joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter 2015-2016

meatwad

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say the gfs is out to lunch in our area. In it's first 6 hours it barely gives .1 qpf to people agc south, including places like Brownsville and union town. We know that is false because on any gfs run by the time it prints half the first 6 hours have already occurred since 18z is actually 2pm.

In short, I believe the gfs is way off with qpf in our area.

How much do you have so far?

probably about 2" new snow cover only....it stopped for a bit and now started up again-looks like precip shield is north-I talked to my dad in Bethel Park and he said his street is covered-so hoping this thing does well for you guys too!  Looks like we're about to get into a nice heavy burst for a bit.... :snowing:

probably about 2" new snow cover only....it stopped for a bit and now started up again-looks like precip shield is north-I talked to my dad in Bethel Park and he said his street is covered-so hoping this thing does well for you guys too! Looks like we're about to get into a nice heavy burst for a bit.... :snowing:

Yea what I thought. GFS says you should only have about an inch and a half through 8.

Toss the GFS!

I just measured 1.5" here.  Unfortunately we got dry slotted for a bit, and that heavy band moved over us pretty quick before congealing and stalling to our north, which is likely why places not far north of us have higher amounts thus far.  Unfortunate part of those bands is the subsidence on either side.

We'll see how the rest plays out once the coastal actually starts to bomb.  Right now we have split lows over Georgia and Tennessee.

I just measured 1.5" here.  Unfortunately we got dry slotted for a bit, and that heavy band moved over us pretty quick before congealing and stalling to our north, which is likely why places not far north of us have higher amounts thus far.  Unfortunate part of those bands is the subsidence on either side.

We'll see how the rest plays out once the coastal actually starts to bomb.  Right now we have split lows over Georgia and Tennessee.

Too bad I saw how those bands formed just north of you. Then dry slotted right after.  You should be good here on out.

Lol, just thinking the same thing looking at the pressure map.

I guess we have to root for this storm to blow up fast enough, to keep the energy and moisture flowing west of the apps ?

Yep...because that is what the NAM depicts and gfs doesn't. The coastal amps and the ccb throws precip all the way back to us.

Yeah, it's almost like a race against the clock before this whole system gains to much longitude.

It is rare that it happens here, but 2-5-10 did that. We had the initial thump from the primary, then when the storm transferred another deform band set up overnight and crushed us that was associated with the primary.

Archived