northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February General Model/Pattern Discussion Thread

NJwinter23

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At some point in the pretty far future, the moon will be so far out away from the Earth it will have little affect on the tides or anything

WAY OT.  And when it does it will effect everything as in most species on the planet will have long since perished. Moon controls length of day, the wobble at 23 1/2 degrees are basically the seasons.

As for the modeled cold and pending threats just going to have to wait and see how it shakes out and sets up. Looking mighty fine in the year of anyway it could snow it will snow.       

Jerry check out the point and click for a place like Duluth, just wow. As deep a winter as seen in decades up there. The pattern reloaded and has major staying power.

Duluth broke their all time record for most days below zero already in the winter. They are just about guaranteed to add onto that total too. Pretty sick winter there.

60 days below zero in Duluth so far this winter and counting. That breaks the old record of 59 set in 1958-1959, 1916-1917, and 1874-1875. They have a long record book which makes it more impressive.

I was going to ask how long their records go back. Like you say, with records going back to 1874 a record such as this one in that location...wow. Thanks for the info ORH. 

I was going to ask how long their records go back. Like you say, with records going back to 1874 a record such as this one in that location...wow. Thanks for the info ORH. 

Yep, one for the ages up there...snowfall currently at 71.9" too which is 10" above average and they are expecting another 6-10" tonight with currently heavy snow falling. 

Not hearing about anyone saying "its too cold to snow" up on those parts this winter. A Ginxy dead sea scroll special there this winter.

Yep, one for the ages up there...snowfall currently at 71.9" too which is 10" above average and they are expecting another 6-10" tonight with currently heavy snow falling. 

Not hearing about anyone saying "its too cold to snow" up on those parts this winter. A Ginxy dead sea scroll special there this winter.

With the snowfall to go with it. Amazing.

Very special winter in those parts. Do you happen to know where they rank right now for snowfall this season? I was looking for it but I cannot locate that data. 

HDD departures from July 1st across the nation are strongly positive. No wonder my propane bill is off the hook. Oil expensive, gas expensive, electricity expensive, Paying for a great winter Priceless :-!

Going back to August 1st...its been a very different story versus the previous year across the CONUS. It started with the huge shift in the N PAC pattern to the EPO ridge which has essentially been dominant since then.

cd71_233_30_68_50_22_7_55_prcp.png

Utky_Iic_WF2.png

The composite will be even a bit colder once February's numbers are included.

Haven't checked the other climo sites, but I know February will be the 6th below average month at ORH out of the past 7 going back to August. Only October was above average. PAC has ruled the roost since then.

6/7 except Oct in ORH, Pretty nice. 

Things can change, but it sure looks like March is going to make it 7 out of 8. Hard to see March being above average in our region right now...but again, who knows if the 2nd half of the month throws us for a loop to erase the early month.

March has the markets on edge because of the nat gas issues and propane. This next cold shot should do some damage.

I was just musing about the Duluth stats...and right now guidance has like 9 days in a row below zero in Duluth starting on Sunday. :lol:

Talk about obliterating a record. They have a good chance to make 70 days below zero this winter.

I was just musing about the Duluth stats...and right now guidance has like 9 days in a row below zero in Duluth starting on Sunday. :lol:

Talk about obliterating a record. They have a good chance to make 70 days below zero this winter.

That just doesn't seem right lol. Right in the sense of it being so brutal. I'm not sure I ever recall 480 thicknesses into the US near March 1st, but it may happen.

Things can change, but it sure looks like March is going to make it 7 out of 8. Hard to see March being above average in our region right now...but again, who knows if the 2nd half of the month throws us for a loop to erase the early month.

At the very least, perhaps a March that is somewhat normal instead of crazy warmth. I like 70 plus degrees like most but when that happens, especially in the first half of March, it throws me off. First half looks cold. Nice to see that signal from where we are standing. Def. has not been the case more often than not for the Month of March. Early March 2007 was some pretty wicked cold.

That just doesn't seem right lol. Right in the sense of it being so brutal. I'm not sure I ever recall 480 thicknesses into the US near March 1st, but it may happen.

The guidance is pretty much right on the record line for 850 temps at many stations up in the N plains/N Lakes...its pretty crazy.

One more dead sea scroll Duluth tidbit. Their average temp through yesterday was 3.3F on the winter...the coldest winter on record there is 3.6F in 1874-1875. The average will go up the next couple days, but incredibly, the guidance actually obliterates those next two days in the following 6 days...so if guidance is correct, Duluth will set a new record for coldest winter all time. We'll see what happens, it will be close. :lol:

With the periodocity of new and old moons and the time spam of days on either side of the event, it becomes the same logic the the farmers almanac uses for window of events. Voodoo.

So... there are 3 day windows on either side of the new or full moon, and within those windows, mostly well within, cluster a large percentage of the most noted tempests in New England history dating back to the pilgrims. Past, present and future new and full moon times can be calculated precisely, so that's not an issue.

Now if charged with forecasting the weather, I would most certainly take into account such clustering despite the current lack of a logical explanation, keeping in mind yesterday's pseudo science can become today's dogma. Mr. Wegener and his theory of plate tectonics were widely ridiculed within my lifetime. Today, that's dogma.

So, being admonished to get real on this issue of moon/storm connection comes across as a bit patronizing and small minded, especially because you provide so much good and valued insight into the never ending meteorological parade here. Reality is never in stasis, as even the Catholic church admitted in its long overdue 1992 apology to Galileo. His "herecy" proclamation of the earth circling the sun got him placed on permanent house arrest back in the day. The scientific method does as much as any other discipline to reveal new perspectives of "the real". But sometimes the "Voodoo-ologists" are out in front and there can be wisdom in paying them heed until science catches up.

(And no, our ancesters didn't get amnesia on other than full moon storms. Whenever they occurred, they became indelible memories engrained in the historical record because these storms kicked the stuffing out of them)

The guidance is pretty much right on the record line for 850 temps at many stations up in the N plains/N Lakes...its pretty crazy.

One more dead sea scroll Duluth tidbit. Their average temp through yesterday was 3.3F on the winter...the coldest winter on record there is 3.6F in 1874-1875. The average will go up the next couple days, but incredibly, the guidance actually obliterates those next two days in the following 6 days...so if guidance is correct, Duluth will set a new record for coldest winter all time. We'll see what happens, it will be close. :lol:

If Duluth sets that record, impressive is the very least one can say.

So... there are 3 day windows on either side of the new or full moon, and within those windows, mostly well within, cluster a large percentage of the most noted tempests in New England history dating back to the pilgrims. Past, present and future new and full moon times can be calculated precisely, so that's not an issue.

Now if charged with forecasting the weather, I would most certainly take into account such clustering despite the current lack of a logical explanation, keeping in mind yesterday's pseudo science can become today's dogma. Mr. Wegener and his theory of plate tectonics were widely ridiculed within my lifetime. Today, that's dogma.

So, being admonished to get real on this issue of moon/storm connection comes across as a bit patronizing and small minded, especially because you provide so much good and valued insight into the never ending meteorological parade here. Reality is never in stasis, as even the Catholic church admitted in its long overdue 1992 apology to Galileo. His "herecy" proclamation of the earth circling the sun got him placed on permanent house arrest back in the day. The scientific method does as much as any other discipline to reveal new perspectives of "the real". But sometimes the "Voodoo-ologists" are out in front and there can be wisdom in paying them heed until science catches up.

(And no, our ancesters didn't get amnesia on other than full moon storms. Whenever they occurred, they became indelible memories engrained in the historical record because these storms kicked the stuffing out of them)

very well stated.

Duluth hasn't had a top 15 coldest winter on record since 1993-1994....getting #1 all time in 2013-2014 would be sick. This year is already a lock for top 5.

Yes they have had it "easy" one could say the last 20 years or so. Remarkable temps in 13/14 for them. I was there once many yrs ago during a January in an average winter and spent 7yrs in NE VT. What Duluth has had up there this year puts the rest all in perspective. 

Yes they have had it "easy" one could say the last 20 years or so. Remarkable temps in 13/14 for them. I was there once many yrs ago during a January in an average winter and spent 7yrs in NE VT. What Duluth has had up there this year puts the rest all in perspective. 

Closer to our area, ORH had a top 15 coldest winter as recently as 2002-2003...1993-1994 was a top ten coldest. 1917-1918 was the coldest on record....1976-1977 and 1903-1904 are tied for 2nd coldest and then 1969-1970 is 4th. 1993-1994 was 8th coldest.

We won't get anything close to top 15 this year. Though probably top 30.

Archived