• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2015-16 Discussion

OKwx2K4

Been looking at this since it's determining if I go up north to KS after Christmas for my family's event. That may be canceled at this rate based on this info. But, still some time to go. An incredible amount of snow being dumped in many cases though, which is insane for this part of the country. I am tempted to lie to the wife about how bad it will be just so I can see it. The most snow growing up in Kansas I ever saw was a foot a couple times, both with epic thundersnow. Doesn't look like much ice currently, but surely with this much QPF there will be a big ice storm on the southern end, which would further incline me to stay put in TX.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been looking at this since it's determining if I go up north to KS after Christmas for my family's event. That may be canceled at this rate based on this info. But, still some time to go. An incredible amount of snow being dumped in many cases though, which is insane for this part of the country. I am tempted to lie to the wife about how bad it will be just so I can see it. The most snow growing up in Kansas I ever saw was a foot a couple times, both with epic thundersnow. Doesn't look like much ice currently, but surely with this much QPF there will be a big ice storm on the southern end, which would further incline me to stay put in TX.

Yeah. Unless you're headed to SE Kansas, you may have a problem on your hands.

The track of the 700mb low is key too, usually along and NW of that is where the heavy snow is. Won't take much of a SE shift in the upper low tracks to get good snow into Wichita and Kansas City, maybe even into Oklahoma City. Plenty of time still for that. Someone will likely see 18" or more snow from this if the upper low remains this impressive. Along with plenty of severe on the warm sector of it.

Probably 75-100 or so for the heavier 'band'.

Located just NW of the darker shade of light blue in far SW MO on this map.

Wow. Verbatim that is a 6" to 10" storm in the northwestern half of the OKC metro and 3" to 6" in the southwestern half... and dropping off quickly to the east. Of course, I would assume that even if the track and surface temps did somehow verify (and nobody's betting on the 18z GFS 5 days out) a lot of the precip would be "wasted" on sleet. Still, it is pretty cool having something to track less than a week out.

Aargh, from a NYC snow weenie doing this for waaayyy too long, forget the snow weenie maps (follow the fights in that forum if it ever comes together this winter). Follow the 500mb and 700mb low tracks. Along and NW of the 700mb low track, that's where to expect snow. NW of the 500mb low, expect the heavier snow. And follow the Euro much more than the GFS. Take any run you see with a grain of salt at 72hr or more out, that might be the best lesson. ;)

12z Euro was farther west, and the parallel was even farther west than that. 

You still have a long way to go (96hrs out). I think Lubbock to Dodge City, KS is the best place to be at this juncture, but snow forecasting can be very humbling this far out. What can trend east can trend back west. 

The severe threat down here is probably more clear-cut. 

00z Euro is about 12 hours slower and much farther south than it's 12z run. Seriously, that upper low is camping.  Similar track to the 12z run though, across central OK, just 12 hours later. Tons of rain for our immediate area. Snow back in the TX Panhandle, extreme far west OK and western and part of central KS. Probably some freezing rain or something immediately to the east of that.

I noticed that about the upper low as well. It appears the main difference from the two models is that one fills out the ULL faster (EURO,) while the GFS continues to strengthen the system (down to 537 dM in SE OK at 12z Mon) as it moves northeast. 

gfs_z500_uv_noram_23.png

00z Euro is about 12 hours slower and much farther south than it's 12z run. Seriously, that upper low is camping.  Similar track to the 12z run though, across central OK, just 12 hours later. Tons of rain for our immediate area. Snow back in the TX Panhandle, extreme far west OK and western and part of central KS. Probably some freezing rain or something immediately to the east of that.

Archived