• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

0.7" here overnight and this morning.  Looks like the big winner this morning was Chardon with around half a foot.  My "total" since Thursday evening is 1.8".  The trough has appeared to edge back north over the lake and for a time here the best snow is going to be going into extreme NE Cuy/Lake/northern Geauga.  There's another push south with the trough working its way east, it's currently approaching the Lake Erie islands, so that will hopefully get snow into more of Cuyahoga and southern Geauga again early to mid afternoon.  It's still a guess as to where the best snow sets up tonight but I'm thinking Cleveland metro into the primary Snowbelt.  There could be a mesolow or two that each drop a few inches quickly as they come inland tonight, and I really think CLE should go advisory for at least Cuyahoga, Lake, and Geauga for now and possibly expand later.  Someone could still get a warning amount through Monday morning.  Even if the best snow is on the east side tonight everyone should get a burst tomorrow morning as the surface trough finally pushes well south and winds go more north for a time. 

52 minutes ago, OHweather said:

Heavy band in NE Cuyahoga/southern Lake and Geauga again in areas that saw a few inches this morning.  Can't believe CLE hasn't gone to an advisory yet, especially with more coming tonight. 

And there it is....les advisory for cuy Geauga and lake for 2-4 additional. 

Snowing nicely here, but the band has become disorganized. 

CLE extended the advisory through 10AM which is a good call.  The convergence has pushed inland to around 480/422 with NW winds north of it and W winds south of it, along with a somewhat disorganized band of moderate to heavy snow.  This band should continue for a few more hours before possibly lifting north of the approaching shortwave and potential lake induced mesolow later this evening into tonight.  The mesolow track is still less than certain, but the general WNW flow from Lake MI where the upstream bursts of snow and potential catalyst for the low itself suggest it will move in close to Cleveland or just east late tonight.  With steep lapse rates and moisture to around 12-13k feet through the night tonight on forecast soundings, any bands this evening and ahead of the mesolow could produce 1" per hour rates, maybe some local 2" per hour rates if the band organizes at all.  There could be very heavy rates with the mesolow itself in the neighborhood of 2-4" per hour for an hour or two.  Behind the mesolow winds go N and a surface trough slowly pushes through, so this should allow moderate to heavy snow to expand southwest late tonight into Monday morning.  We still have a deep layer of moisture and instability through Monday morning, and although the flow is between NW and N it is light and very well aligned, meaning I expected decent snows to continue in the Cleveland metro and primary and secondary snowbelt down towards Akron through Monday morning with a possible brief Huron connection as well.

All told I expect a widespread 2-5" of snow from parts of Lorain and Medina Counties east through the Snowbelt tonight.  A corridor of 6-10" is possible if the mesolow develops and tracks across parts of the area with a period of enhanced rates. 

1 hour ago, OHweather said:

Got about an inch in 20 minutes in Solon a little bit ago. Really came down 

Ya heavy snow and large dendrites....Haven't seen that in a while.  It's a winter wonderland out there 

Additional 1.25 since last measurement.   4.25 for the  day.

Posting this for posterity.  Wow, this is going to be an event places along the western lakeshore into Downtown will reference as a event that's great for that area.  Band isn't moving and is intensifying over western Lake Erie.  There could be a foot of snow in parts of northern Cuyahoga by morning. 

gre 1-30.png

18 minutes ago, OHweather said:

Posting this for posterity.  Wow, this is going to be an event places along the western lakeshore into Downtown will reference as a event that's great for that area.  Band isn't moving and is intensifying over western Lake Erie.  There could be a foot of snow in parts of northern Cuyahoga by morning. 

gre 1-30.png

at 10 inches in ohio city. and getting heavier

2 hours ago, dta1984 said:

9" here overnight.   One of the better storms we have had in a while.  Event total since thurs running at 16". 

NEOH. ...I was kidding about our bullseye with you being out of town....but maybe there's something to it??  Haha

Congrats on the snow! I should leave town more often. I'm out west with nothing but blue skies and mild temps. Can't believe I missed this one.

Another band of moderate snow just started up here 1mi south of Chagrin Falls. I'd say easy 12" on our deck right now. I woke up earlier this morning at around 5:30am and it was howling outside, very heavy snow. 

It always seems the events that aren't programmed to become the ones that overperform.

14 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Congrats on the snow! I should leave town more often. I'm out west with nothing but blue skies and mild temps. Can't believe I missed this one.

Haha!  It was definitely a fun event.  Pretty good spread the wealth too of 10"+ I imagine.   

Little more snow tonight looks like.  Winter trying to make a comeback. 

There were some warning signs that this could be a good event but it definitely blew my doors off when it came together as perfectly as it did.  The last little bit of that big squall earlier and occasional snow showers since then have pushed me to 5.1" since yesterday afternoon and 6.9" since Thursday evening so far. 

1 hour ago, dta1984 said:

Haha!  It was definitely a fun event.  Pretty good spread the wealth too of 10"+ I imagine.   

Little more snow tonight looks like.  Winter trying to make a comeback. 

What's your total so far? Since you live so close I'll just use yours. I don't get back in town until Thursday night... what a bummer.

1 hour ago, OHweather said:

Hopefully Trent was around for this...band looked to be locked right over him for a few hours and a couple of lightning strikes showed up around 5am too. 

I was out of town yesterday and today.  Talk about terrible luck. 

53 minutes ago, Trent said:

I was out of town yesterday and today.  Talk about terrible luck. 

Wow no kidding. Wonder if you would've cracked a foot or not.

Advisory out for 3-6" with the clipper tonight into tomorrow. We will see what happens. Heaviest should be east of Cleveland and Akron.