SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb. 14-17th Clipper Systems

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z GEM is weaker and farther north with the wave once it approaches the area and also dampens it much quicker, so result is much different than the GFS. The wave will not move onshore until late Friday night into Saturday morning, so variability in the guidance similar to past few days is probably a good bet until RAOB sampling.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gem has been a mess most of the winter

Comes down to how the wave is handled. If you look at both 12z Euro op and parallel, GEM is more similar to those than GFS/GEFS in that the wave dampens significantly once it reaches here. Also on the GEM and Euro op/parallel, the wave comes ashore sheared/elongated vs. more compact and deeper on the GFS. We'll see if the 00z Euro runs shift to more of a GFS/GEFS like solution. Would be nice to get some snow out of this cold pattern.

Note about models:

here is a GEFS plumes page I found a few days ago

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/cguastini/gefs/EMCGEFSplumes.html

You should be able to zoom in, by double clicking on the map, to just about any ASOS in the country. The zoom feature was working better a few days ago; you could zoom in more. I have no idea why the zoom feature changed functionality.

Note about models:

here is a GEFS plumes page I found a few days ago

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/cguastini/gefs/EMCGEFSplumes.html

You should be able to zoom in, by double clicking on the map, to just about any ASOS in the country. The zoom feature was working better a few days ago; you could zoom in more. I have no idea why the zoom feature changed functionality.

Thanks for that link. Another one for the tool-belt.

Similar setups have followed the rapid dampening path this winter and the look at h5 over the eastern lakes tells me this will be no different.

Though it was during the early January cold snap northern Illinois did eek out a couple 1-3 inch falls as the dampening lows faded to the south. Probably in line for a repeat performance...nothing more.

Though it was during the early January cold snap northern Illinois did eek out a couple 1-3 inch falls as the dampening lows faded to the south. Probably in line for a repeat performance...nothing more.

A DAB to 3" gradient from Geos to the far southwest LOT cwa is a good call.

6z GEFS took a step towards the Euro

this isn't our winter and this isn't a good pattern for snow

Archived