joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PHL 6 inch storms

famartin

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell me about it! Imagine growing up exposed to 1960-1967 and that's your "normal". Actually out here in the burbs (when it used to snow more than it does in Philly, and I'm talking NW Delco, not further out) there were a few 6" plus snows - Nov. 30th, 1967, Feb. & March 1969 (at least 1 nor'easter of varying intensity per week at one point), and again in Dec. 1969, Christmas night. But 1970 through even 1977 (which was "the cold winter" but no big snows) was the pits for snow around here. 1977-78 was "the return of the nor'easter" :) .

I came of age in that exact time frame a few miles north and east of PHL in New Jersey.  I was an infant for the 12/24/66 storm so I have no memory of that.  As a result, from my earliest memories until the age of 12, I only experienced two 6" storms and the usual smattering of flizzards and snow-to-rain events that the mid-Atlantic is famous for.  As far as I knew, 6" was as much snow as you could ever see and it only happened with extreme rarity.  Then, of course, 1977-78 happened.  I was already a weenie by that time, but 77-78... and, then, 78-79 right on its heels... turned me into the uber-weenie I am today.   

Some quick analysis of Chester County 6" + storm stats (calendar year analysis - need to go back for seasonal) but there have been 174 snowstorms exceeding 6" in Chester County since 1894. so on average
- 77% of all years reported at least 1 snowstorm exceeding 6"
- 6" Snowstorms by decade 
       - Most 1900-09;1910-19 and 1960-69 (19 storms)
       - The 2000-09 and 1980-89 experience the next greatest with (16 storms)
       - Least 1940's (8); 50's (9) and 70's (9)  

you got 38" on the 12/26/09 storm?

I remember IMBY during 12/26/10 I was getting dry slotted and ChescoPAWXman, or Quakertown Needs Snow was reporting heavy snow and constantly reporting increased measurements.  It was infuriating...while I was receiving rain, so the date might be accurate.

I remember IMBY during 12/26/10 I was getting dry slotted and ChescoPAWXman, or Quakertown Needs Snow was reporting heavy snow and constantly reporting increased measurements.  It was infuriating...while I was receiving rain, so the date might be accurate.

Looked at the PHL dates, and I'm fairly certain he meant 1909, not 2009.

I came of age in that exact time frame a few miles north and east of PHL in New Jersey.  I was an infant for the 12/24/66 storm so I have no memory of that.  As a result, from my earliest memories until the age of 12, I only experienced two 6" storms and the usual smattering of flizzards and snow-to-rain events that the mid-Atlantic is famous for.  As far as I knew, 6" was as much snow as you could ever see and it only happened with extreme rarity.  Then, of course, 1977-78 happened.  I was already a weenie by that time, but 77-78... and, then, 78-79 right on its heels... turned me into the uber-weenie I am today.   

This made me think about the 1st signs of "weenieism" I could remember....I know I was in elementary school, it had been raining and windy, then changed to snow with huge flakes...of course I was looking out the window admiring it. A classmate said to me "Haven't you ever seen snow before?"....lol

I knew big snows were uncommon around here, but wow.  No winter has ever had more than three 6-inch storms.  Pretty startling to look at the figures in this arrangement.  Still waiting to see if there will ever be a 3-foot snowfall in the area.

Also did they really measure 9" for the storm last week? That seems a little generous, no? Or did other local amounts seem to fit that bill?

It really did used to be more common to get more snow north and west of Philadelphia. It was almost a given. It probably still is 90 percent of the time, due to being farther from the coast and higher in elevation, etc. In other words, it hasn't been as bad as it looks, if you were north or west or in between. Except for those "dry spells". I'm not sure about central Jersey, I think you made out okay up that way too (especially last year).

It really did used to be more common to get more snow north and west of Philadelphia. It was almost a given. It probably still is 90 percent of the time, due to being farther from the coast and higher in elevation, etc. In other words, it hasn't been as bad as it looks, if you were north or west or in between. Except for those "dry spells". I'm not sure about central Jersey, I think you made out okay up that way too (especially last year).

6" X 3 is fairly common above Philly and north of the 40th parallel. Last year I had three 6"+ events. 11/7 - 13", 2/7 - 8.2" and 3/7 - 6.5" it like to snow on the 7th last year.

6" X 3 is fairly common above Philly and north of the 40th parallel. Last year I had three 6"+ events. 11/7 - 13", 2/7 - 8.2" and 3/7 - 6.5" it like to snow on the 7th last year.

If I'm bored enough I'll make a similar list for Allentown.  Probably not tonight, though.

umm zero 6" snow events here last year biggest was 4" 

this year philly has me beat 2:1 

Sorry about that 12/26/1909

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boxing day was a relative bust in quakertown with 10" 

I don't think anybody had rain that was a cold storm to the coast. Another one of those 2010ish storms with huge gains going south and east from here, chester probably had 20"

Boxing day was a relative bust in quakertown with 10"

I don't think anybody had rain that was a cold storm to the coast. Another one of those 2010ish storms with huge gains going south and east from here, chester probably had 20"

I guess I have my storms mixed up....I remember getting ready to video record and waiting for it to begin snowing. One of the two I mentioned in the previous post was just ecstatic about the amount of snow they were getting while I was stuck in a wet/rain nothingness. I'll have to check the video dates...I definitely have them mixed up then.

I guess I have my storms mixed up....I remember getting ready to video record and waiting for it to begin snowing. One of the two I mentioned in the previous post was just ecstatic about the amount of snow they were getting while I was stuck in a wet/rain nothingness. I'll have to check the video dates...I definitely have them mixed up then.

I really don't know what storm you could be thinking of.  Unless it was one where there was a brief interlude of rain, which would mean either 2/10/2010, 2/25/2010, or 1/26/2011.  Either that or it wasn't a really big storm.

chester probably had 20"

I doubt that if you're talking about BDB...there was a very sharp cutoff west of Delaware River. We only received ~4 inches in Wilmington DE, and I would think that Chester County, in general, received about the same or slightly less than us.

And I'm nearly certain Violentweatherfan is talking about 2/25/10. I remember it snowing all day here (and raining a bit in the morning), but not accumulating at all, while the Northern and Western suburbs received several inches.

I doubt that if you're talking about BDB...there was a very sharp cutoff west of Delaware River. We only received ~4 inches in Wilmington DE, and I would think that Chester County, in general, received about the same or slightly less than us.

Delaware County totals from Boxing Day

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/storms/12272010.html

...DELAWARE COUNTY...

FOLCROFT 14.0 1235 PM 12/27

CLIFTON HEIGHTS 12.4 1052 AM 12/27

DREXEL HILL 11.3 220 AM 12/27

MEDIA 8.6 931 AM 12/27

RADNOR 6.6 951 AM 12/27

umm zero 6" snow events here last year biggest was 4" 

this year philly has me beat 2:1

Sorry to hear that. The warm air advection event on Dec 8th was very localized. All of the hi-Rez short term guidance had that band forming 35 miles north of Philly 12hrs prior, thus we both were missed. As far as 2012 - 2013 went, it had a wicked snow gradient that Jack potted areas north of 39 and 20 miles east of the Delaware.

Some additional breakdown of all-time "significant >6" (1894 to Present) for Chester County PA

- 35" + - 2 storms (2/14/1899 (45.3") and 12/26/09 (38.0") 

- 20" + storms - 11 times

- 10" to 19" = 62 times

- 8" to 10" = 49 times

- 6" to 8" = 50 times

3/18-21/1958 50" at Morgantown - 30" + at scattered locations in Chester, Lancaster and York counties 

More old snow event discussion - I recall February 1969 as having multiple snow events, the 1st one being the Feb. 9th "Lindsey Storm", from which we got about 5" out in Delco, and another on Feb. 19-20, from a low that backed in off the coast and gave us 8", yet another on Feb. 23rd from which we received 10", and 2 more on March 2nd and 7th from which we received a total of about 6". That's a total of 29", but looking at PHL, while the annual precip. total goes from 3.71" on Feb. 8th to 6.78" on March 10th, and the hourly data shows snow falling at the right times during that period, the most 24 hour snow they list is 0.30". I looked at Paul's Chester County archive, and it lists 5.7" of snow for Feb., and 8.8" for March of that year. Is there any way to get more detailed information that far back? I looked all over for more detailed info locally, including Allentown. About the only other thing I can think of is going to a library and looking up old local newspapers, but I don't think I'm going to do that. Maybe that was a fluke, with the time of year, marginal temps, storm tracks, etc. But it was, IMBY at least, a couple of 6" plus snowfalls in that year.

More old snow event discussion - I recall February 1969 as having multiple snow events, the 1st one being the Feb. 9th "Lindsey Storm", from which we got about 5" out in Delco, and another on Feb. 19-20, from a low that backed in off the coast and gave us 8", yet another on Feb. 23rd from which we received 10", and 2 more on March 2nd and 7th from which we received a total of about 6". That's a total of 29", but looking at PHL, while the annual precip. total goes from 3.71" on Feb. 8th to 6.78" on March 10th, and the hourly data shows snow falling at the right times during that period, the most 24 hour snow they list is 0.30". I looked at Paul's Chester County archive, and it lists 5.7" of snow for Feb., and 8.8" for March of that year. Is there any way to get more detailed information that far back? I looked all over for more detailed info locally, including Allentown. About the only other thing I can think of is going to a library and looking up old local newspapers, but I don't think I'm going to do that. Maybe that was a fluke, with the time of year, marginal temps, storm tracks, etc. But it was, IMBY at least, a couple of 6" plus snowfalls in that year.

Lindsey Storm - PHL had 2.9", but it melted very quickly... 7AM snow depth never was more than a trace on the days around/following it.  Very marginal temps it would appear. 

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPHL/1969/2/9/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA&theprefset=SHOWMETAR&theprefvalue=1

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPHL/1969/2/10/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA&theprefset=SHOWMETAR&theprefvalue=1

Feb 19-20 - PHL had 4.6", but also melting as max 7AM snow depth was 3 inches, again marginal temps

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPHL/1969/2/19/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA&theprefset=SHOWMETAR&theprefvalue=1

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPHL/1969/2/20/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA&theprefset=SHOWMETAR&theprefvalue=1

Feb 23 - PHL had 1.9", again quickly melting with a max 7AM snow depth of a trace with marginal temps.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPHL/1969/2/23/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA&theprefset=SHOWMETAR&theprefvalue=1

Mar 1-3 - PHL had 4.8", though this at least stuck around long enough for a 7AM snow depth of 6? (strikes me as off).

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPHL/1969/3/1/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA&theprefset=SHOWMETAR&theprefvalue=1

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPHL/1969/3/2/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA&theprefset=SHOWMETAR&theprefvalue=1

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPHL/1969/3/3/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA&theprefset=SHOWMETAR&theprefvalue=1

Mar 7 - PHL had 4.0", which didn't last long enough to have more than 2" on the ground on any day at 7AM

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPHL/1969/3/7/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA&theprefset=SHOWMETAR&theprefvalue=1

Ray, thanks a lot for finding this. I looked on Wunderground too, but couldn't find the snowfall totals (beyond 0.30). I also think I may have the Feb. 23rd and March 2nd events crossed, they were both weekend events, one was spread out over a longer period of time, and produced the 10" total. At any rate, thanks again!

the March 2nd 1969 storm was kind od weird...NYC got 3" while eastern Long Island got close to a foot...But Port jervis N.Y. recieved 30"...I remember the forecast busted low for NYC...

Do you remember the one on Feb. 19-20 that backed in off the ocean? That was pretty cool, maybe even unexpected a few days out. Increasing clouds and north winds all day Wednesday and snow around sunset, an overnight snow (wet though). I'm not sure but NYC might have gotten rain from that one?

Do you remember the one on Feb. 19-20 that backed in off the ocean? That was pretty cool, maybe even unexpected a few days out. Increasing clouds and north winds all day Wednesday and snow around sunset, an overnight snow (wet though). I'm not sure but NYC might have gotten rain from that one?

yeah NYC got mainly rain from that.

Archived