Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country and Canadien/VT Borders Spring 2015

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be busy with a lot of stuff- golf tryouts at the end of August, and a lot of meteorology courses taking up time during the day too. As long as it's active weather I'll be happy!

That's awesome man. Good luck this semester! I am usually on the warm weather and sunny train until Nov 1st. Around that time I like to see really active weather.

I'm back lol.

Had out first Lake Effect rain shower move through here around 5 this morning. Well according to Jim Teske on 9wsyr it was Lake Effect. Beautiful 68 degree's right now with a touch of a cool breeze.

Day's are getting shorter and loving it. This weekend sun up will be after 6 am and next week sun down will before 8pm whoohoooo. Bring on winter.

We had quiet the flash flood last night over here thanks to lake erie! :flood:

11893958_1096547553708265_78378006834659

Was not from Lake Erie. From Buf NWS Facebook:

Mark, in response to your questions this event would probably not be best categorized as lake effect. As is often the case, a lake breeze boundary left over may have provided a focus for convection and some moisture, but temperatures aloft were too warm to result in lake induced instability. It's a common question to convert summertime rain events into snow, but do keep in mind it is much more warmer and moist in the summer than in the winter so these type of precipitation rates would be unrealistic, even for intense lake snows. This said, the standard water equivalent of snow is typically estimated at 10:1. Most research shows it is a bit higher here, and it can vary widely from event to event.

From retired NWS met Steve McLaughlin:

“Impressive storm! From single cell over s niag county at 11 pm to most intense siege of violent storms in several years over buffalo metro by 2 am…whew! Terrific lightning! It’s those subtle boundaries in these humid air masses and warm August lake fueling overnight storms. It’s amazing how mesoscale we are…the lake protects us during daylight hours in summer but watch out in late summer overnights! 2.35″ here in main/n forest area of wmsvl in about 90 minutes 130-300 am. This is the most in a single day in my 4 yrs here. We were all fortunate in that we had been quite dry for several weeks so runoff was fast and few problems left. Now just sunny and steamy”

I'm sure some of you are making the early prediction for winter. Everything I find so far looks at 1957-8 as the best comparable, and comparing it to weather station data I have (I cover Norwich due north to Watertown) it would seem that this is a sound bet;

650x366_08111416_2015-2016-winter-highli

...still too much static in the NMME, CANSIPS, CFSv2, etc., but if 57-8 is the real analog, this is the graphic that'll fit. Bad news for Tug Hill snowmobilers- too much warmth over the lake from a generally zonal pattern, and the temps are somewhat backloaded into JFM, but normal snowfall and temps across CNY generally. Just for fun at this point in the year, of course! :santa:

Oh, I know. Working in analogues is always a 'best fit' exercise, and this year is a tough one, but covering everything from ENSO/SST's through the major tele's down to the QBO, only 57-8 was really 'close'. I still think the evolution of SST's in the North Pacific/development (or not, or where) of the Aleutian low will be decisive, with the strange behavior of the Atlantic (historically, relative to the Pacific) being a wildcard for the coastal (or not) track. 

...tell you the truth; I'm not even sure analogues 'work' anymore! :(

El ninos almost always peak in the fall. There's a three month atmospheric lag to the conditions.

Never knew that thanks! Even during strong El Ninos you can get temperatures like this. Each year has its own identity, it only takes 1 Lake Effect Snowstorm to boost KBufs totals towards normal. Courtesy of Jim Cantore:

nsoNnS8.jpg

Archived