Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
30 Year Anniversary of the 1985 "Cold Wave"

midatlanticweather

Crazy cold record!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_1985_cold_wave

Who remembers and where were you?

9th grade.  Remember it like it was yesterday.  Front moved through on Friday night.  Light snow most of the day Friday, temps in the low 30s, so not a lot of stickage... I was pretty bitter about it.  Back in those days, Woody West did the weather for the local radio stations here and he referenced an ULL that would give us snow that weekend, up to 8" worth!!  Never saw a flake, just puffy cumulus clouds and lots of sun.  Wind was absolutely brutal on Sat.  Temps fell through 0 during the day.  Believe the low Sunday morning was -15F here.  Wind chill forecasts were in excess of -30F.   Saturday I took glasses of water outside and tossed the water into the air to see if I could make it snow.  I was always a weenie, but pretty dumb back then.  I did manage to make our patio pretty hazardous, however.  Can't believe that was 30 years ago.  Thanks for reminding me how old I'm getting.

9th grade.  Remember it like it was yesterday.  Front moved through on Friday night.  Light snow most of the day Friday, temps in the low 30s, so not a lot of stickage... I was pretty bitter about it.  Back in those days, Woody West did the weather for the local radio stations here and he referenced an ULL that would give us snow that weekend, up to 8" worth!!  Never saw a flake, just puffy cumulus clouds and lots of sun.  Wind was absolutely brutal on Sat.  Temps fell through 0 during the day.  Believe the low Sunday morning was -15F here.  Wind chill forecasts were in excess of -30F.   Saturday I took glasses of water outside and tossed the water into the air to see if I could make it snow.  I was always a weenie, but pretty dumb back then.  I did manage to make our patio pretty hazardous, however.  Can't believe that was 30 years ago.  Thanks for reminding me how old I'm getting.

I think you're off by a day...front cleared Sunday at temps dropped all day. Monday am was the record low day.

9th grade. Remember it like it was yesterday. Front moved through on Friday night. Light snow most of the day Friday, temps in the low 30s, so not a lot of stickage... I was pretty bitter about it. Back in those days, Woody West did the weather for the local radio stations here and he referenced an ULL that would give us snow that weekend, up to 8" worth!! Never saw a flake, just puffy cumulus clouds and lots of sun. Wind was absolutely brutal on Sat. Temps fell through 0 during the day. Believe the low Sunday morning was -15F here. Wind chill forecasts were in excess of -30F. Saturday I took glasses of water outside and tossed the water into the air to see if I could make it snow. I was always a weenie, but pretty dumb back then. I did manage to make our patio pretty hazardous, however. Can't believe that was 30 years ago. Thanks for reminding me how old I'm getting.

It was a Saturday night...and I was west of here.

Coldest temps were Monday morning. -26 in SWVA

It killed many shrubs in that area, but it only killed what was above ground. They all had to grow back from the roots.

In Newport News/Hampton VA, we had snow (maybe 4 inches) on Saturday night and early Sunday - then temps dropped hard.  It was Super Bowl Sunday and I drove to my in-laws little house in Hampton to watch the game - 49ers mashed the Dolphins.  Sunday night/Monday morning set records near zero in Tidewater - the coldest temps I ever witnessed while living in that area.  Huge crepe myrtles on the property next to my office suffered badly - lost about 70% of their volume, but survived.

Archived