Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2017 OBS Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

There were some pics of an overturned car after a straight-line wind event in Deptford, NJ back in June 2015.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Car-Flipped-Walls-Damaged-at-Deptford-Mall-309397211.html

Mt. Holly ruled out a tornado in that case - http://nj1015.com/did-a-tornado-touchdown-in-south-jersey/

I know they have to look at the damage pattern to confirm either way.

That was the same day we lost a big old black cherry tree here (straight line winds). Using the trunk for a planter for now, have canna lillies growing in it this year :-).

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

That was the same day we lost a big old black cherry tree here (straight line winds). Using the trunk for a planter for now, have canna lillies growing in it this year :-).

Was looking at my old records and that was a frontal passage... unleashed a downpour with a lot of lightning around here.  My temps dropped 20 degrees in an hour late afternoon, but resulted in a beautiful sunset that evening.

The last little line of rain finally exited (has been drizzling the past hour or so).  Ended up with 0.85" for the event.  Currently 68F and mostly cloudy but clearing, with a nice sunset making a valiant attempt!

Climate summary for today Hi/Lo Chester County 75.2/63.6 and Sea Isle City 78.2/67.3 about 7 degrees below our normal high here in Chester County. Through the 1st eight days of the month we are running 3.1 degrees below normal. Appears mighty likely that Chester County will finish with just 1 day above 90 all summer. Either way likely we finish with less than 5 days above 90 degrees for the 7th time in the last 15 years and lowest such days since the back to back zero 90+ days in the summers of both 2014 and 2015. 

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Definitely have to water the garden tomorrow or Thurs....don't see rain till Friday+. Nice stretch of periodic moisture though...can't bietch.

Critters are out in full force again:  69.4F / DP 59F

But it just rained all day yesterday, should be enough until Friday or Saturday considering the lack of heat.

I have terrible soil here in the Unami forrest I tell people it's cursed because it's Indian burial ground, strangely the only thing that grows well is pumpkins. I had to abandon the south garden area everything dies there. My soil in Horsham was nasty looking heavy red clay and things grew like the garden of Eden, here the soil is like black forest cake that is full of disease and poison.

Nah we will have a couple more surges of heat before the warm season is over approaching 90F

In other news the modeled very wet period of Friday through Monday that looked like 1-2" rain potential has fallen apart now looks closer to .50" at best. Everything rides on weather or not I water my plants, if i water we are sure to exceed .50"

56 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Nah we will have a couple more surges of heat before the warm season is over approaching 90F

In other news the modeled very wet period of Friday through Monday that looked like 1-2" rain potential has fallen apart now looks closer to .50" at best. Everything rides on weather or not I water my plants, if i water we are sure to exceed .50"

You won't have any IMO...I'm kinda part-Philly and I think 2 days max at 90+ from here on out.

Easily 1"+ plus in most areas through Monday...perhaps start a Fri through Mon thread?

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:09 PM, Birds~69 said:

You won't have any IMO...I'm kinda part-Philly and I think 2 days max at 90+ from here on out.

Easily 1"+ plus in most areas through Monday...perhaps start a Fri through Mon thread?

I would love for that to bear out, and even though this summer has been awesome overall for lack of excessive heat and for ample rainfall, I'm a little cautious based on highs in the 90's the last two Septembers (in the first 2 weeks of the month). Both years it was hot (and dry) until the 15th followed by a 2 week period for reseeding the lawn followed by 3" plus of rain on the 29th - 30th. Doubtful it will repeat, but it left a mark, lol.

ETA: Seems this site was down today for a while?

Climate summary today here in Chester County Hi/Lo 77.7/63.9 while down in Sea Isle City NJ 78.0/68.4

Currently cloudy with showers about 40 miles west of Chesco while as you see below Sunny and 76.6 in SIC - steady sea breeze all day down there!

I am feeling mighty confident that here in beautiful Chester County we will now end the summer of 2017 with just 1 day above 90 all year - and that 90 on June 13th was before summer officially began - ya gotta love climate change!

SICHi.20170811_175701.jpg

5 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

I would love for that to bear out, and even though this summer has been awesome overall for lack of excessive heat and for ample rainfall, I'm a little cautious based on highs in the 90's the last two Septembers (in the first 2 weeks of the month). Both years it was hot (and dry) until the 15th followed by a 2 week period for reseeding the lawn followed by 3" plus of rain on the 29th - 30th. Doubtful it will repeat, but it left a mark, lol.

ETA: Seems this site was down today for a while?

Yeah, it was.

I don't see a "baking end" to this summer. (Or Sept in general) Maybe a day or two 90 or so but I see summer just fading to fall w/o a fight.

Radar active...hopefully something fades my way.

rad1.jpg

5 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Huge gap on the radar in SEPA is because I didn't water my plants today. Funny the NAM has been showing a split like this.

The arrow indicates the "shaft zone"....echoes to the N....echoes to the S...we're in between. Still think something will sneak in our way overnight. I've had too much luck this summer season for it to fail now.

sh.jpg

4 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

The arrow indicates the "shaft zone"....echoes to the N....echoes to the S...we're in between. Still think something will sneak in our way overnight. I've had too much luck this summer season for it to fail now.

sh.jpg

Despite the above normal rainfall of the summer this very same shaft zone keeps repeating, happened the last event for the first two rounds, the last round got us. No third round with this one :( I don't understand why the NAM shows nothing for tomorrow and the GFS is wet, but the NAM has been awful.

7 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Despite the above normal rainfall of the summer this very same shaft zone keeps repeating, happened the last event for the first two rounds, the last round got us. No third round with this one :( I don't understand why the NAM shows nothing for tomorrow and the GFS is wet, but the NAM has been awful.

I think the blob down in DC and Balt may graze me overnight. You're in a bad spot. More chances  tomorrow for both of us.

nj.jpg

25 minutes ago, RedSky said:

A miss is going to hurt something serious because it's going to be dry for a week after the front.

Wouldn't say a week but several days. Looks like next Thurs night - Sat is our next best shot(s).

Don't see any 90's on the horizon which is fine by me.

Critters are out in full force again...they sense rain.

Archived