joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Heavy rain/Storm event 5/15/14

Solak

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
 VALID 152224Z - 160000Z   THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 157   CONTINUES.   SUMMARY...AN ISOLATED SEVERE THREAT WILL LIKELY CONTINUE FOR A   COUPLE MORE HOURS ACROSS WW 157. A BRIEF TORNADO AND WIND DAMAGE MAY   BE POSSIBLE WITH THE MORE ORGANIZED ROTATING STORMS. AS THE   EXPIRATION OF WW 157 APPROACHES AT 00Z...A LOCAL EXTENSION MAY BE   NEEDED ACROSS PARTS OF THE WATCH.   DISCUSSION...LATEST SFC ANALYSIS SHOWS A 1010 MB LOW OVER NRN SC   WITH A COLD FRONT EXTENDING NWD ACROSS WRN NC AND WRN VA. TO THE   EAST OF THE BOUNDARY...SFC DEWPOINTS RANGE FROM THE MID 60S F TO THE   LOWER 70S F WITH MLCAPE ESTIMATED IN THE 500 TO 1000 J/KG RANGE. IN   ADDITION...THE LATEST WSR-88D VWP AT RALEIGH NC SHOWS 40 KT OF   DEEP-LAYER SHEAR WITH 0-1 KM SHEAR NEAR 35 KT. THIS SHEAR   ENVIRONMENT WITH 0-3 KM STORM RELATIVE HELICITY AROUND 275 M2/S2   SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT FOR STORM ROTATION. A BRIEF TORNADO CAN NOT BE   RULED OUT WITH ROTATING STORMS THAT FORM ALONG THE ERN EDGE OF AN   EXPANSIVE AREA OF RAIN....OR FURTHER WEST WITH CELLS EMBEDDED IN THE   RAIN. WIND DAMAGE WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE WITH ROTATING STORMS AND OR   SHORT BOWING LINE SEGMENTS.   ..BROYLES/EDWARDS.. 05/15/2014

mcd0612.gif

Great to see the large precip coverage over the SE. This is the time of year that we either keep getting precip or start to dry out(..which can aid in future heat waves).

Well, we don't need this much rain at once. That is why I never understand why people worry so much about rain. It is going to rain eventually, and then we end up getting flooding like we do today. I hope it stays dry a whole after today.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON NC HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTHWESTERN BRUNSWICK COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NORTH CAROLINA

EASTERN HORRY COUNTY IN NORTHEAST SOUTH CAROLINA

SOUTHERN COLUMBUS COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NORTH CAROLINA

* UNTIL 815 PM EDT

* AT 744 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR LITTLE

RIVER...MOVING NORTH AT 30 MPH.

* SOME LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE...

LONGWOOD...

PIREWAY...

BUGHILL...

NAKINA...

Pics on WRAL of Durham damage, trees on (in) houses not cool.....cell heading up to east Raleigh still looks like it is trying to tornado.....crazy setup with these updrafts just popping up in the overall precip field and spinning up really wild day and rainfall totals are going to be huge in much of the triangle.

'Only' 1.67" so far today, and all of it has soaked in. There's no squishy areas in the yard.

That former Benson 'couplet' brought us a little bit of gustiness, but nothing worse than what we've had all day.

I'm really surprised that I haven't heard any hint of thunder today, despite all this tropical moisture.

Pics on WRAL of Durham damage, trees on (in) houses not cool.....cell heading up to east Raleigh still looks like it is trying to tornado.....crazy setup with these updrafts just popping up in the overall precip field and spinning up really wild day and rainfall totals are going to be huge in much of the triangle.

Yeah its incredible.  As soon as the updraft gets going good its seems rain interferes and inhibit growth cutting off the updraft.  Not a bad thing for the people of Central and Eastern NC though.

Well, we don't need this much rain at once. That is why I never understand why people worry so much about rain. It is going to rain eventually, and then we end up getting flooding like we do today. I hope it stays dry a whole after today.

Well, you must have forgotten about the 2010-13 drought for the SE. I prefer lots of rain then waking up to significant amounts of smoke in the morning. Then during the day it starts raining ashes. That happened the majority of the summer of 2011 here.

I would prefer what happened today over the disaster in California right now.

Well, you must have forgotten about the 2010-13 drought for the SE. I prefer lots of rain then waking up to significant amounts of smoke in the morning. Then during the day it starts raining ashes. That happened the majority of the summer of 2011 here.

I would prefer what happened today over the disaster in California right now.

How often does that happen here versus getting flooding?

Archived