• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raifu
    Newest Member
    Raifu

Almost time to get mater seeds planted in the green house!  I've used florescent tubes in the past but I'm gonna try to find some cheap LED lights on Amazon this go around.  Planning to go probably 2/3rds Cherokee Purples and 1/3rd Pink Brandywines.  The Purples seem to be more disease resistant at my location.  Last year the Brandywines got that yellow blight and never did really recover properly.  I'll supplement the seedlings with some other purchased plants from Lowes but I'm aiming for 100 or more in the ground this year.

:guitar:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Stovepipe said:

Almost time to get mater seeds planted in the green house!  I've used florescent tubes in the past but I'm gonna try to find some cheap LED lights on Amazon this go around.  Planning to go probably 2/3rds Cherokee Purples and 1/3rd Pink Brandywines.  The Purples seem to be more disease resistant at my location.  Last year the Brandywines got that yellow blight and never did really recover properly.  I'll supplement the seedlings with some other purchased plants from Lowes but I'm aiming for 100 or more in the ground this year.

:guitar:

I love the Cherokee Purples.  I haven't been able to put out a garden for the last 2 years but if I get a chance to grow a few tomatoes this year, Cherokee Purples it is.

@Stovepipe, my garden remained fallow this year.  Going to plant a fall cover crop which I have not done prior.  Going to roll with a mix and see how it works.  Likely will order some garlic as well...was awesome a couple of years ago.  Here is what I am using...thoughts?  Hey, and how has your gradient been this summer.  I am glad to not be watering through this heat!

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/farm-seed/cover-crop-mixes/fall-green-manure/fall-green-manure-mix-cover-crop-seed-2613.36.html

Probably going to add some fall salad stuff and definitely some garlic.  

2 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

@Stovepipe, my garden remained fallow this year.  Going to plant a fall cover crop which I have not done prior.  Going to roll with a mix and see how it works.  Likely will order some garlic as well...was awesome a couple of years ago.  Here is what I am using...thoughts?  Hey, and how has your gradient been this summer.  I am glad to not be watering through this heat!

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/farm-seed/cover-crop-mixes/fall-green-manure/fall-green-manure-mix-cover-crop-seed-2613.36.html

Probably going to add some fall salad stuff and definitely some garlic.  

That cover crop mix looks pretty good.  Hairy Vetch is very good for the soil but can be sort of hard to get rid of.  If you plan on tilling the area up next spring then probably not an issue.  My main mix for the cool season this year will be turnips and winter rye.  I'll dress crimson clover around berry bushes and fruit trees.

Right now I've got sunn hemp that is 10 to 12 feet high and growing.  It is one hell of a biomass producer and will make a large amount of compost.  I put 120 mater plants in the ground this year, staggered over several weeks.  Yield has been overwhelming.  I've canned until I'm sick of it and am giving them away now.  Next year I'll be scaling those back in a big way. 

I've decided to go all in on CBD hemp.  Got my license and several clones already growing indoors.  Planning several hundred plants outdoors next season growing in compost made from cover crop.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Stovepipe said:

That cover crop mix looks pretty good.  Hairy Vetch is very good for the soil but can be sort of hard to get rid of.  If you plan on tilling the area up next spring then probably not an issue.  My main mix for the cool season this year will be turnips and winter rye.  I'll dress crimson clover around berry bushes and fruit trees.

Right now I've got sunn hemp that is 10 to 12 feet high and growing.  It is one hell of a biomass producer and will make a large amount of compost.  I put 120 mater plants in the ground this year, staggered over several weeks.  Yield has been overwhelming.  I've canned until I'm sick of it and am giving them away now.  Next year I'll be scaling those back in a big way. 

I've decided to go all in on CBD hemp.  Got my license and several clones already growing indoors.  Planning several hundred plants outdoors next season growing in compost made from cover crop.

Yeah, I was worried about that vetch...I already have it in my garden anyway!   LOL.  120!?  Wow.  I assume you are hosting the TN Valley Wx Spaghetti dinner with that much tomato action!  Keep us updated on the hemp situation.  How do you market that?  I am assuming that is the for the oil which is a big time product right now.  Hey, at least you won't have to can all that hemp.   Definitely going to need a pic of 10-12 foot plants!  

16 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Yeah, I was worried about that vetch...I already have it in my garden anyway!   LOL.  120!?  Wow.  I assume you are hosting the TN Valley Wx Spaghetti dinner with that much tomato action!  Keep us updated on the hemp situation.  How do you market that?  I am assuming that is the for the oil which is a big time product right now.  Hey, at least you won't have to can all that hemp.   Definitely going to need a pic of 10-12 foot plants!  

I can't compete in the extract market where people are growing 100's of acres.  My niche will be trimmed smokable flower to be sold from smaller shops.  It remains to be seen how profitable it will be but I'm going to find out.

Here's some pics of the warm season cover crop which is mostly sunn hemp taken last week.

x1JniuE.jpg

XzR61FP.jpg

OTabl5u.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stovepipe said:

I can't compete in the extract market where people are growing 100's of acres.  My niche will be trimmed smokable flower to be sold from smaller shops.  It remains to be seen how profitable it will be but I'm going to find out.

Here's some pics of the warm season cover crop which is mostly sunn hemp taken last week.

x1JniuE.jpg

XzR61FP.jpg

OTabl5u.jpg

Impressive and thanks for the information and the share.  That is A LOT of compost volume standing there.  

@Stovepipe, I put my cover crop in the ground on Sunday and it was up on Tuesday morning!!!  36 hour germination rate....I have never seen anything like it.  I think the warm ground temps and steady rain in combination were just about perfect.  Some of the stuff(whatever is in the grass family in that mix) today is ~2" out to the ground.  

Cover crop consisting of rye, winter wrye, winter peas, crimson clover, and vetch are growing like they are on steroids.  Probably will turn that under in December or very early spring.  Mustard greens are up.  That stuff has some pop(spicy).  I am also trying some Pak Choi this fall.  It is purple and green.  I am a big fan of William Woys Weaver who is known as someone trying to preserve heirlooms with great taste.  My fall lettuce is from his collection at Baker's Heirloom seeds.  Hopefully the cool weather stuff doesn't fry this week in the heat.  When all of that is harvested later during the fall, I will plant those rows with winter wheat.  Trying to get the soil ready for next spring as it has been fallow for twelve months.  

Glad to hear your cover crop is off to a good start Carvers!

One nice thing about this friggin heat, I may still be harvesting maters in November.  I'm also going to try to get several auto flowering hemp plants done before frost.  Seedlings just coming up now.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 4:11 PM, Stovepipe said:

Glad to hear your cover crop is off to a good start Carvers!

One nice thing about this friggin heat, I may still be harvesting maters in November.  I'm also going to try to get several auto flowering hemp plants done before frost.  Seedlings just coming up now.

You should be good to go.  I am kicking myself for not putting out a late season crop of beans.  They would be loving this weather.  My cool weather crops are doing OK despite the record heat.  Maybe the days getting shorter and longer nights is giving them just enough of a break.