joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active Severe Weather Pattern Beginning Next Week

Jim Martin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow is looking pretty impressive...

Certainly is, across NW/W OK (possibly E TX PH depending on DL location) and into S KS. 00Z NAM is impressive across this area as soon as 18Z, and is great past 21Z and into 00Z. Here is a sounding in NW OK tomorrow at 21Z. LCLs are incredibly low, BL-moisture quality is top-tier, low-level CAPE is top-tier, low-level directional shear is quite impressive, and deep-layer shear is sufficient and oriented favorably to the boundary. I like it. Seems like a recipe for ground scrapers. Probably HP-mode too.

Tuesday looks similar to Monday, just a bit less intense with its parameters for Monday, largely because of lesser wind-fields. Still could be interesting on Tuesday in KS. Wednesday looks conditionally significant along much of the Dryline, but especially in Kansas. Conditional on CI actually occurring.

00_NAM_021_36.41,-99.07_severe_ml.png

WRF-ARW actually did pretty great today. Basically nailed the intense supercell near Big Spring, TX, as well as the nice supercell in the N TX PH, and the beast supercell in SW KS. Was not super crazy dead on like these hi-res cams can be, but it got the general performance of today correct. Not doing good at all with current MCSs though.

One thing I've learned looking at Plains setups is that the day before the main trough ejection (i.e. Wednesday on the GFS) can often result in much bigger things than the actual one itself. Rather subtle forcing with a modest cap (somewhat like today) with pretty reasonable mid level flow and strong veering with height in the lowest 3 km is a recipe for something big potentially.

One thing I've learned looking at Plains setups is that the day before the main trough ejection (i.e. Wednesday on the GFS) can often result in much bigger things than the actual one itself. Rather subtle forcing with a modest cap (somewhat like today) with pretty reasonable mid level flow and strong veering with height in the lowest 3 km is a recipe for something big potentially.

Seems like the type of days you mentioned-- and what Wednesday will be, usually resulted in about one insane supercell. Nothing more usually, it seems, but just one intense cyclic supercell. That pseudo triple-point in KS on Wednesday looks like the perfect spot. And my oh my does it look potent. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Bennington tornado occur in a similar setup/situation?

NSSL-WRF has some pretty slow moving supercells tomorrow. Like Jo mentioned, we could see some pretty impressive content from chasers tomorrow. Hopefully everything stay out in the fields. 

Kind of a misleading image here since it is catching some of the UH streaks from tonight's storms. The 1 hr frames later on are extremely impressive though, nonetheless.

Definitely going to be driving south to either Garden City or DDC late tomorrow morning, probably will get lunch, then re-evaluate.

00Z GFS looks big for Thursday... Wind fields are quite tremendous all around. Very impressive and widespread LLJ (35-50kt) as early as 21Z with a 994mb sfc-low over SW KS at 00Z, with the 50-60kt SWLY mid-level jet punching into the warm sector by 00Z. SPC went for a fairly large 30% area on D4 (Thursday) from C KS southward through W/C OK and into NC TX. Including OKC/ICT/I-35 corridor. Classic look to the SFC low location, as well as the shortwave timing. VBV sig does show up above 500mb, which might/probably will be the fly in the ointment for this day, but we'll see. VBV is not as much of a problem south in OK as it is north in KS on this run.

ECMWF is much less enthusiastic and is slower with the ejection.

Well now, that's quite a change in the SPC's D1 Outlook:

...KS TO ERN NEB/WRN IA AND MN...
AN EXPANSIVE COLD POOL HAS BEEN PRODUCED BY THE OVERNIGHT CONVECTION
ACROSS OK/N TX...AND ADDITIONAL CONVECTION IS FORMING FARTHER N
ACROSS ERN KS IN ASSOCIATION WITH A MIDLEVEL WAVE THAT MAY HAVE BEEN
ENHANCED BY CONVECTION YESTERDAY. STRONG AIR MASS RECOVERY APPEARS
UNLIKELY ACROSS MUCH OF THIS AREA GIVEN THE TIMING/LOCATION OF THE
ONGOING CONVECTION...PLUS THE LINGERING INFLUENCE OF THE LARGE COLD
POOL ACROSS OK. THUS...A MARGINAL HAIL/WIND RISK APPEARS MOST
APPROPRIATE IN THIS OUTLOOK UPDATE.

Well now, that's quite a change in the SPC's D1 Outlook:

...KS TO ERN NEB/WRN IA AND MN...

AN EXPANSIVE COLD POOL HAS BEEN PRODUCED BY THE OVERNIGHT CONVECTION

ACROSS OK/N TX...AND ADDITIONAL CONVECTION IS FORMING FARTHER N

ACROSS ERN KS IN ASSOCIATION WITH A MIDLEVEL WAVE THAT MAY HAVE BEEN

ENHANCED BY CONVECTION YESTERDAY. STRONG AIR MASS RECOVERY APPEARS

UNLIKELY ACROSS MUCH OF THIS AREA GIVEN THE TIMING/LOCATION OF THE

ONGOING CONVECTION...PLUS THE LINGERING INFLUENCE OF THE LARGE COLD

POOL ACROSS OK. THUS...A MARGINAL HAIL/WIND RISK APPEARS MOST

APPROPRIATE IN THIS OUTLOOK UPDATE.

I know you guys think I'm a debbie downer, but this system has had a multitude of issues.  This just adds to that.  If we have more limited airmass recovery today and that damps convection that could make things a bit better tomorrow.  

SRH is still pretty poor over most of the warm sector tomorrow in OK.  In KS its a bit better and in the far eastern TX panhandle there's a bit better helicity values showing up.  Outflow boundaries will be critical...

I would like to add that the NAM paints a better SRH picture for tomorrow over much of OK but some of it is well east of the primary forcing.  The 4k NAM is pretty blah in this regard.  Outflow boundary interaction will almost be a requirement over a good portion of the warm sector tomorrow, otherwise we'll be staring at huge hail and more minimal tornadoes.  

By 10pm SRH picks up so perhaps between 7 and 10pm there will be a bit more substantial tor threat.  The 4KM paints nice supercells just S of I40 in western OK.  There's also some enhanced SRH in the OKC metro late evening 9-11pm so any storms in the area would pose a concern if that pans out.

There will be tors tomorrow but it'll come down to trying to find a boundary, hoping the storms go up and can interact with the boundary.  Otherwise it'll be very hit or miss on finding a cell that produces, unless something significant changes with wind velocities...

I know you guys think I'm a debbie downer, but this system has had a multitude of issues.  This just adds to that.  If we have more limited airmass recovery today and that damps convection that could make things a bit better tomorrow.

You sound like you're speaking from basically only an OK point of view, which is fine. Assuming tomorrow doesn't get screwed by overnight/morning convection, I'm planning on targeting the triple point in S KS. As for today, it does look like air mass recovery is occurring in behind that cold pool. Thinking of setting up somewhere S of DDC.

You sound like you're speaking from basically only an OK point of view, which is fine. Assuming tomorrow doesn't get screwed by overnight/morning convection, I'm planning on targeting the triple point in S KS. As for today, it does look like air mass recovery is occurring in behind that cold pool. Thinking of setting up somewhere S of DDC.

I am speaking for Oklahoma. I am having a lot of accessibility issues this morning and retyping my post for the third time had me in a hurry :/

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0693
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0132 PM CDT MON MAY 23 2016

AREAS AFFECTED...PARTS OF WEST TX

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...TORNADO WATCH LIKELY

VALID 231832Z - 232030Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...95 PERCENT

SUMMARY...ISOLATED TO WIDELY SCATTERED STORMS SHOULD DEVELOP OVER
THE MOUNTAINS OF THE TRANS-PECOS AND EVENTUALLY NORTH-NORTHEAST
ALONG THE DRYLINE. VERY LARGE HAIL WILL BE THE PRIMARY HAZARD...BUT
A COUPLE TORNADIC SUPERCELLS AND ISOLATED SEVERE WINDS WILL BE
POSSIBLE AS WELL.

DISCUSSION...INITIAL HIGH-BASED CB DEVELOPMENT HAS COMMENCED OVER
JEFF DAVIS COUNTY WITH DOWNSTREAM BOUNDARY-LAYER CU ALSO EVIDENT
INTO PECOS COUNTY. THIS SHOULD BE THE CORRIDOR FOR STORM INITIATION
THROUGH 20Z. UNCERTAINTY EXISTS WITH HOW FAR NORTH STORMS WILL
DEVELOP IN THE LATE AFTERNOON OWING TO MINIMAL DRYLINE CU AT THIS
TIME. NEVERTHELESS...WEAKENING INHIBITION AND STRENGTHENING
CONVERGENCE ALONG THE DRYLINE SHOULD FOSTER AT LEAST A COUPLE STORMS
NORTH OF THE HIGH TERRAIN. AIR MASS IS QUITE UNSTABLE WITH MLCAPE OF
3000-4000 J/KG AMID VERY STEEP MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES. A FEW
SUPERCELLS SHOULD FORM WITH VERY LARGE HAIL AS THE MAIN HAZARD.
MODEST LOW-LEVEL INFLOW MAY INITIALLY TEMPER THE TORNADO RISK...BUT
GIVEN THE DEGREE OF BUOYANCY AND SOME STRENGTHENING OF LOW-LEVEL
WINDS TOWARDS EVENING...AN INCREASE IN TORNADO/WIND POTENTIAL IS
ANTICIPATED.

..GRAMS/HART.. 05/23/2016

Looks like solid moisture return into western OK and S KS as well as pretty easy temperature recovery. Cold pool is quickly deteriorating due to insolation and S/SE flow.

Warming nicely along the OK/TX border.  DPs also looking good out west with lots of upper 60s being reported.  I don't know why the site is so unusable today, I suspect it's my connection :(

Warming nicely along the OK/TX border.  DPs also looking good out west with lots of upper 60s being reported.  I don't know why the site is so unusable today, I suspect it's my connection :(

With upper 70s/low 80s temps. Here is the OK Mesonet DP map, 70 becoming pretty prevalent... Looks like two plays for today. The Triple-point farther north in KS, or the OFB in N TX. 

Looks like the storms near ICT have put off a new OFB... Likely will help reinforce the triple point, and also augment the low-level wind profile. 

current.TDEW.grad.png

New MD for W OK/KS, TOR watch just got issued for W TX with 60/30 probs.

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF
WEST TEXAS

* EFFECTIVE THIS MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 230 PM UNTIL
1000 PM CDT.

* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...
A FEW TORNADOES LIKELY WITH A COUPLE INTENSE TORNADOES POSSIBLE
WIDESPREAD LARGE HAIL EXPECTED WITH ISOLATED VERY LARGE HAIL
EVENTS TO 4 INCHES IN DIAMETER LIKELY
SCATTERED DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH POSSIBLE

mcd0695.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0695
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0218 PM CDT MON MAY 23 2016

AREAS AFFECTED...SOUTHWEST KS...EAST TX/OK PANHANDLES...WEST OK

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...TORNADO WATCH LIKELY

VALID 231918Z - 232115Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...95 PERCENT

SUMMARY...ISOLATED SURFACE-BASED STORMS SHOULD INITIATE ALONG THE
DRYLINE AND NEAR A LARGE-SCALE OUTFLOW BOUNDARY. A MODERATE TO
STRONGLY UNSTABLE AIR MASS WILL SUPPORT SUPERCELLS CAPABLE OF
SIGNIFICANT SEVERE HAIL. BACKED SURFACE WINDS NEAR THE BOUNDARIES
SHOULD ALSO FOSTER A RISK FOR A COUPLE TORNADIC SUPERCELLS.

DISCUSSION...19Z SURFACE ANALYSIS PLACED A 1004 MB SURFACE NEAR THE
OK PANHANDLE/SOUTHWEST KS BORDER WITH AN ATTENDANT DRYLINE ARCING
SOUTH ACROSS THE EAST TX PANHANDLE TO THE PERMIAN BASIN. AN OUTFLOW
BOUNDARY WAS EVIDENT ACROSS NORTH-CENTRAL OKLAHOMA INTO
SOUTH-CENTRAL KS...WITH THE NORTH PART OF THIS BOUNDARY SURGING
WEST. INCREASINGLY AGITATED CU HAS BEEN NOTED NEAR THESE BOUNDARIES
AND LINGERING MLCIN SHOULD BECOME MINIMAL IN THE NEXT 1-2 HOURS. AIR
MASS BETWEEN THE DRYLINE AND OUTFLOW ACROSS WEST OK AND THE EAST TX
PANHANDLE IS BECOMING STRONGLY UNSTABLE WITH MLCAPE LIKELY BETWEEN
2500-3500 J/KG GIVEN UPPER 60S TO LOWER 70S SURFACE DEW POINTS.
SUFFICIENT DEEP-LAYER SHEAR FOR SUPERCELLS SHOULD PROMOTE LARGE HAIL
AS THE PRIMARY THREAT. ALTHOUGH LOW-LEVEL WINDS ARE MODEST AT
PRESENT...BACKED SURFACE WINDS /ESPECIALLY NEAR THE OUTFLOW
BOUNDARY/ AND DEGREE OF BUOYANCY SHOULD FAVOR A COUPLE TORNADIC
SUPERCELLS AS WELL.

..GRAMS/HART.. 05/23/2016

Cell north of Memphis, TX really exploded fast, went from nothing to golf-ball sized hail in 30 minutes.  No surprise given SBCAPE of 5000J/KG per 20Z RAP. Looks like quite a number of chasers/teams are going to go ahead and bite on it, and looking at current vis-sat, that might not be a bad move.

Cell north of Memphis, TX really exploded fast, went from nothing to golf-ball sized hail in 30 minutes. No surprise given SBCAPE of 5000J/KG per 20Z RAP. Looks like quite a number of chasers/teams are going to go ahead and bite on it, and looking at current vis-sat, that might not be a bad move.

Yup, definitely getting "that look." Broad rotation and a hook forming. The southernmost severe warned storm in TX looks like it can pop anytime now as well.

Archived