• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
List of Miller B storms in the past 15-20 years

Fozz

Since there's a lot of Miller B talk in the model disco thread, I thought it was a good idea to compile a list of all of the Millers Bs of the past 15-20 years, and then see how often they fail for our area. Of course, it will vary a bit depending on whether you're in northern VA or northeast MD, but I'm curious about how "bad" they really are.

Not a complete list, but here's what I can think off the top of my head:

12/30/2000: total fail for us. I wasn't following the weather back then, but I was told that forecasts were calling for a major storm right up until the night before, and then the whole system stayed east of us. Philly got 9", NYC got a foot, and parts of NJ received over 20".

Late January 2004: We had a nice storm, but a few days later was a NYC special which I'm pretty sure was a Miller B. NYC got 10-12" IIRC, with maybe 1" where I live.

January 2005: Disappointing for most of us since we got dryslotted. Forecast was 8-14" here, ended up with 6" and a very premature end while 40N got a full fledged KU storm.

1/27/09: Mostly an interior event, but I think we got some light snow and a wintry mix.

February 10, 2010: Epic storm, one of the greatest Miller Bs of all time for Baltimore. Pretty good storm for DC too.

Late Feb 2010 "Snowicane": Total fail, but I don't think most of us cared anymore since the winter was so epic.

Jan 11, 2011: Minor event for us, big storm for 40N, and I think parts of SNE had historic totals.

12/26/2012: Decent event for the western burbs.

Feb 2013: Total fail.

March 2013: Enough said.

Early January 2014: This was a nice overperformer and the first regionwide storm for us in ages. I remember being in an advisory, but ended up with 5-7".

Late January 2015 "Juno": I think it was a Miller B. Obviously that didn't do much good for us.

That's what I could think of. If you have any more storms, feel free to add them. If I'm wrong about any of these being Miller Bs, feel free to correct me. I wasn't sure about some of the recent HECS, though I think they were mostly hybrids.

10 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

3/6/13?

1/11/11?

I could be wrong on either of these. Neither one ended well for us though.

1/11/11 was another, forgot about that one. I'm not as sure about March 2013, I just remember that one being a fail.

ETA: You're right about that one too. 

20 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I'd be curious if 2/21/11 was a Miller B as well- that's another big bust that's often forgotten about. Regionwide WSW issued only to get shafted at the last minute. Totals were generally better in our region as you moved further northeast.

That one wasn't... as far as I know, it never redeveloped. 

10 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

You left out 12/26/12.  That was a good one for many of us.

Pretty sure 1/27/09 was as well.  Not exactly sure of that date.

Thanks, added both.

Some of those were boundary waves not really miller b storms that just shifted north like the feb storm this year. And splitting Jan 2004 up is cheating imo since it was only one day not 2 and that was one system really but had a big disconnect between the waa and the upper energy. But most of us got 6-8" from that. 

It's almost impossible for a storm that doesn't produce a lot of precip in Georgia, to produce a lot of snow here. Thats why I am still not thrilled with the 18z GFS.  Also I don't want 3/6/13 a to count since we were in the northern screw zone and not the typical southern one.

gfs_apcpn24_us_21.png

Archived