• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southern MD / Lower Eastern Shore weather discussion

PrinceFrederickWx

I personally don't think the final outcome is anywhere near resolved. There could be more adjustments south, as has been the seasonal trend. Or maybe not. Maybe we get thump then rain. Or maybe we get into ccb action. Who knows at this point, but its way too early to give up all hope.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Lowershoresadness said:

too early to bail but nothing I've seen so far excites me. In a cold winter we need everything to go right. In this winter we would need dumb luck.

You might get some mood flakes down there tomorrow, most mesos have some snow reaching up to Dorchester

34 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

This just has fail written all over it for Southern MD and lower shore.

Not sure if this is really a fail since it was never a setup that would generally (there have been a few exceptions) give us much snow to begin with.  From the models so far today it seems like 1-4" before transition to rain and then maybe a few snow flakes on the backend if we are lucky.  So that is where my bar is set for this one.  I think anything less then that would be a fail so with that low bar we should have good boom potential if the costal  trends southeast more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowtoRain said:

Not sure if this is really a fail since it was never a setup that would generally (there have been a few exceptions) give us much snow to begin with.  From the models so far today it seems like 1-4" before transition to rain and then maybe a few snow flakes on the backend if we are lucky.  So that is where my bar is set for this one.  I think anything less then that would be a fail so with that low bar we should have good boom potential if the costal  trends southeast more.

That's kind of my benchmark for success as well. I'm definitely not buying into the CMC solution. It's just going to be frustrating watching the northern tier with well over a foot while we measure pity inches (I'm thinking of Feb. 2014 for example).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SnowtoRain said:

Euro put out more snow, but the surface temps get to >35 by hr 90 and stay above freezing for most of the remainder of the storm.  Unless I misinterpreted something that is still fairly marginal. 

The progression is good though. I wouldn't take the 2m temps verbatim. Low 40s is one thing, but on the backside within the CCB, even if it shows 34-35 , with 850s below 0c, it would be snowing pretty good. There is no getting around some rain for a time with this one, for any place east of I-95 imo...unless the primary doesn't hang on as long/ coastal low track shifts pretty significantly. Not likely at this range though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

The progression is good though. I wouldn't take the 2m temps verbatim. Low 40s is one thing, but on the backside within the CCB, even if it shows 34-35 , with 850s below 0c, it would be snowing pretty good. There is no getting around some rain for a time with this one, for any place east of I-95 imo...unless the primary doesn't hang on as long/ coastal low track shifts pretty significantly. Not likely at this range though.

IMHO if we're going to do this IMBY, it's gonna have to be the front end thump- that was really the difference between a 2016 HECS and a 2014 fail. I don't put much faith in the backside or the coastal part- 2019 was really the only one I can remember that overperformed on the back end, but that system was further south anyway I believe. 

1 hour ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

IMHO if we're going to do this IMBY, it's gonna have to be the front end thump- that was really the difference between a 2016 HECS and a 2014 fail. I don't put much faith in the backside or the coastal part- 2019 was really the only one I can remember that overperformed on the back end, but that system was further south anyway I believe. 

NAM supports your assessment of the front end thump to light rain to dry slot.  Does not go far enough out to see what the coastal does, but I would guess that with the NAM's evolution that will probably be minor for us.  Again, this is the NAM at the end of its range so obviously many caveats, but the last two storms the NAM did sniff out the general evolution (QPF aside). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SnowtoRain said:

NAM supports your assessment of the front end thump to light rain to dry slot.  Does not go far enough out to see what the coastal does, but I would guess that with the NAM's evolution that will probably be minor for us.  Again, this is the NAM at the end of its range so obviously many caveats, but the last two storms the NAM did sniff out the general evolution (QPF aside). 

Yeah, everyone bashes the NAM at range but in many cases it leads the way in sniffing out problems (the most infamous example being Boxing Day).