amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Frontogenesis/Baroclinic zone induced snows

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Pearson still reporting -FZDZ but based on the MTO cams it looks like it's snowing in the city. 401 is getting coated.

It's actually pretty decent -SN. If the flake size were bigger I'd say these are SN rates, but since the flakes are so grainy the visibility isn't so bad.

Actually really shocked at the radar returns given what I'm seeing out my window.

Random pockets of -SN or -FZDZ across the GTA. Any banding is AOB 900mb/under the radar beam.

I have happened to stay all snow so far.

Yeah, maybe there's some lake input because 5dbz returns producing 1-1.5SM type snow is pretty unusual.

edit: flow is NE so it seems unlikely it's the lake. Hmmm...who cares. enjoy!

Just talked to my mom. All -FZDZ, no snow in central Etobicoke. She said there's been no new snow accumulation since yesterday. lol, something doesn't add up here.

Based on the OBS I'm getting on twitter, there is a lot of randomness when it comes to P-type this morning due to the very thin/marginal warm layer in place. For example, Kingston has been reporting -FZDZ and -IP all morning. Milton, etobicoke and Donwtown TO have been reporting -ZR but my area has been all -SN.

Have gotten -FZDZ since this morning in Hanover and its been constant. Its a strange type of precip. that I don't know I've seen. It's coating the windows on cars thin of grainy ice. Roads have a strange surface too, looks like white salt is spread everywhere finely.

Yeah, maybe there's some lake input because 5dbz returns producing 1-1.5SM type snow is pretty unusual.

edit: flow is NE so it seems unlikely it's the lake. Hmmm...who cares. enjoy!

Whatever it is, its very rare. Its -10ºC and freezing drizzle? I assumed once you go below -3ºC freezing liquid doesn't occur generally.

Based on the OBS I'm getting on twitter, there is a lot of randomness when it comes to P-type this morning due to the very thin/marginal warm layer in place. For example, Kingston has been reporting -FZDZ and -IP all morning. Milton, etobicoke and Donwtown TO have been reporting -ZR but my area has been all -SN.

Light snow in downtown Toronto at Bay and Bloor.

Have gotten -FZDZ since this morning in Hanover and its been constant. Its a strange type of precip. that I don't know I've seen. It's coating the windows on cars thin of grainy ice. Roads have a strange surface too, looks like white salt is spread everywhere finely.

Whatever it is, its very rare. Its -10ºC and freezing drizzle? I assumed once you go below -3ºC freezing liquid doesn't occur generally.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing on the MTO cams. It looks similar to snowcover but maybe it's not. In any case, we should be switching to snow everywhere soon as the cold air continues to deepen.

Archived