• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2015-16 Discussion

OKwx2K4

Strange. Not a drop of rain has fallen and they are already issuing river flood warnings. 

FLOOD WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO
907 PM CST FRI DEC 25 2015

...The National Weather Service in Springfield has issued a Flood
Warning for the following rivers in Missouri...Kansas...

Elk River near Tiff City affecting McDonald County.
Spring River above Baxter Springs affecting Cherokee County.
Spring River at Carthage affecting Jasper County.
Shoal Creek near Joplin affecting Jasper and Newton Counties.
Spring River near Waco affecting Jasper County.

.Heavy rainfall this weekend across southwewst Missouri and southeast
Kansas will cause river levels to rise above flood stage.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange. Not a drop of rain has fallen and they are already issuing river flood warnings. 

FLOOD WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SPRINGFIELD MO

907 PM CST FRI DEC 25 2015

...The National Weather Service in Springfield has issued a Flood

Warning for the following rivers in Missouri...Kansas...

Elk River near Tiff City affecting McDonald County.

Spring River above Baxter Springs affecting Cherokee County.

Spring River at Carthage affecting Jasper County.

Shoal Creek near Joplin affecting Jasper and Newton Counties.

Spring River near Waco affecting Jasper County.

.Heavy rainfall this weekend across southwewst Missouri and southeast

Kansas will cause river levels to rise above flood stage.

Odd, guess that's what happens when they forecast 5-8in of rain.

One thunderstorm has already moved through here this morning. HRRR develops a big line of storms along I-44 by early afternoon. This line pushes very slowly SE by this evening but there might be 4-6" of rain by this evening with more on the way.

Edit: Long range still looks good for colder/cooler air, more seasonable. The models will have the new Texas glacier sticking around through at least the next 15 days.  00z Euro strat maps still have the PV getting it's butt kicked and it's elongated and stretching out.

Both the GEFS and EPS still have the same similar look:

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_61.png

12z GFS continues to spit out unbelievable rainfall totals along the I-44 corridor. Wowzers!

I am concerned.  Our house and neighborhood are on a hill but have several friends in the area and some family that are in the 10+ inch projected swath.  We're only a few miles north of I44 and the risk for flooding is going to be unparalleled these next few days I'm afraid.

I am concerned.  Our house and neighborhood are on a hill but have several friends in the area and some family that are in the 10+ inch projected swath.  We're only a few miles north of I44 and the risk for flooding is going to be unparalleled these next few days I'm afraid.

There's no need to be panicked. Just remember to be prepared and stay informed. Those are the best things we can do. I don't know how those who don't follow the weather can do it. That's just my biased opinion. :)

There's no need to be panicked. Just remember to be prepared and stay informed. Those are the best things we can do. I don't know how those who don't follow the weather can do it. That's just my biased opinion. :)

I'm not panicked just worried about a few friends, one of which has already had water issues this year and it seems this is going to be the worst of the year.  If that's the case it's possible the entire bottom level of their home will be under several inches of water :(

HRRR still says about 4-6" here in the next 15 hours with more to come. Those around Tulsa and Monett and NW AR might want to watch for a bit of severe weather as the warm front is supposed to make it up to the AR/MO border area. Second storm just moved through here and I'm up to 0.70 for the day so far, yard is a pond already.

Already flooding from a big rainfall producing storm. Forecast of 12.5 inches for my area. I think this is going to be worse than our May flood, which is saying a lot. We will certainly break our all time wettest year on record in Ft. Smith.

p168i.gif?1451150327

This just keeps getting worse and worse. Illinois river forecast started at near record levels today. One can only imagine what it would be by Monday/Tuesday.

The Mississippi River is forecasted to crest at levels second only to the flood of 1993. Both the SGF and LSX offices have mentioned the potential for historic floods.

That's very very bad and impressive. Glad this 'typical' el nino is dropping all this rain in California like typical El Niños do. Lol.

What'd the 12Z Euro show for snow?

Moved a tick east. Heaviest snowfall near your area (KC right?) will fall in E NE and Central KS it looks like. Might be quite heavy. KC may get something but it's difficult to tell if it's sleet or snow on the Euro with marginal atmospheric temp setups. 

Moved a tick east. Heaviest snowfall near your area (KC right?) will fall in E NE and Central KS it looks like. Might be quite heavy. KC may get something but it's difficult to tell if it's sleet or snow on the Euro with marginal atmospheric temp setups. 

Okay thanks! And actually I'm just going to be up there with family, I actually live in coffeyville, but I know we have no shot at legit snow.

It's been raining with occasional lightning here in OKC for most of the day. I was out and about for a few hours and there is a LOT of street flooding. So far (and based on the extremely limited scope of my travels), streams do not appear to be flooding just yet, but if the rain keeps coming, that will certainly be next. Temps are dropping pretty steady now, too, but we are just down to 50 F so, if anything frozen is coming our way, it is a long way off. Flooding will be the problem for the near term.

Okay thanks! And actually I'm just going to be up there with family, I actually live in coffeyville, but I know we have no shot at legit snow.

The 12z parallel Euro is a bit farther east than the Euro in KS/MO so KC (especially northern side) is well in 'snow' but it could actually be a mix. Looks close either way.

In the last hour, our temp dropped to 32 F and we went over to moderate sleet on the north side of OKC. There has already been enough sleet to whiten the ground. I haven't been beyond my driveway yet, but my side street already has a layer of slushy sleet on it, too. On the plus side, there has (so far) been minimal freezing rain which ought to increase the likelihood we keep power throughout this mess.

Temp is 31 F with, perhaps, a half inch of sleet on the ground here. We are in a lull at the moment with just some light ice crystals falling. It looks like we have some intermittent heavier showers incoming for the rest of the day and (hopefully) the upper low passing through late tonight into tomorrow. Roads are sleet covered but passable if you take it easy.

EDIT: I just looked at the regional radar and, for you folks in NW Arkansas and SW Missouri, wow! It looks like it is STILL raining heavily with, at minimum, several more hours of rain to go at these same rates. I know some of the models were spitting out 10"+ qpfs but I bet you guys are approaching that now with plenty more to go! Yikes.

Archived