Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
****CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT****

stormtracker

Members,

After skipping last year, we are proud to announce that we will be having a Conference this year.   Details are here

Some highlights:

We decided to keep the keynote dinner this year and there is a meet and greet reception with food.  Paul Kocin will be at the reception to do book signings and a small presentation.  We felt it provided a great opportunity to unwind and meet your fellow board members.  It’s a tradition we didn’t want to break.   So while the conference fee may seem a bit high, just remember that there’s a pretty nice dinner in there.   

Also, room rates this year INCLUDE wifi.  Yay!

We are still filling in our speaker list, so bear with us.  Also, the hotel reservation link will not be active until this Friday sometime.   We hope to have everything finalized by the end of February.

If there are any weather related companies that would like to purchase a sponsorship, please let us know by either emailing me ([email protected]) or via PM.  

Finally, we’d love to see a cross section of our members attend.   Regional representation would be a great thing.  All of you western and mid western folks, come on out!  Flights to BWI are pretty cheap!

Hope to see our regulars and lots of new members there!

Woo hoo!! AmWx Conference is on. The world is right again. So psyched to reunite with y'all. :)

WOO HOO!!!!  SOOO EXCITED!!!  Can't WAIT to see all the peeps (old and new!!!)!!!!!!!  So happy!!!!!   :thumbsup:  :D

I'm scheduled for mid shifts, but will be taking my vacation that week to go!!!!  

Currently working on a poster with a comparison of the New England Blizzard of 1978 and Blizzard of 2013 for a conference at my alma mater (Lyndon State) in March.  If you'd like, I'll bring this along! :snowwindow:

Already planning....

--Turtle  

• 1 month later...

I am NOT attending because the time/value ratio is far over 1/1.

WHY have all those breaks?

Because sitting around all day and listening to a handful of people talk isn't the sole objective of the conference. The free time gives us the opportunity to interact with the community face-to-face so that we aren't just screen names behind a computer screen anymore. This general formula has worked well in the past, and the names and number of the speakers shouldn't be the only reason to go to the conference.

Because sitting around all day and listening to a handful of people talk isn't the sole objective of the conference. The free time gives us the opportunity to interact with the community face-to-face so that we aren't just screen names behind a computer screen anymore. This general formula has worked well in the past, and the names and number of the speakers shouldn't be the only reason to go to the conference.

It's the AmericanWX conference, it only makes sense that we have some time to mingle and socialize. Aside from occasional get-togethers, many of us rarely or never get the opportunity to see each other in person.

I've been part of many conferences and I feel that the most effective ones have a good balance of watching/listening and interacting. Considering it starts at 11 and won't be over until 8:30, I think the two hour lunch is fine. The other option in my view would be to have multiple shorter breaks, but that limits the time that board members and speakers can interact.

Archived