place to live in. Ha! Back to reality... :P

Madison county is rural and quite nice. They do well from a snow standpoint although i dont have average values, but they tend to get more synoptic and lake effect on NW flow due to elevation.  Not as much as say, Fulton but you can see light/mod LES occurring there on radar due to the hills and added lift despite being further from the lake.

Hard to offer too much detailed advice when you don't know where you will end up yet.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

Madison county is rural and quite nice. They do well from a snow standpoint although i dont have average values, but they tend to get more synoptic and lake effect on NW flow due to elevation.  Not as much as say, Fulton but you can see light/mod LES occurring there on radar due to the hills and added lift despite being further from the lake.

Hard to offer too much detailed advice when you don't know where you will end up yet.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll know within a month or two. Being a weather weenie, I've been doing lots of googling of "lake effect snow warnings" and "snow depth maps" over the past couple of days. lol... Most people think I'm crazy for my snow obsession...but I know you guys understand. :P

5 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll know within a month or two. Being a weather weenie, I've been doing lots of googling of "lake effect snow warnings" and "snow depth maps" over the past couple of days. lol... Most people think I'm crazy for my snow obsession...but I know you guys understand. :P

We do understand. Not sure where you are coming from but ppl here can probably steer you right locations once you have employment figured out.  In general, there aren't many places in the US (that are well populated) that get more snow than CNY/WNY.  Except maybe areas of NE CT that have magical snow amounts. ;)

In the 3 years I have lived in Fulton we have had snow cover for the majority of winters and we have yet to even have an “average “ winter..If one is just looking for snow cover, most of Oswego county is sufficient but if you’re looking for feet then yes the tug is the place to be lol 

If your having a hard time finding work in Oswego/Fulton area, good luck finding work up on the tug lol 

5 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

In the 3 years I have lived in Fulton we have had snow cover for the majority of winter and we have yet to even have an “average “ winter..If one is just looking for snow cover, most of Oswego county is sufficient but if you’re looking for feet then yes the tug is the place to be lol 

If your having a hard time finding work in Oswego/Fulton area, good luck finding work up on the tug lol 

Ha! Well, I have found one in Watertown and one in Lowville, which are definitely a doable drive from some heavy Tug snows. I have looked for jobs in Fulton for the past year...and doesn't look like it's doing too well economically. I also had a possibility in Baldwinsville, but that seems waaaay too suburban for me. Syrmax probably knows about that living in Clay. If I had gotten that job, I was looking at living just south of Fulton or around Phoenix and commuting.

Yea Fulton sucks economically lol 60% of the population probably on public assistant, good thing I’m not one of them haha But I moved here because of the amount of jobs that surrounds this area, Oswego, clay/Liverpool, Syracuse etc..

Not to mention Fulton is a 4sq mile city with like 9 gas stations and 5 grocery stores, I’ll never run out of food or gas, that’s for sure lol

3 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Ha! Well, I have found one in Watertown and one in Lowville, which are definitely a doable drive from some heavy Tug snows. I have looked for jobs in Fulton for the past year...and doesn't look like it's doing too well economically. I also had a possibility in Baldwinsville, but that seems waaaay too suburban for me. Syrmax probably knows about that living in Clay. If I had gotten that job, I was looking at living just south of Fulton or around Phoenix and commuting.

Yup, I'm in sorta suburbia, although we are zoned Agricultural/Residential north of Rt 31 and not developments...and also only a 10 minute drive from Home Depot / Lowes and food shopping. If i was on my own, i'd probably live further north into Oswego county where LES is better but our house location wasnt totally my call...if you get my drift.

2 hours ago, blackrock said:

Thanks for the greeting, Dave. I have looked at Fulton and Oswego,  but can't find many jobs. They also seem to have big thaws in much of Oswego county. I am applying for Agricultural Educator positions, as well as Children's Ministry positions at churches. Some day my wife and I hope to own a bed and breakfast. :)

So, currently, I need to be somewhat close to a place that has some job opportunities. I also don't want to commute longer than 20 minutes to work. I want to live close to where I work, which is why it's a bit of a bummer that the Tug doesn't offer much opportunities. I feel like Lowville would be the best option, as I could live 10 minutes west and get tons of snow (if I could even find a house!) or perhaps down near Turin or Highmarket, which aren't far away.

Morrisville looks appealing because of its cooler climate and higher elevation....but I can't seem to find much on the climate for there. Probably because it is a pretty rural area. The rural character of Madison County is also very appealing. I hate Suburbia and have no desire to live in suburbs. :)

Thank you so much for your detailed info and wisdom. I have thought often over the past year about how much of an impact 300 inches of snow a winter would have on normal daily life. You have excellent points with that. It could be hard on my wife, which I definitely do not want. So probably somewhere just outside of the Primary snow belt, but close enough to often cash in and get great amounts of snow. It is amazing how much less snow Lowville seems to get than just west of there. I know it is in a valley, so that can greatly affect it. I also didn't realize Copenhagen lost its snow that much faster. So even though it has some elevation, that 500 feet less than some of the other parts of the Tug makes a big difference it appears. Your post is extreison Counties getting the heaviest snow."

I have a friend who has a cottage on Brantingham Lake who rents it out. If you’re interested, https://www.vrbo.com/755583

Its close to Lowville and Turin. 4 season and pretty reasonable 

Man, the way you guys describe central NY, I'll never be able to move there. I'm 1 block from a 711, Wendys, McDonalds, Arbys, and about 10 restaurants. 15 Minutes to downtown Buffalo. Can get to the beach to Jetski in summer in about 5 minutes. I90. Thruway is 1/2 mile away. Gym is around the block. Like I said Hamburg is the perfect spot where you make no sacrifices and get enough snow to make me satisfied. The economy is also booming here. Me and the wife both have professional jobs that pay pretty decent. 

Map: Composite inclusion rankings among the largest 100 U.S. metropolitan areas, 2010-2015

57 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Here is the website that keeps track of all Lake Snow events the last 25 years. 

http://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2017-2018&event=A

If you lived on top of a hill in the Boston Hills or Colden you would lose very few modern conveniences and be a 30 minute drive to downtown Buffalo for jobs. You would be 1200-1500' elevation, get 200" of snow per year, keep snow on the ground majority of the winter. Houses are also pretty reasonable and taxes are low. That would be my spot for WNY if you don't choose Perrysburg/Mayville. 

4 hours ago, southbuffalowx said:

I am graduating this spring and will most likely be moving down to NYC this summer for work. The next 6 weeks will probably be my last shot at real winter for several years, but it's not looking too promising. 

I swear if next winter ends up being the next big LES event in the metro, and I'm away, I'll be pretty upset, since I was stuck in Amherst in 2014. 25" of snow per winter, after getting used to seeing single storms dump that will be difficult to get used to lol. 

Don't worry, we will let you know a week before it comes so you can get the first flight back. 

10 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The GEM has it too, but hits Mt Tolland with 2-3', only above 1200' elevation though. ^_^

I saw 12Z Canuck had it and now 00Z GooFuS joins the party. Actually, I think 12Z Eurotrash also showed a slp just S of Cape Cod. So maybe there's support building.   Interior eastern CT averages a virtual 60-80" of snow per season (40" per NOAA data) but it's not surprising to see higher totals on a localized basis. ;)

Well, gotta say op GFS looks considerably less Torchy than the Euro op runs. About 3-4 days of 40s (maybe a day of 50s) and some rain but not a "winter cancel"  furnace.  Not sure what GEFS shows. 

One of these pigs of a model gonna be really wrong.   

Wouldn't surprise me if Eurotrash's 75 degrees at KSYR next week turns out about as good as those clown maps back in late December showing 75" of snow over 10 days here...payback is a b**ch.

40 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Wherever you decide to move Blackrock, you'll experience snowfall rates like you've never seen before. 12" an hour off the tug in the best events and 8" per hour off Erie. The lake effect in the western lakes just doesn't compare to the eastern lakes. 

Oh, yes! As you know, I currently live in the Lake Michigan snow belt, and average around 100 inches a year. We get our best lake snow when it's pretty cold out...so lake effect is so fluffy here, that it disappears so fast with any stupid thaw. I realize thaws are definitely possible in NY, but hoping that some of that more dense synoptic snow can make it tougher to melt so flipping fast. I like the map you posted above that shows the snow totals for most of upstate NY...not just Buffalo's area. I also like that it has that little circle of heavier snow right around Morrisville in Madison County. :) Watertown seems like a place where the southside of town gets LOTS more snow than the north side/Fort Drum area.

4 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Oh, yes! As you know, I currently live in the Lake Michigan snow belt, and average around 100 inches a year. We get our best lake snow when it's pretty cold out...so lake effect is so fluffy here, that it disappears so fast with any stupid thaw. I realize thaws are definitely possible in NY, but hoping that some of that more dense synoptic snow can make it tougher to melt so flipping fast. I like the map you posted above that shows the snow totals for most of upstate NY...not just Buffalo's area. I also like that it has that little circle of heavier snow right around Morrisville in Madison County. :) Watertown seems like a place where the southside of town gets LOTS more snow than the north side/Fort Drum area.

That's a correct read...north of Watertown definately gets less LES. And it's noticeably colder up that way. Not that it's balmy here but the North country is closer to the cold air source.

6 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Euro is disgusting once again, max of 2” (Dacks) for the entire state over the next 10 days..

Eurotrash has no weekend storm that i could see...only can see H5, H8 and sfc though.  GFS and Canadian and other models have it.  Kind of odd to see such a disconnect. Todays runs will be interesting.  

9 hours ago, blackrock said:

Hopefully we provided you with enough info to make a good decision for you and your family. Judging by your posts in the GL sections about snow pack you would definitely need to move to higher elevation of tug to avoid thaws as they are very prevalent here. Northern Maine and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan has good snow retention as well. Good luck with the job search! 

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Hopefully we provided you with enough info to make a good decision for you and your family. Judging by your posts in the GL sections about snow pack you would definitely need to move to higher elevation of tug to avoid thaws as they are very prevalent here. Northern Maine and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan has good snow retention as well. Good luck with the job search! 

Thanks! I hope my posts don't across negative on there. I just love a good, SOLID winter. Not wishy-washy ones. Hard to find in the States... I would move to the UP in a heartbeat. My wife says NO WAY. We're originally from PA, and with hopes of starting a family over the next couple of years, we would like to be closer to family than a 10 to 12 hour drive away...yet still far enough away that we have our own lives. Upstate is perfect...as it is about 3.5 to 4.5 hours away from most of our family in PA...yet winter is much more prevalent. I look forward to hopefully sharing good news with you all in the months to come. Thanks again to everybody for your tips and suggestions. Excuse me while I start saving up for those high property taxes I keep reading complaints about................................. :P

Archived