• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
So, I rode out Fay 20 miles off of Bermuda on the Norwegian Dawn...

Hambone

And it was not a tropical storm.  The

ship's anemometer was showing 95-105knots for two hours and 80-90 knots for several hours more.  Force 12 winds.  Seas were running 15-20 ft and we were in a forward facing suite with large deck looking over the bow of the ship, into the teeth of the storm.  I've been through a few hurricanes in my time, but nothing compares to being out in the open ocean.  My wife has dodgy knees and had a very hard time negotiating the room.  Major rocking and rolling even in a 1000 ft long ship.  Once on island there was significant damage.  Large portions were without power for several days and there were many trees down and limbs damaged.  Roofs were ripped off of buildings.  Public transport was suspended. Speaking to several several Bermudians, the highest winds reported on island were 103 mph.... They all referred back to Fabian... now it looks like they've gone from bad to worse.  Wonderful people, I hope they make it through all right.  We're headed back (by air this time) in May.... I hope.IMG_1280.MOV

And it was not a tropical storm. Ther ship's anemometer was showing 95-105knots for two hours and 80-90 knots for several hours more. Force 12 winds. Seas were running 15-20 ft and we were in a forward facing suite with large deck looking over the bow of the ship, into the teeth of the storm. I've been through a few hurricanes in my time, but nothing compares to being out in the open ocean. My wife has a couple of dodgy knees and had a very hard time negotiating the room. Major rocking and rolling even in a 1000 ft long ship. Once on island there was significant damage. Large portions of the island were without power for several days and there were many trees down and limbs damaged. Speaking to several several Bermuians, the highest winds reported on island were 103 mph.... They all referred back to Fabian... now it looks like they've gone from bad to worse. Wonderful people, I hope they make it through all right. We're headed back (by air this time) in May.... I hope. IMG_1280.MOV

wow,great stuff up close and personal, the ships report a should go to NWS for the reanalysis stuff.

As we departed The Dawn yesterday they told us it was diverting to Nassau for this trip.  Early reports from Bermuda sound somewhat encouraging.  Power is out to the entire island, unlike Fay which only knocked out about half of the island, but no reports of deaths or serious injury.

Archived